The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
Scott76

79 C10 project

Picked this truck up a couple weeks ago for 2175. 30 over 454 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, 650 Holley carb. The body is very rough, but I'm okay with that for now. It was an eBay purchase, so I rolled the dice a little bit I suppose, especially since I drove 800 miles one way to get it.

It ran and drove, and seemed pretty problem free driveline wise. It is very rough though, and the interior will be a total redo. There is a lot of hack work on it, for example using 2" primary long tube headers on the passenger side and block huggers on the right. Entire exhaust system was held in place with bailing wire.

Get it home and it won't start because the battery is drained, so there must be a loss somewhere. Noticed a few other things like leaking power steering lines, broken turn signal cam, numerous other little things. Someone cut an inch out of the lower frame rails to fit the stupid big headers, no big deal welded it back up.

I ordered new 1 7/8" primary tube headers, an x pipe, a couple flowmasters and some tubing. Also put American Racing Boulevard wheels in 18x9 with 285/40s all the way around. Also dropped it 4.5/6 with dropped spindles and springs up front and a flip kit in the rear. Put on a Quick Fuel 780 carb since the Holley it had on it was rough and had no choke provisions. I've ordered new floor pans, a new turn signal cam, a TCI Outlaw shifter, cab body mounts and a ton of other little things. This weekend I hope to get the exhaust welded up and fit some of the other things, found some wires melting into the headers, etc.

It's been fun, but a struggle at times. I've been building bikes from the ground up for the past couple decades, including crank up motor builds, but I'm finding there just isn't much crossover besides basic mechanical ability. There are just so many more systems and so much more complexity. It seems like I'm finding so many things I just know nothing about.
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
Scott76

Re: 79 C10 project

This is how it is currently. Hoping to get the column and electrical issues sorted this weekend and the exhaust system welded up. Then the plan is to get the replacement for pans welded in the TCI floor shifter installed. I predict I will have problems figuring out the wiring for the backup lights switch and the neutral safety switch.

Also, it rides an inch higher on the passenger side, not even sure I wanna find out why that is. It was that way when I got it, so it's not from the drop. With my luck the frame will be twisted or something. I'm just trying to keep plugging away at it and not get frustrated. It feels overwhelming at times.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

nice looking truck good luck... want this moved to the build section?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Scott76

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
nice looking truck good luck... want this moved to the build section?
Yes please, actually just noticed that.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
daddyjeep

Congrats on the purchase. It appears that, even though building a truck is new to you, you are doing it right. Are you ultimately going to leave it the black matte? I think it looks great that way with the wheels you picked.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Scott76

Thanks! Actually I'm going to paint it satin black, and then paint all the trim pieces gloss black.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
Scott76

Progress continues. Wiring is 99% fixed, new headers are on, and I made this crossmember since the PO hacked the stock one to hell, and I would have had exhaust clearance issues anyway. Hoping to get the exhaust built by the end of the week, then it's on to the floors and interior, etc, etc, etc.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #8
daddyjeep

Good looking cross member.

It looks like you are sharing the shop with a rather large wet dog.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
Scott76

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Good looking cross member.

It looks like you are sharing the shop with a rather large wet dog.
Lol. She's actually only about 60 pounds, but she goes everywhere I do. So if I'm in the shop and its raining outside, she tracks her muddy paws in there.