The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2018, 04:35 PM   #26
Matt_50

Re: Choosing a transmission crossmember

The crossmember is inside the frame. That first pick with the jack is where I used the jack to keep things parallel. Want me to try and get it to stay parallel without jack during mock up?

I suppose the driveshaft needs to be cut anyways, and it probably woudnt hurt to replace u joints. I'll take the yoke off and try this again....
Old 04-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
Matt_50

Ok dsraven I got the yoke off and I did notice the shaft has play until the yoke is seated.

I tried to find a good spot for the angle finder... No real flat spot. What ya think? I also got a socket to fit in the center and set the finder on it too.

I'm about 4-5 degrees in the pics.
Attached Images

Old 04-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #28
dsraven

do you have anything you can slide through across the ujoint spaces, like a deep socket, and then set the angle finder on that? maybe more true that way?
a degree here or there will probably not kill it, especially with leaf springs suspension because the pinion angle will change some with the spring/diff windup changing the angle back there. closer is better though. maybe leave some spacers under the trans mount so you have some room to change things later, like a shim pack. 1/4 inch lower on the mount won't show anyway prolly. if you have vibration later you can add/subtract shims to fine tune the angle. otherwise you could use shims under the frame mount brackets if they bolt on. this would raise the trans in the current scenario with the brackets above the frame. if the cross member is removable, like bolted to the frame, you could also install it under the frame if required later to lower the trans. get it as close as you can and fine tune it when the truck is on the road?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #29
Matt_50

I guess close is good and I can fine tune later, even if engine mounts are welded and can't rotate? A shim here or there won't be to much stress on the unmoving engine mounts?

I think I got the jist of what you were saying about running something through it. I could find a tubing of the right diameter to fit snug and read off it.

I wouldn't use the pieces in the pics .. just using for reference... this what you had in mind?
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #30
dsraven

yup. engine mounts can also be made to adjust. what style are you running?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:17 AM   #31
Matt_50

I bought this kind, ends are welded to frame but I haven't welded ends to the tube yet. So it can rotate and I can get everything just right.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #32
dsraven

your engine cross member will bolt in, so you have the ability to slot the mounting holes if required, or drill them smaller at first, slot them as required, then make them round and use a larger bolt in the larger, rounded hole
Old 04-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #33
Matt_50

The ends that bolt have been welded in. I just havent welded the inner tube to the ends yet, so it can still rotate at the moment.