The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
reichdav

Door locks

71 Burb. The doors (all 3) will lock when they're open, but not when they're closed. I have had the panels off and can't see anything obvious. Doesn't matter if the windows are up or down. Don't know if new latches and/or strike plates will make a difference.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
57 3100
71 C10
71 GMC Suburban
98 GMC 1500
reichdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
ChopsawSurgeon

Re: Door locks

Have you tried any lube on the lock prawl part of the latch? My third door lock is really sticky from not being used.

*Edit* Try to avoid using WD-40, it tends to gather dirt. You want to use something that doesn't collect dirt, or at the very least a penetrating oil.

Last edited by ChopsawSurgeon; 03-19-2016 at 01:06 PM.
ChopsawSurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
reichdav

I think I recently used white grease on them, but not PB Blaster type stuff. I will try that. The pawls,the spur rowel looking part, seems to move ok. It's just weird that all 3 doors have the same problem. The PO removed the vents in front and put in electric windows and set up the doors for PDL. I thought that might be the issue, but the back door is OEM. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
04sshd

you're not talking about locking the door then closing it and not staying locked are you?
1978 Chevy Corvette Silver 25th Anniversary
reddit.com/r/chevyc10 <-Join it!
04sshd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
reichdav

No. I know better than that. If I push any of the 3 buttons down when that door is open, it goes down all the way and locks. The button does not go down fully when door is closed therefore not locking.Using the key on either front door will not lock them either when door is closed but will when it's open. My theory is something is binding when the door closes but I can't see or figure out what. And why in blazes is it happening to all of them? They worked, though not good,when I bought it about 18 months ago. I didn't do anything to any of the doors that I recall.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
ChopsawSurgeon

You might be right on the binding part, only other thing i can think of is that the doors weren't adjusted properly after the window conversion. They could be adjusted where they are latched, but only just enough and the latch is in limbo between the two and not allowing the lock to slide.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

If there is a lot of pressure on the latch with the doors shut it will cause you not to be able to lock them. One of my old trucks I had to push up on the door handle to lift the door(while shut) and turn the key at the same time to get it to lock. My case was due to worn hinge pins.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #8
reichdav

I have with the help of a friend adjusted the 3 doors as alignment was poor when I got it. The binding on the latches makes a lot of sense. The latches and strike plates appear to be OEM and who knows how much wear they've seen. I will try to make adjustments on them without screwing up the opening and closing. If that doesn't work, I might have to spring for new ones. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Mark around the strikers with a fine felt tip pen and move them out 1/16" at a time until the locks start working. Make sure they don't drop down any.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
reichdav

Will do. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
3757chevy

My 72 blazer won't lock from the outside with a key on the drivers side but will unlock. On the passenger side it locks from the outside but won't unlock with the key. So to lock it up I have to climb out the passenger side after I have locked the drivers form inside and lock passenger side from the outside. To get back in I have to use the key in the drivers side,any ideas?
3757chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
3757chevy

i guess i put this question in the wrong spot . didn't notice I'm asking blazer stuff in the burb and panel section..oops! I've owned 6 c10's and never had door locks concerns
Old 04-07-2016, 01:27 AM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3757chevy View Post
i guess i put this question in the wrong spot . didn't notice I'm asking blazer stuff in the burb and panel section..oops! I've owned 6 c10's and never had door locks concerns
Doesn't really matter on that, the locks all work the same. The first thing I would do is to put the nozzle of the penetrating oil can (something with Teflon in it works best) into the lock cylinder key hole and give them a good spray, then slide the key in and out a few times to loosen up the tumblers in the lock then try turning them. If that doesn't help roll the window all the way down and with a good light you should be able to see the back of the door lock and the latch mechanism down inside the door. (at least on the pickups and Burbs you can) Spray all of that with the penetrating oil and lock & unlock it with the interior lock button, then try the key again.

Let me know if that works or not.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #14
3757chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Doesn't really matter on that, the locks all work the same. The first thing I would do is to put the nozzle of the penetrating oil can (something with Teflon in it works best) into the lock cylinder key hole and give them a good spray, then slide the key in and out a few times to loosen up the tumblers in the lock then try turning them. If that doesn't help roll the window all the way down and with a good light you should be able to see the back of the door lock and the latch mechanism down inside the door. (at least on the pickups and Burbs you can) Spray all of that with the penetrating oil and lock & unlock it with the interior lock button, then try the key again.

Let me know if that works or not.

LockDoc
We been short handed at work so I may have try all that on my next day to myself and the blazer , Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
We been short handed at work so I may have try all that on my next day to myself and the blazer , Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.
Sounds good.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-10-2016, 11:41 PM   #16
3757chevy

Whew...... busy couple days. My daughter got married Friday , I worked 10 hrs yesterday, and we were busy because of second super Saturday at a certain parts store I work at. Then today my wife and I travelled a hundred miles round trip to Red Lobster (Lobster Fest). Oh yah and a stop at Wally World on the way home for some grocery items. But... somehow I got time to try all the things LockDoc suggested. No change. It did make everything it was doing easier but what I did notice, the cylinders only turn to the right so even if I took them out and switch sides it wouldn't change anything either.

Last edited by 3757chevy; 04-10-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: poor spelling
Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 AM   #17
theclockdoctor

My passenger door was the same way. Just bought new latch assembly, now works super smooth. Worth the money. Also had Leon,"LockDoc" redo all the lock cylinders for me. Super fast service, all keys work butter smooth, and a great price.
theclockdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:56 PM   #18
3757chevy

My blazer just rolled over 95k miles and I have been trying to keep from changing to many oe parts to aftermarket It's only an inconvenience not broken. I have an extra set of locks if I had to. Thanks guys.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Whew...... busy couple days. My daughter got married Friday , I worked 10 hrs yesterday, and we were busy because of second super Saturday at a certain parts store I work at. Then today my wife and I travelled a hundred miles round trip to Red Lobster (Lobster Fest). Oh yah and a stop at Wally World on the way home for some grocery items. But... somehow I got time to try all the things LockDoc suggested. No change. It did make everything it was doing easier but what I did notice, the cylinders only turn to the right so even if I took them out and switch sides it wouldn't change anything either.
Take one of the locks out and see if it will turn in both directions. Then reach in and see if you can work the lock mechanism by hand. There is a tumbler cover on the inside of the locks that sometimes comes loose and keeps the lock from turning in one or both directions.

LockDoc

-
Old 04-13-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
infinite-foamies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sshd View Post
you're not talking about locking the door then closing it and not staying locked are you?
Why would that not work?
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #21
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite-foamies View Post
Why would that not work?
Because '67-'72 Chevy trucks will not do that. It was a feature so that you couldn't lock your keys in the truck. You have to lock them with the key, from the outside.....

LockDoc

-
Old 04-14-2016, 12:35 AM   #22
3757chevy

Today I looked an echlin dlk11 lock set listed for our trucks and it turns both ways (right and left), as does the set I have at the house so.. if I take things apart I may as well put new cylinders in. I'll just have a different key for the doors than the lift gate and ignition. No big deal Sorry to steal your thread reichdav. thanks for the help!

Last edited by 3757chevy; 04-14-2016 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Today I looked an echlin dlk11 lock set listed for our trucks and it turns both ways (right and left), as does the set I have at the house so.. if I take things apart I may as well put new cylinders in. I'll just have a different key for the doors than the lift gate and ignition. No big deal Sorry to steal your thread reichdav. thanks for the help!

No problem. New might be the way to go.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-17-2016, 12:20 AM   #24
455wagon

None of mine will lock from the outside with a key unless I grab the handle and push the door inward. Its too tight on the weather stripping. It will just bind otherwise. None will unlock from the inside unless I grab the inside door handle and wiggle it a ton.......same deal I guess, too tight on the weather stripping. I plan on fixing it when I put in new weather stripping , but for now.......less water inside is a better deal.
455wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #25
69chevytrucker

the door latch is worn out nothing to do with the lock i went threw this last year with my truck there is a post about it on here somewhere. the little sprocket thing that is on the latch wears and puts negitive pressure on the lock that is why some can get the lock to work when they press on the door cause it take the pressure off the lock.
69chevytrucker is offline   Reply With Quote