The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Tuffy66

305 V-8 motor question for the engine guys

Got a question for you guys. I got a 85 305 motor in my 66 c10. it sat for about 3 years and finally got it going. The motor has been missing so I cleaned the distrubtor cap and took the plugs out. Now the #8 cylinder plug was filthy. There was a carbon like stuff on the elctrode. I had to chilsel the stuff off of it. I cleaned it put it back in and turned the motor over a few times, and again there was like a sludge all over the end of it again. Also if you have he motor runing there is a little oil that comes out of the back of the motor after it gets warm I am assuming it from the valve covers but not sure. The right side plugs were very dry and left side was wet. Now what do you guys think is wrong or anyone got a remedy. I am thinking a new motor. Thanks for any imput.
Tuffy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: 305 V-8 motor question for the engine guys

Sounds like #8 might have a bad set of rings or bad valve guides in the head. I would perform a compression test. If that cylinder is lower than the others, squirt a little bit of oil in there and re-test it. If the compression comes back up, you have bad valve guides. If it doesn't, then you have bad rings and/or bad guides.

Good luck!

Last edited by Corts60; 07-17-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
scooter122983
The Man The Myth The Mystery

Re: 305 V-8 motor question for the engine guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corts60 View Post
Sounds like #8 might have a bad set of rings or bad valve guides in the head. I would perform a compression test. If that cylinder is lower than the others, squirt a little bit of oil in there and re-test it. If the compression comes back up, you have bad valve guides. If it doesn't, then you have bad rings and/or bad guides.

Good luck!
Im 100% that if you squirt oil in there and pressure goes up you have bad rings. The oil creates a somewhat of a temporary seal on your rings and cylinder. If this does nothing then you have a bad valve seal.
scooter122983 is offline   Reply With Quote