The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

Any Auto 5 hunters?

I first saw a Browning Automatic 5 shotgun when I went hunting with a best friend in high school. He used it all the time, no matter what the weather, and got great results with it. He likened it to "a 40mm anti aircraft gun in WW2 shooting at Jap planes." If you had to put that much lead out on a squirrel, yes it would be! LOL

I bought myself one in 2003 after I graduated college, a reblued and gorgeous 1950's model. I now have five. Two in 12 gauge, two in 16 gauge, and one in 20 gauge. I am looking forward to hunting with the 16 and 20 this fall.

I think it's a beautiful shotgun, so graceful, and with vent rib barrel and "flat knob" pistol grip, it really gets my attention.

I haven't been hunting since 2010 but I really want to get afield this year.

Any Auto 5 members here?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Any Auto 5 hunters?

Any Browning is worth it's weight I'm a fan of the lever action .22 lr and the .22 semi that is 2 piece and ejects spent rounds down and away is a beautiful thing ... We used to hunt with LC Smith doubles back in the 70's and now they run in the $6-7,000.00 range . But my favorite has to be the lowly Mossberg 500 A1 riffled slug in 12 gauge Now thats a cannon and as a home defense weapon all you have to do is let any intruder hear a pump rack once and they are gone !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Any Browning is worth it's weight I'm a fan of the lever action .22 lr and the .22 semi that is 2 piece and ejects spent rounds down and away is a beautiful thing ... We used to hunt with LC Smith doubles back in the 70's and now they run in the $6-7,000.00 range . But my favorite has to be the lowly Mossberg 500 A1 riffled slug in 12 gauge Now thats a cannon and as a home defense weapon all you have to do is let any intruder hear a pump rack once and they are gone !
Are you speaking from experience? LOL

I once answered the door at 1 AM with an SKS rifle in hand (locked and loaded) and bayonet mounted. The knocker's eyes were as big as hub caps! He said in a shaky voice "what-what do you need that for?"

I replied "depends on why you are here." He said he couldn't get up the hill and wanted to park in my driveway. I told him he could but I added in a grave voice "just don't block me in."

He didn't block me in.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

^^funny^^..
We never could afford brownings when I was growing up..those were rich town folk guns
I've started answering the door with my coach gun..very few people have any business at my place anyway
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

3 years ago I sprung for a Browning Maxus, 3 1/2". It's like a modern version of the A5. Light, swings nice, long forcing cone, grippy stock. It's my waterfowl gun. Since I bought it they went up $350. And I have yet to out pace the action on it
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
midniteblues

I'm not big into collector guns I've had a few in the past but I've either sold them off or traded for more practical peices.

However I won't ever off my trusty ole' gold trigger 500a.
It was all but new when I bought it for $80. It's eatin its fair share of shells and knock on wood the saftey button hasn't broke yet.
Nobody is ever gonna mistake the "click clack" of the action for politeness when knocking on my door.
Anybody who really knows me though knows that s&w allways has my back.

I had bought my oldest boy a sks for his 12th b-day back when they were still cheap.
It was one of those crate deals that was wrapped in paper and packed with cosmoline.
It was really cool too watch him learn about it and disassemble it and clean it up.
That gun started his hobby.
One of the ak forums he is on used a pic one of his ak's for their homepage awhile ago, that was pretty cool knowing that I started it all with that $89 sks.

It's pretty sad too think the last round I let loose(Besides the gammo) was on new years eve.

Really gotta get my azz out and do some chootin.

Two weeks ago i let one of my cheap but fun guns go.
I gave a 9 mm high point carbine and $300
( basically $500) for a decent 06 cobalt puddle jumper.
I really needed a fuel efficient car for getting around more than a 9mm.
It's the smallest car "ive" ever owned.
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.

Last edited by midniteblues; 06-23-2017 at 09:54 PM.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote