The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
svr

Eyes needed

I need a few of you peeps to give me your thoughts on the centering of my front wheels in the front fenders.one time i look and think its good and the next i think it needs to move forward just a bit, like a 1/4" or so maybe. If i do move it i'll have to modify my front motor mount a little to clear the power steering lines on my R&P but no real big deal.
Attached Images

svr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:50 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Eyes needed

Is that ride height?..the way it sits now it does look as if it could go forward just a tic..if you take the tire off and keep truck at ride height just set the tire in the floor and move it forward a little from where it is now and see what it looks like..but it doesn't look bad where it is
Are you using a vette crossmember?..setting caster/camber will make a wheel move forward and back a slight bit...
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 AM   #3
MARTINSR

Yep, it looks like it needs to go forward. And cudos to you, you are doing the right thing. It's so often overlooked, putting that sheetmetal on and standing back and taking a look at it, that is the way to do it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
svr

Yes that is planned ride height, and that is using my homemade flatout style cross member with no added alignment spacers in it so yes it could move some just from an alignment job. Will also play with the fenders a bit and tighten them up, they are just kinda hanging there now.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
dsraven

it looks pretty good there, if that is the tire size and ride height you are going to keep. if anything it could go forward a very small amount like you say. if the steering is centered so the wheels are straight ahead, and the alignment is really close, then I like to check the tire gap right about at the height of the top of the frame for this ride height. you look pretty close there.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
72Mountaineer

It looks good to me, I doubt weather 1/4" will make that much difference. You're looking at it at a perfect angle and height now, that doesn't happen very often at all.
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
my56chevytruck

I'm with 72mountainneer, I think it looks good there. I applaud you and others, if you can see 1/4" difference would make.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Kartch1

If you think it needs a 1/4" then do it now. If you are like me it will bug you forever if you don't take care of it now.
Kartch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #9
Speedbumpauto

My eye says forward slightly also. The tightest gap at the rear angle seems slightly smaller than the tightest gap on the front. Personally, if I'm going to miss it slightly, be it alignment or whatever, I want to miss forward rather than to the back. Having said all that, it looks "OK" where it is. I think that low pro vette tire might be a little deceiving.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
59chev

Is that your final tire size? I ran into a problem with my clip where it looked good with the 14" rollers that came with the camaro but when I switched to my intended wheels and tires, it was 3/4 of an inch too far forward.

So my advice is to make sure that is the wheels and tires that you are planning on running.

I agree with some of the others, could go forward just a hair..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
dsraven

like 59 chev says, get some tires on there that will be the tire size of the final project. the tire size makes a big deal on these type of wheel openings. ask the tire shop if they have some skins from the recycle bin you can get for free for mock up.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:12 PM   #12
svr

Those are 285 40-17's, 26" diameter, undecided on finished tire size, but these seem a little small.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:03 AM   #13
mr48chev

That just a tic forward would make it perfect but right now it looks a heck of a lot better than most of them you see. It sure isn't worth taking it back apart to move the crossmemmber but if you can just tippy tap it forward that tic I'd go for it

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
svr

Thank guy's, front X member is tacked in with about 8 tack welds, shouldn't be to hard to knock it loose and move it a bit. Front motor mount on my 235 will have to be modified a bit also to clear the PS lines on the R&P, it just tacked in also, only has a match book cover clearance now. Will continue on with mock up and fitting body and box, have to make some mini tub's to clear the these rear tires so just as well then be able to do what ever i want later. Get everything fitted then blow it apart to fix any issues i find, finish the welding and paint, easy right LOL.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
1project2many

Centerline of the horizontal portion of the opening is slightly forward of tire centerline, but wheel in opening does not look disturbingly off-center. Final color will play a big part though. Light color with dark frame, large shiny wheels, and low profile tires could could make difference more noticeable.

The original wheel location does not center the tire under the horizontal center either.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #16
Coupeguy2001

specially if one spoke points up like on the yellow truck
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
Port&PolishMan

Inner Fender on these have a Big Brace like on 54's ?
Plus it look Different with Inner in Place .
Port&PolishMan is offline   Reply With Quote