The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
SunSoaked

Shaft angle after 2pc shaft conversion

Swapped a 4500/205 combo for a th400/208 in 85 k20. Ended up being 11+ inches shorter overall making for a 65" driveshaft. Paying $600 for an aluminum shaft wasn't going to happen. Saturday I pulled a factory 2 pc driveline, x-member and carrier bearing/support out of a 89 burb. This way I only have to shorten one of the shafts, add new joints and good too go. My plan is to install the rear shaft and bolt in the x member where it lands and then shorten the front shaft as required. The only thing I'm wondering about is the pinion angles on the rear shaft? Am I going to have to shim the diff to adjust pinion angle? My truck sits several inches higher than the burb. How did the factory crew cabs w/2 pc shafts account for it, if at all?
Attached Images

SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
nonstop

Re: Shaft angle after 2pc shaft conversion

Many of the factory 2 piece shafts mounted differently. The carrier bearing mounts 180 degrees from yours and uses a bracket mounted to An existing crossmember. You can still use your set up and just space your crossmember down. That should help you with your angles.
nonstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
SunSoaked

Re: Shaft angle after 2pc shaft conversion

Is the goal to minimize the angles or keep them the same angle? I like the idea of having the carrier bearing on top of the x member for off-road protection. Alternatively, I could use the stock shaft (with a slip yoke) and end up with a very short front shaft, but it would be parallel with the output shaft.
SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote