The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #1
studeclunker

Put mine in a ditch too.

Me thinks mebbie I should have kept me mouth shut! Put my own in a ditch this weekend on the way home from Church. Spent the morning in damage assessment. Looks to be very little wrong.

The bed wood is rotten and the left side-wall jumped out and ended up a touch twisted and under the mounting frame. I fixed that today.

A hot wire from the battery was severed and damaged which caused a dead short. Yanked the smoking wire off and stopped that issue. Will have to replace the circuit from the firewall to the breaker (which didn't trip) across to the battery. About six to eight feet of wire.

The battery was thrown out of the tray and punctured in several places. Will have to wash everything on the right side down thoroughly with a baking Soda rinse. The biggest loss is the battery so far.

Front alignment is seriously toed out now. Not sure what to do about that.

Thoroughly ruined the right-rear tire, rim and all.

The hood hinges were bent badly. Had to remove the hood (no noticeable damage to that) to move it. Thankfully I have two parts trucks in Fawn Lodge. '65s both, but the hood hinges are the same... I think.

I'm hoping and praying the drive train wasn't damaged. We sure bounced around and did airs above the ground like a Lipizzaner!

Missed the phone pylon and the Utility pole. The boulder in the ditch got me (I think that's where the truck went airborne and the rear tire died). Yes, the Factory lap belts helped considerably!

Not a good addition to my day...
studeclunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Put mine in a ditch too.

On your way back from church? What did you not confess too?

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
The Rocknrod

Pics?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Next week at church substitute "A 3/4 Ton" for "A Mercedes Benz".
https://youtu.be/Qev-i9-VKlY

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
'65 chevy lover

Dang, too much of this kind of stuff going on! Glad to hear you're not hurt. If you don't have replacement hinges, I have a pair I'd let go cheap. Just slightly over the cost of shipping.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
studeclunker

Sorry, I didn't take any pics. The truck suffered very little visible damage. I am concerned about the front end though. It's really toed-out now. I'm not sure if something was bent as it all looks pretty good. I think the bushings and such need replacing though. Also, the headlamp buckets seem to be... very off. The one side has a broken adjustment screw assembly and it looks like the other side has broken as well. Good thing I don't like driving at night.

LMAO about Confession. No, I'm not R.C.

I have two parts trucks in Fawn Lodge. One of them should have a good pair of hinges. They're both '65s but the hinges should be the same anyway.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #7
studeclunker

Well... spent most of my pension cheque on parts for the truck this week.

I repaired the shorted-out wiring, new tires on the front, and adjusted the alignment so that it doesn't toe-out so much (that turned out a lot easier than I expected). I'll have to figure out how to adjust the camber though as both sides are leaning inward at the top too much. I also have to figure out how to tighten up the steering box as the wheel has entirely too much play. First though I'll have to clean it off. It's pretty grungy.

What was left of the original oak bed has disintegrated. All that bouncing around was the last straw. So right now the bed and sides are really... mobile.

I took the old man out for a short test run today. About four miles round trip. It ran good, shifted well after I figured out the linkage had slipped. So that's another thing I have to fix. In fact, the indicator says neutral when the truck is in drive. Oi... Thankfully an easy thing to fix. Will be replacing the bent hood hinges next week when I go to Fawn Lodge.

Noticed a dent in the bed today too (right side). Looks like it might be easy to knock out with a rubber mallet.