The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-28-2018, 06:11 PM   #1
MikeB

Any differences in side trim vendors?

Looking to buy a lot of stainless side trim for a 69. Does anyone know if some manufacturers/vendors are better than others. In the past I have been happy with Kenny's Trucks and H&H Classic for various parts, but have never bought any trim parts from them. And now it looks like Kenny's is no longer in business.

Thanks.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: Any differences in side trim vendors?

I can tell you a bought my trim from LMCrap.
The clips were too small and wouldn't lock inside the trim, just spun around when trying to tighten the nut Garbage.
RRM
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Yes, Mar-K makes it in Kansas, USA and it is the best

www.mar-k.com

LMC stands for Let Me C if they sent the correct part

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-28-2018 at 11:49 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Chevyland

I’ve used several vendors before, and always thought it was pretty flimsy
Thanks Tim
I bookmarked their website, pretty pricey, but
I’m going to try them next time

Has anyone else used their trim before ?
Can you tell the difference from other vendors ?

It’s not quite nos prices, but if it’s close to that quality it might be worth it
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #5
painterljp

We got ours at Mar-K for 68 fits good and still looks good after 4-5 years. Pretty happy with it. Going to get some lower Wood grain for a shortbed sometime soon. Will get it from them. Just my .02 cents.
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:51 PM   #6
cornerstone

Well I just bought a complete wood grain set with all hardware for the top and bottom for my 72 short fleet from Truck Shop out of Orange, Ca. at the Pate swap meet, here in Texas. They didn't have it on the truck but will ship it for free. I should have it by next weekend or so. I paid way less than Mar-K and I will report back with initial observations and pics since I wont be installing them for at least a couple of months. I made the purchase with the boss man and he told me a few things that were VERY interesting in regard to the business in general. I feel I need to do some research before I blab. If these parts come in and look like I hope... I will be doing all my buying through him.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #7
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yes, Mar-K makes it in Kansas, USA and it is the best

www.mar-k.com

LMC stands for Let Me C if they sent the correct part
Their website says they are made in Oklahoma City... not that it matters
Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
cornerstone

So I’m reporting back now since the side trim came in from The Truck Shop. The packages say “counterpart” and there is a made in Taiwan sticker also. The box with the lower wood grain trim had been crushed a little but only the longest pieces of trim have a slight arch bent into them and easily laid flat with minor pressure. I think I can straighten them to perfection without a problem. The upper trim came in a long hard cardboard tube with no problems. All the hardware is included for upper and lower trim. My first impression of the trim is excellent. It has nearly a mirror finish and the black striping looks to be the correct finish, kind of a satin/flat look. The wood decal appears to be correct in tone and colors. It’s also a fairly thick vinyl.
I’m no expert for sure but so far I’m glad I saved a ton of money instead of getting it from the “best”, being Mar-K. Anyways here’s what I got.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
davischevy

When I started running out of NOS I started buying from Mar-K. It's made in Oklahoma City (a few pieces are made offshore that are disclosed on their website).

I have bought a couple of sets now, and I can't tell Mar-K from NOS.

The only complaint I have is I was going to pick up a set on the way through OKC and they didn't have a complete set in stock. I had to pay shipping even though I drove within a mile of the store.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #10
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
When I started running out of NOS I started buying from Mar-K. It's made in Oklahoma City (a few pieces are made offshore that are disclosed on their website).

I have bought a couple of sets now, and I can't tell Mar-K from NOS.

The only complaint I have is I was going to pick up a set on the way through OKC and they didn't have a complete set in stock. I had to pay shipping even though I drove within a mile of the store.
Thanks for the input Davischevy. Based on the photos that I posted do you think this stuff compares to NOS or Mar-K?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #11
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Thanks for the input Davischevy. Based on the photos that I posted do you think this stuff compares to NOS or Mar-K?
Quite honestly your trim looks great. The only way to tell would be to compare yours to some original trim.

I have never examined or even held any import trim so I have no way to compare.

Even the original trim was not effective against door dings. I put a set of NOS on a truck once and got a door ding right off the bat and never did figure out where it came from.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #12
davischevy

Quote:
I came up through Weatherford and Springtown a while back. I stopped at a swap meet in Decatur.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 PM   #13
Traviz02

I plan on using mar-k on my build. Sounds like it’s good stuff
Traviz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #14
72Cheyenne454

When I was restoring my k20 (now sold), I ordered a complete upper and lower set of trim from a large retailer, that supports our trucks. If I remember correctly, all the pieces had Counterpart stickers on them. Although the pieces looked great, the fit was less than desirable. The punched mounting screw holes on the lower rear bed and the front lower fender trim pieces didn't even come close to lining up.

In addition, the upper bed pieces were really wavy. Meaning, when I laid the trim pieces on edge on my granite kitchen counters, I could see air between the trim and the granite in multiple spots - like 1/8" plus in several spots. The retailer finally agreed to a prepaid return and money back after sending them multiple pictures of the numerous issues.

I then ordered a full set of Mar-K trim through Brothers Trucks and couldn't have been happier. Looked great, nice and straight and the holes lined up.
Attached Images

72Cheyenne454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:35 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I haven't dealt with Mar-K for so long I guess I forgot where they are located. It's also not stainless, but anodized aluminum trim and I never caught that in the original post until now. I knew that The truck Shop is the sales end of their manufacturing company called Counterpart, which is what many independent vendors carry. looking at part of a loose piece of trim will only tell us the quality of the finish, but nothing about the fit. I know those guys and most of their products are decent. My point was, even if their trim is on level with Mar-K's, Mar-K's is better simply because it is made in the USA. Can't complain about jobs and manufacturing being sold out to foreign countries when the very reason that is happening is just what you admitted... to save a buck. To me it is worth the extra purely out of principle, when quality is made right here by fellow working Americans just like us.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 05-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #16
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
My point was, even if their trim is on level with Mar-K's, Mar-K's is better simply because it is made in the USA. Can't complain about jobs and manufacturing being sold out to foreign countries when the very reason that is happening is just what you admitted... to save a buck. To me it is worth the extra purely out of principle, when quality is made right here by fellow working Americans just like us.
I'm just trying to inform these "fellow working Americans like us" of what my experience with this trim is. The fact is I spent over 450. LESS than what Mar-k charges...so yeah I like the idea of helping a forum brother out that way. Please keep your guilt trip to yourself..... Like everything you own is American made, give me a break man. My intention was only to inform, not to sell. Are you the Mar-k Sales Manager? This will really chap your hide, I've been in business 25 years and ALL of my employees are hispanic Americans. Oh, and last time I checked L.M.C. was an American company too, but they are not on your who to support list?
I agree on saving american jobs and dont mind paying some more if its a better product, just like the rest of us. In my first response in this thread I mentioned that I spoke with the bossman, and he told me of some things that I wanted to verify before I said anything that I thought might not be true. What Ken from The Truck Shop told me was that HE was the the manufacturer and supplied many of the very dealers that were at the Pate swap meet, many of which I am a frequent customer of. THEN he said that he sells his trim to MAR-K.....Now, I generally am a pretty good judge of character, and I ordered his complete trim set. If I take a hickey and the stuff doesn't fit right, I will speak the truth about it so everyone on this excellent forum will know the "differences in side trim vendors" like the OP was questioning. Moderators, I really did try hard to keep it tame here.

Yeah Davischevy you were right in my neck of the woods, I missed the Decatur swap meet this year, how was it?
Old 05-05-2018, 05:05 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Your guilt comes from within. I was first to reply in this thread asking "Any difference between side trim vendors?" and my reply was Mar-K, which you quoted and corrected. I base my opinion on two things, the first being spelled out by another member showing a beautiful K/20 for an example...which was posted while I typed. The second thing I just spelled out because I see it as making a difference. That's all. You can take my words any way you want. I also deal with The Truck Shop and use Counterpart products. As I also stated, but not quoted, "most of their products are decent". ALL the vendors we deal with... LMC (I don't), Truck Shop, Brothers, GMC Paul, Bill Athey, Classic Heartbeat, Frank Hamm, and on and on are American businesses. Who doesn't know that? I only made my comments on Mar-K offering American made products to demonstrate "why" their products run higher, in response to your saved money by not using them. It's not that they are putting a large mark-up on cheaply produced foreign product. It's that their cost to produce is in direct proportion to the costs you, I, and our fellow working Americans know as reality. BTW, Hispanic Americans are "working Americans like us" too, right? And the reason you hire them is not to get cheaper labor, right? I see you are in Texas. Hispanics (Mexican) were there before your people. They very much belong there and deserve to work, so no issues from me on that matter.

I buy made in USA whenever I can. No,everything I own is not made in USA, but I can say with confidence I buy as few new modern products as possible and if there is a made in USA alternative I am willing to spend what it takes so I can live by my own words as closely as possible.

Tim

Old 05-05-2018, 08:44 AM   #18
painterljp

Delete

Last edited by painterljp; 05-05-2018 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Delete
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
davepl

I will pay a modest price premium for "Made in the USA". I will pay a significant price premium for quality.

But I won't buy junk just because it's American, though thankfully that is very rare.

I too wound up with Mar-K, but honestly was unhappy with the black paint portion of the trim. It was uneven and made the trim look bendy, so I had to clean it all up by hand.

In my mind that should have been done at the factory, not at my house. But not the end of the world.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I will pay a modest price premium for "Made in the USA". I will pay a significant price premium for quality.

But I won't buy junk just because it's American, though thankfully that is very rare.

I too wound up with Mar-K, but honestly was unhappy with the black paint portion of the trim. It was uneven and made the trim look bendy, so I had to clean it all up by hand.

In my mind that should have been done at the factory, not at my house. But not the end of the world.
Unfortunately Dave, some NOS parts were far from perfect. It don't make it right, it just makes it what it is.

I bought a 72 Cheyenne new. I look back on it fondly now, but it had it's share of issues.

I'm not sure I even addressed your statement, but oh well.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #21
davischevy

Quote:
In my first response in this thread I mentioned that I spoke with the bossman, and he told me of some things that I wanted to verify before I said anything that I thought might not be true. What Ken from The Truck Shop told me was that HE was the the manufacturer and supplied many of the very dealers that were at the Pate swap meet, many of which I am a frequent customer of. THEN he said that he sells his trim to MAR-K.....Now, I generally am a pretty good judge of character, and I ordered his complete trim set.
From Mar-K's website. " All mouldings in this kit except cab intermediate and front fender are made in Oklahoma City, USA".

Personally, I figure if you earned the money, spend it how you want. Same for here. I try to buy American when I can, and like Dave said throw me in some quality to make me feel good about the purchase. I always compare products and buy American If given a choice.

My business can't be outsourced overseas. I need you guys working here to support me.

The auto industry (top to bottom) made it easy for the Japanese to become a major player. My Silverado SS was made in Mexico. Now what the hell, a Super Sport is supposed to be red blooded American.

The fit and finish of the late seventies was at an all time low.

And all this from a simple question about stainless moldings that are actually aluminum.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #22
leddzepp

Board member turpmcspray posted a thread way back comparing all the trim, nos, aftermarket, mar-k. The difference in all of them was negligible, definitely NOT worth the difference in the prices between them.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #23
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Unfortunately Dave, some NOS parts were far from perfect.
Definitely. Bought my 69 C10 (now my son's) back in 1989 when I could still get lots of parts from my Chevy dealer. Among other things, I bought several pieces of trim. All of them fit perfectly, but on some pieces the black paint was hit and miss, like the paint template, mask, or whatever, was not quite right.

But, man that stuff was cheap in 1991-1993 when I restored the truck (even if you factor in inflation). Especially since they sold to me at jobber price. And of course the trim parts came with the proper mounting clips and nuts.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!

Last edited by MikeB; 05-06-2018 at 11:56 AM.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Board member turpmcspray posted a thread way back comparing all the trim, nos, aftermarket, mar-k. The difference in all of them was negligible, definitely NOT worth the difference in the prices between them.
...when you only consider the appearance. When you consider the offshore product was made at a fraction of the cost of made in USA, then marked up hundreds of percents, then that is what is overpriced just to put more money in Mr. Big's pocket. Our difference in perspective shows our difference in age. Folks younger than those who knew the day of the USA being the manufacturing giant, such as the time these great trucks were built, came along with things as they are now as being the norm. While folks my age watched jobs go away and factories close down all to perhaps save the consumer a nickle, or worse... solely to put more money in Mr. Big's pocket. Like Davis Chevy, my labor can't be outsourced to another country because my work is done on site. We suffer from another yet similar issue now (perhaps not on AR), the labor coming here to knock the bottom out of our wages. Sorry I don't like all this, but I am thinking beyond myself to my children and their children, as well as back to my forefathers who laid the tracks to the gravy train these people are now riding on. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I could go to another country with my 45 years of experience and skills to make multiples more money than in the country where I was born. If you younger folks had lived through what I have then you would see things differently. For you it's just the way it is and makes no difference. I have had to learn to except this because the fact is, that is how it is now. But I don't have to like it and anywhere I can affect things differently I will do that because I was never the one to roll over on his back for that which I feel is wrong. As I said before, the fact that Mar-K pieces are made in the USA is reason enough for me to feel it is worth more. Same as I feel I am worth more than someone who has just come to learn how things are done here. Maybe if foreign doctors and lawyers would come here to earn $20 an hour things would be different. Or to be politicians earning $50k a year. Pretty funny, huh?

Tim

Old 05-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #25
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
I’ve used several vendors before, and always thought it was pretty flimsy
Thanks Tim
I bookmarked their website, pretty pricey, but
I’m going to try them next time

Has anyone else used their trim before ?
Can you tell the difference from other vendors ?

It’s not quite nos prices, but if it’s close to that quality it might be worth it

This is awesome
Not only am I learning
‘The differences in side trim vendors’
I also get to learn
‘The politics of trim’

Some great points taken
The problem might be, if you built a truck with all American made products
It might cost 3 times what it is worth
-I’d venture to say, not many people would do that no mater what age they are-
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote