The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #326
sduckworth13

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Here comes the cab restoration, this is the part I like to watch.
X2 Brian
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #327
Vic1947

Update...

Chassis is home from the frame shop. They were able to remove 100% of the twist and all but 3/32" of the diamond. LeRoy called and explained that if they pulled it all the way, the rearend wouldn't track straight. Told him the track was most important to me and not to worry about the small amount of diamond. I'll compensate for that when I align the cab and bed. It now sits nice and level. The small kinks in the frame up near the LF body mount are gone and the mount now sits in the correct location.

While it was out, I got back on the cab and finished laying the fiberglass. When I pulled the top off, there was a considerable amount of pitting and pinholes around the windshield and door frames. I welded in patches for the worst of it, but for the pitting I elected to use fiberglass for sealing and a bit of strength. After taping over the outside areas where resin might run out, I laid up a couple of layers of chopped mat. Then followed that in some places with a layer of cloth. Also fished a wire down the A-pillar and out a hole in the kick panel near where I will be installing the fuse box. This will allow me to pull wires for the dash cam, GPS antenna and map lights.

While the glass was setting up, I began welding pins for pulling the numerous small dents that cover the back of the cab. There are also some mystery holes in the back where it appears something unknown was screwed on at some point in the past. All will need to be welded shut.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #328
Vic1947

Also, while on the subject of the cab, I previously grafted in a new inner panel which left an ugly seam that I'll cover with a headliner. The repro panel had slots in it for the headliner trim, but the rest of the inner roof did not. Following the instructions on Brother's website, I'm working my way around the perimeter cutting slots as needed. In the front, due to two layers of metal and fiberglass, I knew the clips wouldn't snap into place. Using the Dremel cutter, I put some small windows around the inner panel slots so there would only be one thickness of metal. Not sure trying to make the cheesy plastic trim look nice saved me anything over reworking the inner panel to look good without a headliner. I'm committed to the headliner now, so no use second guessing ...I guess.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #329
Vic1947

Oh, and one other thing. Now that the chassis is square and the drivetrain components are in place, I thought I'd do a trial measurement for the driveshaft length. The trans yoke had very little spline engagement when the clearance for suspension movement was factored in. Turns out the PO had mated a 3R yoke to a driveshaft setup for 1310. The TH400 trans is out of a truck (has the threaded hole in the output shaft) but the yoke had no counterbore. Could have welded a ring on the end and machined it, but I'm not a big fan of welding on a part like that, so I ordered the correct 1310 yoke from Denny's Driveshafts. It properly adapts a one-piece driveshaft to a truck TH400 originally setup for the two piece d/s.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #330
sduckworth13

Nice write up on everything Vic. Glad you got your frame straightened out.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #331
Xeen

Fun fun, it looks like you are making good progress.
Are you planning on coating the inner roof skin with anything before you lay down the thermal barrier to keep any exposed metal from rerusting, if so I would be interested in knowing what product you are going to use.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #332
Low Elco

Glad the frame shop worked out well. Can't wait to see the next step!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #333
Vic1947

Quote:
Fun fun, it looks like you are making good progress.
Are you planning on coating the inner roof skin with anything before you lay down the thermal barrier to keep any exposed metal from rerusting, if so I would be interested in knowing what product you are going to use.
Yes, I plan to spray epoxy on everything but the edges where the adhesive goes that bonds the outer roof skin. All my primer products: epoxy, high build 2K and their associated catalysts / reducers are from Southern Polyurethanes. (www.southernpolyurethanes.com) Been using them for a while now and really like their primers. Never used their topcoats, but I believe they have a good reputation as well.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #334
Vic1947

Primer Day 1 arrived today. Weather was pretty close to ideal for laying on some epoxy. I had a few loose items that needed a protective coating, plus I needed to get a couple of layers to hold out any moisture on the inner roof panel before applying the thermal barrier (which is next up).

Bought a three wheel electric scooter off Craigslist for my dad (who's pushing 90) and delivered it to him yesterday. He emailed me this morning to say he'd rolled it on his first trip around the neighborhood. Now he's laid up with a bum shoulder and the scooter's croaked. Hope my brother can fix it. I'm not sure if they can arrest you for contributing to the delinquency of a senior citizen. I feel bad about providing the crash test vehicle, but I know from a couple of past deals that when he decides he wants something, he doesn't rest until he gets it.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #335
Xeen

The inner roof looks great Vic.
I can't wait to see the firewall installed.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #336
Low Elco

Mmmmmm.... I love the smell of epoxy in the morning. Smells like victory!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #337
mcbassin
Still Learning

Good work on the cab. You are making it look too easy....
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #338
Vic1947

The thermal barrier is on the inner roof except for one small area front and center. Need to get out to Pick and Pull to yank a map light assembly out of a Shhh! (Ford Taurus) to graft into the area between the visors. Once that is done, I'll be very close to buttoning up the roof. Went to Wholesale Paint today and purchased the 3M adhesive I'll use along with a few other supplies.

Meanwhile, today was epoxy primer Day 2... The weatherman assured us last night that there was no rain in the forecast until late tonight. So before lunch, I loaded a small amount of the cream color I used on the engine into the detail gun to paint a couple of small items. As I was finishing up, I felt the air get a little cooler and the wind kick up. Not good, I figured, so I carefully transferred the items from the driveway to inside the workshop. About five minutes later, it started to sprinkle. Didn't last long, but that's what you get when you believe "Kansas City's Most Accurate Forecast".

After lunch, the sun was out and interactive radar on the Weather Channel showed no precipitation anywhere near us, so I uncorked the HVLP and shot a bit more epoxy. It's supposed to turn cool next week and from here on out I'll have fewer days that will be good for primer. I need to quit putting it off.

The correct yoke for the truck TH400 arrived yesterday and I was able to get a measurement on the driveshaft. Will have to have it shortened by 2.75" for it to work. Guess I'll run it down to Inland Truck next week while it's rainy and cold.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #339
sduckworth13

Looking good Vic.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #340
Xeen

Very nice Vic, no more radiant heat bleeding into the cab when the sun is beating down mercilessly durring the summer.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #341
69CST-V

Nice work as always. Keep up the great post with all the detail.

Company Trucks
69CST-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #342
Vic1947

I took the afternoon "off" yesterday and ran a few errands. Dropped off the driveshaft to be shortened 2.75" and handed off the accessory brackets to DeTray Plating for satin nickel coating. Also cruised thru the Pick and Pull and found a map light assembly I think I can modify to fit in the area between the visors. Last stop was at Metal by the Foot to pick up some materials to build a set of outriggers and wheelie bars for my dad's scooter. (A story for another time.)

What little time was left yesterday I spent prepping the cowl for the new firewall. Had to remove the remains of the original f/w and trim the rot away to make way for the new lip I'll build from some sheetmetal strips. I drilled the spotwelds to remove the subframe pieces that attach to the firewall. The new f/w doesn't come with those components and they add a lot of strength, so I'll transfer them before I start the final welding.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #343
Vic1947

With the old firewall cleared away, I scrounged up some material to patch the hole where the heater motor originally fit. The new Vintage Air setup came with a bolt-in patch, but I prefer to weld it in. Plus, the new contour for the passenger side of the firewall (see page 8 of this thread) will cross over the hole, so I want it smoothed out and ready to attach the new lip.

I have several choices for making a patch like this. Most of the time I just grab up a pair of tin snips, but for bigger jobs I'll occasionally use a Rodman nibbler attached to either a power drill or a cordless (when I'm away from the shop.) It doesn't leave a particularly smooth edge unless you're using a rip fence, but nothing works better for complex shapes. I also have a great little tool made by Sykes-Pickavant out of England. I really like it for long straight cuts, and it will also do curves if you first trim it close to the cut line. You can see that I used it to take the corners off the square piece and make a circle. Only problem is, you crave a cup of tea after using it.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #344
Vic1947

I left a little extra around the patch and then used tin snips to fit it to the hole which wasn't exactly round. Before welding in the patch, I filled and ground any pinholes in the general vicinity and then shot the area behind the patch with a couple of coats of rubberized undercoating. With that done, I positioned the patch with magnets and tacked it in place.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #345
Vic1947

I was now ready for the first trial fit of the new firewall. After a couple of false starts, I finally had it in the right spot and clamped it at a few strategic points. Using a blue Stabilo pencil, I marked a line around the outer edge of the recontoured firewall. I'll build a z-shaped lip and offset it to match the existing lip before welding it to the firewall. I'll also replace the rotted lip along the top I had to remove. This will then be the foundation for the pinch weld that attaches the firewall permanently. I finished welding out the round patch and ground it smooth, so tomorrow I'll start on the new pinch weld lip.

I also need to make a decision on the map lights. They need to go in before I can glue the top on. Work, work, work, work, work!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #346
Xeen

Woah you aren't playing around that is an unbelievable amount of progress in that short amount of time Vic, it looks great man.
What did you coat the heater motor section of the inner cowl with?

Last edited by Xeen; 10-15-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #347
swamp rat

Saw that nibbler at the fair this year, pretty cool and works well but man they are pricy!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #348
Vic1947

Quote:
Woah you aren't playing around that is an unbelievable amount of progress in that short amount of time Vic, it looks great man.
What did you coat the heater motor section of the inner cowl with?
I used Loctite rubberized undercoat out of a rattle can. For bigger areas like the wheelwells and underside of the floor, I have a special applicator gun that hooks to the air hose and pulls the undercoat from a can. Made by 3M as I recall.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #349
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Saw that nibbler at the fair this year, pretty cool and works well but man they are pricy!
Bought mine at PRI a number of years ago and you're right, even at the "show special" price it was expensive. Upside is... it still works great and is very handy. Recently at the salvage yard, I was able to remove a panel around the fuel door on a Blazer using the nibbler and a Unibit. Would have never got the job done with snips.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 AM   #350
Low Elco

Man, looks great Vic! Can't wait for the next installment!