The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
chtr65

NOS sail panels

I have seen some discussion on this site about the NOS and the reproduced sail panels for the 64-66 trucks. Could someone please discuss the differences between the two versions? I'am a stickler for NOS parts myself. Often paying much more for a NOS than a repo. I also know that sometimes the differences are very significant, to the eye, as well as fitment. But the difference in the two versions of sail panels is something I've never heard discussed. I would appreciate hearing from those of you that know the difference, if there is. Thanks in advance.
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
Irishbleueyes

Re: NOS sail panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtr65 View Post
I have seen some discussion on this site about the NOS and the reproduced sail panels for the 64-66 trucks. Could someone please discuss the differences between the two versions? I'am a stickler for NOS parts myself. Often paying much more for a NOS than a repo. I also know that sometimes the differences are very significant, to the eye, as well as fitment. But the difference in the two versions of sail panels is something I've never heard discussed. I would appreciate hearing from those of you that know the difference, if there is. Thanks in advance.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=cab+sails
Irishbleueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Irishbleueyes

Sorry, not reproduction.. misread
Irishbleueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #4
jhrusk

I can't speak of NOS but I have multiple sets of originals. I ordered 2 sets of reproduction sets from 2 different companies. Both were counter part items. They looked ok but not in my opinion for a real nice restoration. Maybe daily driver. I ended up sending an original set to a place and had them stripped an polished, cost me $145 with shipping and they turned out real nice. I did have to paint the black back on them. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
chtr65

Thanks for your opinion. Thats the kind of personal info I was hoping for. Interesting that you said you wouldn't use the repros on a nice restoration. I have a NOS aluminum grille in my garage. And It has that aged hue to the color, which is what I look for in NOS trim. I once read somewhere that some fellows where taking NOS aluminum grilles and having them stripped and re-anodized. To each his own. Thank You
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtr65 View Post
Thanks for your opinion. Thats the kind of personal info I was hoping for. Interesting that you said you wouldn't use the repros on a nice restoration. I have a NOS aluminum grille in my garage. And It has that aged hue to the color, which is what I look for in NOS trim. I once read somewhere that some fellows where taking NOS aluminum grilles and having them stripped and re-anodized. To each his own. Thank You
They do that because when these trucks were first being built the anodizing was brighter on these trucks than the NOS grilles that were made later as replacement parts. Sometimes you get lucky and find a bright one and other times there as dull as a used one.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #7
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
They do that because when these trucks were first being built the anodizing was brighter on these trucks than the NOS grilles that were made later as replacement parts. Sometimes you get lucky and find a bright one and other times there as dull as a used one.
The original grill from my '66 was much nicer than the NOS grill I bought... anodizing looked much cloudier on the NOS grill and the stamping didn't seem to be as crisp in places. I'd go with a nice original over NOS in some cases.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote