The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2020, 05:32 PM   #1
1958paul

first time here

thinking about doing a ly6 swap in my 67gmc have a couple ?s. gonna do new bearings, oil pump and timing chain and cam. engine looks clean inside with no ridge in cylinders. doing away with vvt. so should i reuse the stock dish pistons as long as the cylinders check out or swap them to flat top to raise the compression. also truck is a weekend driver thats not used as a truck so should i use a truck cam or something else? thanks paul
1958paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: first time here

Welcome to the forum....

You will find a ton of information about LS Swaps and performance enhancements all within our own forum.
On top of each page is a Search field....ask simple questions like "LS Cam change" and choose the option 67-72 Chevytrucks.com Press the "Google" button and googles search engine will find all forum posts that align with the search question...

If you are looking to post items for Sale you will need to be a paying member...Use the Subscribe button on the top of the webpage....

Again, Welcome aboard....

Bill

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Welcome ...a LY6 in stock form will most likely have more hp than you'll need..stock hp around mid 360s I think and compression around 9.6:1
Unless you just want to hear the cam, the stock one is fine as well as the pistons.
Sound like the engine is already torn down..but keep in mind some of the bolts are tty and the oil pump needs shimmed
I did swap the cam on my current build to a btr stage 1 truck cam..I just wanted it for lope, not necessarily for hp..havnt cranked it yet some I'm curious how itll sound and what it does on the dyno..
Think about the bigger picture though, what trans, rear gear and tire size are you gonna run...all this needs to work together with the engine to optimize the final results

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 10-21-2020 at 07:49 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
skyphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Welcome ...a LY6 in stock form will most likely have more hp than you'll need..stock hp around mid 360s I think and compression around 9.6:1
Unless you just want to hear the cam, the stock one is fine as well as the pistons.
Sound like the engine is already torn down..but keep in mind some of the bolts are tty and the oil pump needs shimmed
I did swap the cam on my current build to a btr stage 1 truck cam..I just wanted it for lope, not necessarily for hp..havnt cranked it yet some I'm curious how itll sound and what it does on the dyno..
Think about the bigger picture though, what trans, rear gear and tire size are you gonna run...all this needs to work together with the engine to optimize the final results

Agreed with everything here. All I wanted to add was even when that stuff doesn't work together, the improvement in performance is dramatic with more power and an overdrive trans if you're coming from stock stuff. Even with the completely wrong rear gears and tires for the current power levels and setup.

Welcome and have fun.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
AussieinNC

Just a short follow up....

I hope you are going to upgrade the brakes on the 67 GMC to at least disk brakes on the front.

I always try and keep safety at the front of modifications for myself and others....

Have fun ...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
1958paul

thanks everyone. yea the truck has power disc brakes on it now. it currently has a 383 in it i just wanted to put something in it thats a little more dependable now im getting up in age.
1958paul is offline   Reply With Quote