The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
JimmyCriswell

Need Help-New Project

I have a 68 chevrolet c10 custom. I had to replace lifters and pushrods as 2 pushrods broke. Will be firing her up over the weekend.

I need to know what makes the most sense in terms of a build order.
So far thinking in order:
Rust Issues (inner and outer rockers on both sides, front a pillar supports, both kick panels
Primer for protection along with cheap paint job temporarily
Power Steering
start on Interior (needs carpet, seat pad and cover, and paint
Drop Kit 2/4
Disc Brakes

Will be doing work to keep it driveable and make improvements until I can do a full frame-off.

To this point, I will have motor running Friday, All safety equipment works, purchased outer half, a piller, kick panel, rocker panel for driver's side. I plan on getting this all welded in and protected.
Will do passenger side when driver's side is complete. I want opinions on the order I should do things in.

I foresee a frame-off in the truck's future but it will be 5-10 years down the road. Is this sensible or retarded>

Jimmy Criswell
JimmyCriswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Need Help-New Project

Main thing is... find out WHY the pushrods broke. If you just toss more rods in it and call it good... you'll be yarding it out of there in short order.

Pushrods don't break or bend because they get old... they break and bend because something somewhere in the rotating assembly stopped or was off to force them to break or bend. They are the weakest link in your top end... so they will sacrifice themselves before other parts.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
JimmyCriswell

I do not know enough to argue for or against that but your point is logical. It is all back together now so I may very well end up going through the same thing in the near future.

Anyhow, I am more interested in recommendations on a building order that is logical such as knowing that I am going to drop the truck when I buy disc brakes...etc.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
hugger6933

Well Jimmy Build order is important to plan and map out so it helps keep you on track to get to where you want to be driving it again.The rockers and pillars and kick panels are a good place to start. I put some on a customers truck and you really have to strip the truck down quite a ways to get the stuff changed out. I had to take off the door and fender. Of course I was doing cab corners at the same time, so I have the bed off. If you do that you want to make sure that the metal work is done so you can put it back together and drive then do the steering then the drop and brakes at the same time. Sounds like you have a solid plan to me.
My problem is not build order, well it is just witch one to build when. I have 7 late models to build , 5 "good" trucks[68 -71 to build] plus a customer truck.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

1) All mechanical work should be finished first

2) then body

3) then interior

parts of each system will overlap but you dont have a truck unless all the mechanical work is done and it drives down the road first
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Brakes first, then the rest of the safety issues. After that reliability, then bodywork, creature comforts(A/C, etc.),then body. Try to keep it a driving project or you may go down the "since I've got it this far down...." hole and never get it back together. Many have bought trucks or parts from an issue like that.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:48 PM   #7
JimmyCriswell

Update on Truck. Everything checked out on the heads. Cleaned them, new gaskets and put them on. Finally got the quadrajet rebuilt. The truck is purring like a kitten. A loud kitten. Still have an exhaust leak on driver and passenger side at center collectors. I am contemplating adding a second set of gaskets. Alternator does not seem to be charging well either. Charging at about 13.6 and won't go any higher than that.

All in all it is drivable and I will keep it that way while I begin to work on the rust. Thanks for all of the help.