The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

While I was installing the tank I thought about how I was going to connect the filler tube to the tank with the bed on, but I thought it would easily come to mind when I had the bed sitting on the frame, but now that it's on there, I'm wonder how the hell I can do it. The solutions I'm thinking of involve leaving out some screws and having to leave out some bolts that hold the bed on there. I did a couple search's but didn't see a solution to my problem. I would appreciate any help here. I kinda feel like an idiot asking these questions, but a simple solution completely evades me!
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
62 Barnfind
Registered User
 
62 Barnfind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Killeen, Tx
Posts: 1,097
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
While I was installing the tank I thought about how I was going to connect the filler tube to the tank with the bed on, but I thought it would easily come to mind when I had the bed sitting on the frame, but now that it's on there, I'm wonder how the hell I can do it. The solutions I'm thinking of involve leaving out some screws and having to leave out some bolts that hold the bed on there. I did a couple search's but didn't see a solution to my problem. I would appreciate any help here. I kinda feel like an idiot asking these questions, but a simple solution completely evades me!
I removed the board that covers the fill hole and drilled it out. Put the board back and installed the fill cap.
__________________
John Z
1962 Chevy C10 Stepside
62 Barnfind
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

How do you put the hose clamp on there? Also, how do you undo the screws that secure the wood down? The nuts that are on the under side of the wood that are blocked by the fuel tank?
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
vince1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Calgary Alberta
Posts: 731
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

I think your tank is coming down again. maybe after removing the board you use a piece of plexiglass to mark the hole?

Even though mine had the hoses coming off the side the tank still went up and down a few times until it all got figured out.

Disregard, I don't know either how you would do it.

Last edited by vince1; 01-09-2018 at 08:42 AM.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #5
raidmagic
Registered User
 
raidmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 278
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

I have a metal floor and was able to reach my arm up in there and tighten the hose clamp. I don't know where my floor sits in relation to a stock wood floor though.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
forestb
Registered User
 
forestb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,086
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

I put a mettle lockable door in the bed wood and my tank has a it's own cap. I have also seen people put a hing on one of the boards so it flips up.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
steven03
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: nj
Posts: 30
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

I have the lmc 15 gallon tank I just installed last week and i was able to get a socket with a long extension on the hose clamps and tighten them down. This is with the factory wood bed floor
steven03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
I removed the board that covers the fill hole and drilled it out. Put the board back and installed the fill cap.
Still curious about how you installed he hose clamp after you put the filler neck on there and, how you got the board off there when the nuts that secure the bolts on are covered by the tank? Did you leave those bolts without nuts??
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
raidmagic
Registered User
 
raidmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 278
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
Still curious about how you installed he hose clamp after you put the filler neck on there and, how you got the board off there when the nuts that secure the bolts on are covered by the tank? Did you leave those bolts without nuts??
I put both hose clamps on the filler neck loose then put my piece of hose on and tightened the bottom clamp. Then put my filler top in the hose and slid the other hose clamp up and tightened it.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #10
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
I put both hose clamps on the filler neck loose then put my piece of hose on and tightened the bottom clamp. Then put my filler top in the hose and slid the other hose clamp up and tightened it.
What I'm talking about is how you were able to get your hand in there to do that. From what I'm seeing with my truck is that, there's not enough room to get a hand in there with the bed on.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #11
raidmagic
Registered User
 
raidmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 278
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
What I'm talking about is how you were able to get your hand in there to do that. From what I'm seeing with my truck is that, there's not enough room to get a hand in there with the bed on.
I was able to go over my frame. Like I said I have a metal bed floor, might be more room. If I remember I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #12
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
I was able to go over my frame. Like I said I have a metal bed floor, might be more room. If I remember I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.
Ok, that would be cool.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #13
62 Barnfind
Registered User
 
62 Barnfind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Killeen, Tx
Posts: 1,097
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
Still curious about how you installed he hose clamp after you put the filler neck on there and, how you got the board off there when the nuts that secure the bolts on are covered by the tank? Did you leave those bolts without nuts??
I have a space between the bed and the top of the tank and it's about 4in. Everything is accessible from under the truck. The tank is bolted on the bottom frame rail so it can easily be taken off when I need to. I do not have to remove the bed to drop the tank.
__________________
John Z
1962 Chevy C10 Stepside
62 Barnfind
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
raidmagic
Registered User
 
raidmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 278
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Here is a shot of the fill tube and a shot from the bottom of the bed side looking up at the space between the frame rail and the bottom of the bed.



raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
oldusafmsgt
Retired USAF
 
oldusafmsgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jasper, AL
Posts: 225
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Seems like it would be doable with the hose clamps orientated so a socket and long extension could tighten them. That's how I've done it on 47-54 trucks.
__________________
1960 Chevy Apache10 Short Fleetside
1961 Chevy Apache10 Short Fleetside
1961 Chevy Apache20 Fleetside
1963 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
1965 Chevy C10 Short Stepside
1965 Chevy C10 Long Fleetside
1966 GMC 1000 Long Fleetside
1966 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside
oldusafmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #16
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Finally got it done. There was a small plastic cover on the inlet of the tank. I put red lipstick on it and raised it up so it would touch the under side of the bed when lowered. Then, raised the bed up to put a pilot hole in it. Then lowered it down to drill the big hole with a hole saw. Then put hose, filler nozzle and clamps on. Then, I was able to look between a 1/2" crack between the bed floor and frame while reaching thru from the left side and tighten the clamps. I was barely able to get my arm far enough in to reach everything but, got it done.Damn to have that done!
Edit: If I had it to do over, I would have used a regular type gas cap with a hinged fuel door. Would be WAY easier!! In fact, when I get around to replacing the bed wood, I'll probably switch over.

Last edited by '65 chevy lover; 01-15-2018 at 11:10 PM.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
'65 chevy lover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ft. Worth, Tx
Posts: 502
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Here is a shot of the fill tube and a shot from the bottom of the bed side looking up at the space between the frame rail and the bottom of the bed.



Thanks for posting pictures. Looks like you had a ton of room
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #18
raidmagic
Registered User
 
raidmagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 278
Re: How to connect fill tube to tank with bed on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '65 chevy lover View Post
Thanks for posting pictures. Looks like you had a ton of room
Yeah, I did cut my arm all up on that one screw sticking up btw
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com