The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
botoepfer

whipper motor

Hi Folks I rescued a whipper motor out of a 66 c 10 and before I damage it can someone tell me what terminals to use to test its function
botoepfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Rusty63

Re: whipper motor

how many terminals on your motor?

Last edited by Rusty63; 02-14-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Rusty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

Both the 3 and 4 terminal wiper motors have one terminal that's spaced a bit farther away from the others. That one is the "low" speed terminal.

The next terminal over (after the gap / space) is the "high" speed terminal. Right next to that is the "+12V power" terminal. And if there's a 4th terminal, that is also a "+12V power" terminal that (along with a short jumper wire) feeds power to the washer pump solenoid.

The washer pump solenoid will have 2 terminals that point off in a different direction than the other 3 or 4 motor terminals.

The "+12V power" terminal is wired directly to the "wiper" fuse in the fuse box that is live whenever the key is on. The dash switch grounds both the "low" and "high" motor terminals to run the wipers on low speed. The switch only grounds the "high" motor terminal to run the wipers on high speed. There is also a ground strap (bridging over one of the rubber motor mounting grommets) to provide a case ground that is used by the motor's internal park switch. That park switch allows the motor to continue running until the wipers park at the base of the windshield if the dash switch is turned off mid-swipe.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
hotrodder

So if a person just wanted to have low speed on a toggle switch how would he wire that? I am just building my dash with rocker switches or toggle. Sort of a rat rod thing
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
So if a person just wanted to have low speed on a toggle switch how would he wire that? I am just building my dash with rocker switches or toggle. Sort of a rat rod thing
You would want to run the +12V feed wire from the fuse box to the "power" terminal on the wiper motor (just like the stock configuration). Then connect both the "high" and "low" terminals on the motor to one terminal of a SPST (single pole, single throw) toggle switch. Finally, connect the other terminal of the toggle switch to a good ground. This will give you low speed only. And as long as the motor has a good case ground and it's internal parking switch is functional, it will also retain the auto parking feature.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #6
hotrodder

Thank you for the information.
hotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote