The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Incidental costs to rebuilding trucks

First time project by a mile. Speaking for myself..........

Three carts and a work table. Just when I thought I was done buying casters and building carts, I recently bought four 10" locking casters to turn the frame into a cart. I managed to make the cab cart difficult, but I'm real happy with the design. Built a rolling platform to lay the cab on it's back....looking forward to doing that.

I thought I had a lot of tools, but hardly. Impact and sockets, a couple grinders, far too many tools/supplies to mention. I had never used any of them until now. New Engine hoist, engine stand, transmission jack, floor jack, four sets of stands.

Blew near $800 on paint supplies for parts & frame. Since then I've changed my mind in favor of Powder coat and professionally painted. Besides, my compressor is marginal. Be cool to have a new one, ha! Ooooooops.......Required storage space and organization is wow, just wow.

Won't bore you with what I've documented, but somewhere around 200 pages excluding lists and graphs. I can say I'd never heard of NOS, BBC, half the other stuff nor 90% of the parts. Had I known what a SWB was, my user ID wouldn't be quite so obvious

It may have had an impact on my marriage to extent as well, but divorce was a long time coming anyway, trust me, I was there so my truck served me well once again 32 years married, and I've owned the truck 29 and counting. Till death do us part.........ha! - Okay, bad joke, sorta.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Incidental costs to rebuilding trucks

yep....it seems like these projects fall down that rabbit hole sometimes...ive acquired so much stuff I hardly have room in my shop to work...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
yep....it seems like these projects fall down that rabbit hole sometimes...ive acquired so much stuff I hardly have room in my shop to work...
I have to clean mine between tasks or I can't deal with it. My garage is PACKED, though I'll be getting another bay in two weeks..... Packing material and boxes, packing material and boxes. At least those were free - mostly, thanks to dept. store dumpsters.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 AM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I have to clean mine between tasks or I can't deal with it. My garage is PACKED, though I'll be getting another bay in two weeks..... Packing material and boxes, packing material and boxes. At least those were free - mostly, thanks to dept. store dumpsters.
I know what you mean. I've been trying to sell some leftovers from past projects. I have found it's a lot easier to buy than to sell.

I just went through the packing material issue with my last move. Boxes are expensive. Luckily my wife works at a nursing facility and they go through a lot of adult diapers. You wouldn't believe how well built the boxes are for diapers. It must be some sort of regulation. They are really heavy duty with handles.

But now I have my garage full of cases of diaper boxes. I wonder what my new neighbors must think.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

speaking of dumpsters, I told my buddy that I needed one of those big dumpsters in front of my shop and about 10 people to fill it up one day when I wadnt there....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Cry me a river ! Try building 4 at one time in a 2 1/2 car garage and then like myself you'll understand the meaning of insanity ! Everything has to be on wheels , ,Shuffled around depending on what I'm working on and A parts storage nightmare that has consumed 1 bedroom , my enclosed rear porch , Numerous bins and the connecting room from the house to the garage which now has a narrow walkway due to more bins , I'm turning every nut bolt and screw , the only parts being sent out are my chrome work ,What was I thinking ?? here are a couple pics from a few months ago ...It's worse now and my barn is worse I've had to start making lists because I'm forgetting where I stashed different pieces . Incidental costs to rebuilding ? I'd say dry storage would hit the top of the list tools and equipment where does it end there's always something else you want or need ...
Attached Images

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-25-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Richard2112

Yes the incidental costs are a huge bite to the assumed budget. A lot of people keep receipts but I'm uncertain of the actual merit of that given that many things can change. i might rebuild my carb, then later go with fuel injection. The cost of abrasives alone, sanding supplies, grinding wheels, brushes, chemical applications, and other consumables can rival the cost of hard parts.
I've become a believer in,"sandpaper doesn't wear out, it just changes gradient"
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:06 AM   #8
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Cry me a river ! Try building 4 at one time in a 2 1/2 car garage and then like myself you'll understand the meaning of insanity ! Everything has to be on wheels , ,Shuffled around depending on what I'm working on and A parts storage nightmare that has consumed 1 bedroom , my enclosed rear porch , Numerous bins and the connecting room from the house to the garage which now has a narrow walkway due to more bins , What was I thinking ?? here are a couple pics from a few months ago ...It's worse now and my barn is worse I've had to start making lists because I'm forgetting where I stashed different pieces ...
Wow! Looks like a GM production plant.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
harpo231

Interesting to see there are those who love their truck and those who just love the project ......
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #10
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
Interesting to see there are those who love their truck and those who just love the project ......
Projects ...Yep ! Got no shortage of projects around here !
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #11
flashed

My shop is full but I gained some room yesterday ,my buddy came and took his El Camino home so I can actually move around with my 4 in there . My buddy that owns a bodyshop has a 53 ft simi trailer in his back lot that he wants gone ,even has an office in it .When he gives me the OK Im going to bring it to my farm and have parts storage .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
B. W.

Grumpy, Richard beat me to it, looks like your set up for high volume production! That's a nice big garage. You should see my 2 car garage with my wife's burb in it, you have to "scooch" around the back of it then up the pass side to close the garage door!

Tony, I feel your pain! I keep an extensive spreadsheet of all parts. On purpose (so I don't know - ignorance is bliss) I don't keep records of the tools I've purchased (I rationalize, saying "I'll use them on other projects") nor do I even think about calculating my labor! Paying myself minimum wage, I estimate my truck's value is north of $200K! (anybody want to buy a half finished truck?)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Coley

Smile Re: Incidental costs to rebuilding trucks

Incidental costs....that is the perfect name for an all guys website (dibs!!) and just about sums up most of the average guys life these days, lol.

As fleetside Paul mentioned...its easier to buy than to sell, at least initially and certainly for most guys/people.
I have gotten in the habit of selling as of late and I find it really works out well for the hobby and in offsetting the costs.

All of this is why I often ask people in their upgrade/rebuild/repair thread...what is your budget?
Its funny how often the line goes dead at that point....lol....noting that some guys either don't want to go there or simply haven't thought about it....fair enough, even tho' it is a heavy reality in the process.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

I think "Incidental costs" are what led to the patina paint craze

What ? $7,000.00 for body work and paint ? I think she looks fine just the way she is ! After my airbags and LS conversion .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 02-25-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Cry me a river ! Try building 4 at one time in a 2 1/2 car garage and then like myself you'll understand the meaning of insanity ! Everything has to be on wheels , ,Shuffled around depending on what I'm working on and A parts storage nightmare that has consumed 1 bedroom , my enclosed rear porch , Numerous bins and the connecting room from the house to the garage which now has a narrow walkway due to more bins , I'm turning every nut bolt and screw , the only parts being sent out are my chrome work ,What was I thinking ?? here are a couple pics from a few months ago ...It's worse now and my barn is worse I've had to start making lists because I'm forgetting where I stashed different pieces . Incidental costs to rebuilding ? I'd say dry storage would hit the top of the list tools and equipment where does it end there's always something else you want or need ...
......lots and lots of wheels. I didn't mention the furniture dollies, nor the extra casters I ended up with because I changed my mind. Four trucks.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Tony, I feel your pain! I keep an extensive spreadsheet of all parts. On purpose (so I don't know - ignorance is bliss) I don't keep records of the tools I've purchased (I rationalize, saying "I'll use them on other projects") nor do I even think about calculating my labor! Paying myself minimum wage, I estimate my truck's value is north of $200K! (anybody want to buy a half finished truck?)