The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2023, 11:53 PM   #401
Getter-Done

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Is that the door panel screw under the floor mat? JK

Great job.

Hope your Bumper shows up in Pristine condition Soon.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 05:27 PM   #402
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Something about my kit's document. My excuse is I hadn't gotten to the license plates yet promised a guy I'd be done with the kit by Nov. Turns out the part number listed for the rear plates is baloney, I'd say GM's error. And what a dealer sells for attaching the lamp to the rear bumper bar bracket is baloney too, they even show the wrong screw.

Anyway, I can send a fresh copy of the guide by request; the last 1-2 orders reflect the changes. It's really not a big deal, otherwise I'd send via email automatically. This amends the parts on topic, blue font.

BTW, no reviews of the KIT yet? I'm going to get a complex

The rear license plate mounts to its bracket with two clear finished slot truss head screws with dog point tips, and nylon nuts. The screw threads are 1/4 x 5/8”.

The kit is available on EBAY through jcapartscom.

The lamp assembly installs onto the license plate bracket’s top with two 1/4” hex flange head tap screws and star lock washers inserted from below. The screw threads are #10 x 3/4”.

As for attaching the lamp assm., I was lucky to find the info., finally. Course there are other ways to mount it. I remembered I had a spare lamp that was on the bracket I'd picked up long ago, and there they were. Looks right to me. I thought the lamp installed with #8, which is an option as well. Also thought they'd be dog-pointed (or b-pointed?) like the len's screws, which a certain dealer advertises, but nope. They send pointed tips that you can buy anywhere. Perhaps some lamp assm. screws are dog or B pointed, similar the lens screws.

I've read that at times the lamps don't work due a bad ground at the bracket, some folk suggest removing some finish from the brackets. Didn't doubt it for a second, everything is powder coated, or primed & painted, and the plate's frame has a clear coat too. Only surfaces I roughed up are for ground strap terminals, and there's only one for the bed.

Until today I'd never seen a plate lamp on my truck. Inspired me to drive her, and play the same square and corny AM station I grew up with. They play the same music, it hasn't changed at all and >>>> most radio stations. What a pleasure, I have serious object-what-the term is, it's a sickness Has 300 miles and an oil change on her.

I needed to reword the following...Not that the prior info. was necessarily wrong, but it was surely unclear in regard to years and GMC. Now reads as...

1967-1971 Chevrolet trucks have a 12 character VIN. The first six characters designate the Chassis, Engine, GVW, Model, Year, and Factory. The last six characters designate the truck’s serial number. For example;

C = 2WD
E = V8
1 = 1/2 ton
4 = Pickup
1 = 1971
Z = Fremont
XXXXXX = Serial number

The SPIDS in Chevrolet trucks differ from GMC trucks, for the years 1967-1971. For one example, 70-71 GMC trucks have a 13 character VIN. One character is a designation of some type, or a dash if blank.

The SPIDS in 1972 Chevrolet and GMC trucks have the same data framework. The first of 13 VIN characters designates GMC (T) or Chevrolet (C).

The 1967-72 Chevrolet truck model ID provides the chassis, the engine, the GVW, the wheel base, and the body style. For example;
C = 2WD
E = V8
1 = 1/2 ton
07 = (SWB, 115")
34 = fleet side

The model ID for GMC trucks is different then that for Chevrolet trucks.

The RPO (regular production option) codes for a truck are displayed on SPIDS and build sheets. Reference images for the codes, or most of them.

Also worth noting, I'd sure hate to see someone sand a 69-71 door panel trim piece, because dummy wrote they're stainlessChromed steel.

Bookmarked. Yeah, my steering box was rebuilt by reputable. But leaks at the pitman. https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=619634
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-26-2024 at 04:54 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 11:55 PM   #403
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'm happy to say my insurance company increased the guaranteed value on my truck to 125K, which is what I asked for. Was 80k, I was real uncomfortable with that, but that's all they'd give, I suppose because the truck wasn''t quite done. Anyway, I gave them a 196 row punch list in Excel, broke down in various categories. And 15 images, that included pics of the spid, build sheet and vin plate. That did the trick, no questions asked.

I added some of my labor, which apparently they take into consideration. I figured 2184 hours at a measly $15 an hour. The punch list totaled 114K, but that doesn't account for parts that didn't have to be replaced or restored, never mind the truck only cost $2800 in the first place. Few images of my punch list, covering OEM and NOS purchases, moderately interesting.

Edit: Just for the heck of it, I spent:

NOS parts: $11,000. Wow, I really didn't expect that. That was when you could still buy stuff, almost reasonably.
OEM parts: $6,500. That includes a bed and front bumper I bought over a decade ago for $1200, I'm not complaining.
Replacement parts, and materials: $15,500.
Rebuilt parts, and buying the truck in the first place: $11,250. Truck cost $2800, in 1989.
Services: $37,000
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-23-2024 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 09:25 PM   #404
Louisvillekytruck

Great details and very nice truck
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 12:22 PM   #405
IronCanine
I'm trying....

I just received one of Tony's guides and it is fantastic. I haven't even had time to do a deep dive, but what a resource. Even though I'm building a 70 K20, there is a lot of overlap, and to be able to have a resource like this compiled of such an original and unmolested truck is invaluable. Unbelievable amount of effort and detail put into it. If you like em how they came from the factory like I do, this is awesome.

Great work Tony. Thanks for doing it and sharing it with the Board.

Brad
1946 B.F. Avery Model A Tractor http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...55#post8292555

"Sometimes I wonder if zander208 was even real..."
IronCanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 12:23 AM   #406
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCanine View Post
I just received one of Tony's guides and it is fantastic. I haven't even had time to do a deep dive, but what a resource. Even though I'm building a 70 K20, there is a lot of overlap, and to be able to have a resource like this compiled of such an original and unmolested truck is invaluable. Unbelievable amount of effort and detail put into it. If you like em how they came from the factory like I do, this is awesome.

Great work Tony. Thanks for doing it and sharing it with the Board.

Brad
I appreciate that a bunch Brad, wow, and glad you're happy with it.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:58 PM   #407
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Represents the last of the restoration, the bumper was left well over a year ago. The last part to fall under a covid mentality economy. Yeah sure, "6 weeks". I dropped the front and rear off 260 miles from me. 5-8 months in they tell me the rear is done, but not the front. Then, "front is done, but it's scratched."

Months later, "they're perfect, come and get em." So I did. I had a hunch the front was an imposter, confirmed by images when I arrived home. Plus I found the imposter had 5-6 part number stamps, not GM. Let me know if you ever find an OEM front bumper that's GM stamped. I believe they only had stickers. Anyway, I raised heck, and the boss found my bumper. 1-2 guys claimed that gee, the imposter was in better condition so we refinished that for you. BS. So the wait continued.

January 23rd. "Your bumper is done", call back in an hour and well report our inspection. Well, since I was in an ambulance I didn't make that call, which happens when you break a femur and damage the pelvic socket. I took a real hard fall, the hip took all of it, just as well have struck it with a sledge hammer, not good, full hip replacement.

Anyway, the shop said a guy could meet up 150 miles from me for the bumper swap, and since my girlfriend lives there perfect. So we agree on a date, which was 4.5 weeks after my accident.

Oh great, "storm of the century over the Sierras", exactly where I need to travel. I'll be dang if I miss the opportunity. I ended up traveling on perhaps the worst day of it, couldn't help it, but I found a window of "65-75% snow" for 2 hours instead of 100%, and headed out.

I've driven worse, but 5-6 times I had to immediately stop due to white outs, twice someone was behind me. Happy to say they were careful. Lucky there wasn't too much wind and gusts, 190 MPH recorded a prior day(s). Drive was fine, I was comfortable. After 3.5 hrs., and on the other the other side of the mt., I stopped for a pee and snack. Get out of the car; oooops, unexpected, I can't move without real pain, hmm, don't have a cane, baby steps across the parking lot. Eventually loosened up with a Tylenol and such, though not much improvement until morning. Other than that I've gone this pain killer free since after the first week, I suppose the trip called for something.

With that day being the exception, there's improvement everyday; nearly lost my limp, gym-time, PT. Pain is tolerable or nothing. You tend to think twice about falling again. Still can't tie a shoe, and have learned to like slip-ons. I'll get there, blessing I was in good shape from start. Just thin, no padding for the hip. No more jumpin' rope, did that 40+ years, I'll miss it. No more runs with my girlfriend, funny, I never ran before short of sports, but at 60 my girlfriend talked me into it for occasions, despite smokes I found it pretty easy. Well, that lasted two years....ha ha haaaaaa. What a coincidink, my first SS check too, hmm, hexed, "destiny, destiny, no escaping that for me" I'll learn to like and respect my new hip, and I like the bumper, time will tell. Will install it soon, and stamp the project done.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2024, 02:08 AM   #408
68bowtie

Crazy story! I can’t believe they tried to pull one over you with a reproduction bumper. Glad you caught em.

Almost there!!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:01 PM   #409
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Glad the bumper issue got worked out. More glad you're on the mend after that crazy fall.

Ill be 65 in October, my wife wanted to wait a couple years before I signed up for SS. I told her at my age fellas start dropping like flies (haha?), and I want to at least get something from SS. Finally convinced her =)

Thanks again for the fantastic build thread and for putting together all the info that goes along with it.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 08:37 PM   #410
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Glad the bumper issue got worked out. More glad you're on the mend after that crazy fall.

Ill be 65 in October, my wife wanted to wait a couple years before I signed up for SS. I told her at my age fellas start dropping like flies (haha?), and I want to at least get something from SS. Finally convinced her =)

Thanks again for the fantastic build thread and for putting together all the info that goes along with it.
I waited till I was 70 cause I could ...got all the 8%ers and still haven't retired @ 72 like what I do besides all I have ever done is workglad to hear your mending the INFO STICK is awesome your truck is awesome stay healthy to enjoy
zicc1835 is online now   Reply With Quote