The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
Pife

Tan soft top?

Has anyone seen a tan soft top? Does anyone have a softtopper brand top? How does it fit?

Thanks
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
JMac11

Re: Tan soft top?

Mine is tan, I think it is a copy of a soft topper made by a boat shop. Uses snaps, only problem it sags a bit when it rains and will dunk water on you when the door opens.......
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
JustLearnin

I've got one; from Softtopper. It hasn't been installed yet so can't personally help you on fit.

Got a couple of brothers back in St. Louis; used to live just west for about five years.

My '72 Blazer Build Thread
JustLearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
SamMargritz00

in my build thread in my sig theres some pictures of my black softtopper and another members tan softtopper.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
RED 1970
Account Suspended

I've got a softopper on my 70, they are awesome.
Previously I had a bestop and when it rained I had to put a stick in the back seat to keep the rain from collecting into a pool. Softopper does not have that problem.

Uses the factory holes down the bedsides and no drilling into the tailgate. The only drilling you have to do is along the windshield frame. They used to sell a adapter bar that only required four or five mounting screws instead of each individual snap to be drilled in.

Never seen the tan version on a rig...
RED 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
Pife

Thanks guys. I am looking at getting the tan version. Would any of you get the extra screen back panel? I don't know if it is worth the extra 100$. Those of you with the topper, if I were to use the front part of my hard top could I make that work? So that I wouldn't have to drill in to my header?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #7
SamMargritz00

I personally wouldn't get the screen. Its either sides up or sides down for mine. Its a blast, youll love it. Instructions suck though from soft topper. As for the holes, there are ways around without drilling into the header, but i just went and did it on mine. It does have some loud wind noise over 65 but the knob on the radio fixes that haha.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
RED 1970
Account Suspended

I've got the screen because it came with the K5 I bought, I wouldn't have bought it myself. Don't really see the use for it.

Don't think you could use the front edge of a hard top to secure the topper... maybe I'm wrong but seems like it is not feasible.
RED 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Pife

Do any of you with soft tops put the hard top back on? Why? Are the soft tops drafty when they are all buttoned up?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
SamMargritz00

I got the soft top because my hard top is trashed and would've cost just as much as a soft top to repair. I love the soft top because its easier (obviously haha) to go topless if you're by yourself: can go top up, top down, and I really enjoy the safari top too.

Mine is pretty noisy at 65mph with the top all buttoned up. But that was kinda expected when I bought it. Overall I love it. Only thing though is that if you get the tinted add-on, make sure you don't scratch it. It scratches very easily and is very noticable with the darker tint.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
ekajkrats

I have the tan soft top, no screen and no tint. I took off the hard top last June, put the soft top on in September/October, and haven't put the hardtop back on. I take my rig on trails, both close and far (so far the furthest is 350 miles away). I agree with everything SamMargritz00 has said.

I would have no use for the screen myself, and the only time in the future I could see putting the hardtop back on would be to move it. I love the tan color and would choose it again in a heartbeat. Mine doesn't seem to scratch too easy, but I did just get my first scratches on one of the side windows going through some narrow jeep trails and brush.

On the 350 mile trip, the wind noise did get to me, even with the stereo turned to 11. But on the last trip of 141 miles that I just did on Sunday, it was fine.

My favorite way to travel is safari style, keeping the sun off me, but having the full view around.

I do live in a part of Northern California though and may never see snow in my rig, or not enough to bother me.

-jacob
ekajkrats is offline   Reply With Quote