The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
72step

Installing mid 90's Chevy Seat in 60-66 Trucks

I found me a 1996 GM Truck 60/40 Split bench for my 65 C10 Project Truck. What all is involved with properly mounting this thing in there? Obviously I could just drill some holes where it looks good but I've read of using a plate to offset the bolt holes to avoid drilling the holes. Also which wires are which for the power? The driver seat is power and the passenger side is manual with power lumbar. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
72step

Re: Installing mid 90's Chevy Seat in 60-66 Trucks

heres some pics. It's not perfect but in excellent shape for the year. I got a good deal on it so it beats the $300 that I was quoted to fix the original seat.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
72step

A few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Gunster89

have you test fitted the seats to make sure they are not too short or too tall? thats the first thing then if you dont wanna drill new holes just use a decent piece of metal to line up the holes or if it needs to be raised some you can use some square tubing to raise it then just drill where the holes need to be once you get it done you willl be like wow that was simple ill see if I cant find out the wires for you if I do ill post it here hope this helps if you need any more advice just pm me
Gunster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
Gunster89

is that a stain in the seat or is it starting to tear?
Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster89 View Post
have you test fitted the seats to make sure they are not too short or too tall? thats the first thing then if you dont wanna drill new holes just use a decent piece of metal to line up the holes or if it needs to be raised some you can use some square tubing to raise it then just drill where the holes need to be once you get it done you willl be like wow that was simple ill see if I cant find out the wires for you if I do ill post it here hope this helps if you need any more advice just pm me
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster89 View Post
is that a stain in the seat or is it starting to tear?

Its really neither. Just where the material is worn from being wrinkled likely where the driver was a fata$$. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Gunster89

is it all on one bracket or is it 2 seperates? if its 2 seperates you willl have to make a bracket that joins them both together to refrain from drilling new holes because if you dont the insides wont be fastened to anything and will be unsafe hope this makes sence
Old 12-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #9
72step

Its seperate. Might be easier to drill the four holes than to join them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Gunster89

well that is entirely up to you but you could very easily weld together some
square tube and make it all one and not have to drill any new holes depends on if you have a welder and a cut off wheel and the time to fabricate the frame its best to do it right the first time rather than adding a bunch of holes in your floor board but if you decide to just drill some holes and call it good dont forget to put some big washers on the underside of the floor so it is reinforced better dont want the nut pulling through the floor board hope this helps let me know what you decide to do and a finished picture installed make sure you are happy with the hight of ur seat before u are done because its more work if u decide to change it i changed mine 3 times when i had racing buckets in mine ur seat bein too high to low can be a pain in the a$$ if u know what i mean
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Gunster89

another idea if you make a frame is run ur carpet over the frame so its not seen if you need to make the carpet roll up to the frame ive used house pad before you can get a small roll at home depot cheap then no one would ever know u made a frame all u would see is the 8 nuts from the cracket holding ur seat down wich you shouldnt see anyways lol and dont forget to tac weld the bolts in the frame so you dont have to hold the bolt with a wrench as far as the wiring I cant seem to find a diagram on it what wires and colors u got to work with im thinking all u should have is a ground and a hot wich the ground can go to the frame of the seat on both and u could run the hot wires into the fuse box they dont need to be seperate to my knowledge if i am wrong my bad but in theary all you should need is a big enough fuse for it 10 amp should be plenty
Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
72step

Problem is a fabbed up frame will make the seat higher. I read somewhere these seats sit higher anyhow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #13
Gunster89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
Problem is a fabbed up frame will make the seat higher. I read somewhere these seats sit higher anyhow.
Posted via Mobile Device
like i said your gonna have to test fit it and see if you like how it sits your frame will raise it an inch and 1/2 if u use inch 1/2 square its all trial and error chances are you have to atleast fab somthin on the drivers side because with the middle seat the brackets wont sit level and on ur seperate passengers seat u wanna make sure its gonna be level also im sure you already know this im just pointing it out if you can tell im bored lol so just giving my thoughts hope it helps
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
ABX131

Your gas tank may become an issue. If I remember the seat thread, most guys running later seats had to move the gas tank out of the cab for the space.
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #15
Hx16457

I used 2006 40/20/40 set-up. I sat the center console in nad then sat the seats in. (they are powered seats). THe steering column and wheel was installed already. So I got a feel for the position, then I had my wife come and sit on the passenger side to see what she thought. My Tank is still in the cab. The other post is correct, if you are a tall person you might want to move your tank. I am only 5'-3" so I am good with it, nad my wife is 5'-6" she also said she was good with it. So I pull ed the seats out and drill the mounting holes for the center console, and then drop the seats back in, and sat in them once moree. They left impressions in my sound deadener, so it was easy to see the hole positions when I again removed the seats.
I drilled those holes and started bolting everthing down. takes about 2hours.
Note, with the seats slightly leaned back the head rests will touch the back glass in a BBW.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hx16457 View Post
I used 2006 40/20/40 set-up. I sat the center console in nad then sat the seats in. (they are powered seats). THe steering column and wheel was installed already. So I got a feel for the position, then I had my wife come and sit on the passenger side to see what she thought. My Tank is still in the cab. The other post is correct, if you are a tall person you might want to move your tank. I am only 5'-3" so I am good with it, nad my wife is 5'-6" she also said she was good with it. So I pull ed the seats out and drill the mounting holes for the center console, and then drop the seats back in, and sat in them once moree. They left impressions in my sound deadener, so it was easy to see the hole positions when I again removed the seats.
I drilled those holes and started bolting everthing down. takes about 2hours.
Note, with the seats slightly leaned back the head rests will touch the back glass in a BBW.
Thanks! I am just short of 5'8" so I think I'd be okay but I will set it in there to get a feel for it. I really don't want to deal with the cost of relocating the tank right now. I want to hope to think that it will be way more comfortable than the stock bench with a worn drives side seat cushioning. The old seat is also quite bouncy on the road and does nothing to hug your body.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
gmcdeadhead

keep us posted on the progress , i'm thinking of putting late model seats in my truck also.
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

I would like a seat change like this too. I will keep an eye on this.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
72step

I will definitely update this post. It will be at least a couple weeks though as its been cold here lately and my garage isnt heated. I'm super stoked as i only paid 60 bucks fot the seat!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
gmcdeadhead

how does one no which late model seat would fit our trucks with the gas tank still in the cab , before we go out and buy one? if it will fit or not?
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
Hx16457

Well, I can tell you up to 2006 will fit, Chevy. Don't rush it and power seats are a bit tricky do to having to use a battery charger to move the seats forward and back to get a feel for what you can live with and getting at the bolting points.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
dantimdad

I put in a 1994 bench with armrest before teardown.

Although I could drive it at 5'10" I am needed to move the tank or shorten the steering column to feel really comfortable. I am doing both just to have as much travel as possible.

I only had to drill two bolt holes to get it to work BTW.

Steven

Matt. 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=507266&page=2
dantimdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72step View Post
I will definitely update this post. It will be at least a couple weeks though as its been cold here lately and my garage isnt heated. I'm super stoked as i only paid 60 bucks fot the seat!
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds like a great deal on the seat. If you end up liking it enough, you can have it recovered and still keep a reasonable cost for a nice seat.
What kind of shape is your original seat in? If it's a custom seat rather than the standard seat and it has good springs on the driver's side, I would be interested in some of the springs from it. PM me if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcdeadhead View Post
how does one no which late model seat would fit our trucks with the gas tank still in the cab , before we go out and buy one? if it will fit or not?
Take a lot of measurements before you go. That will get you close.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
Hx16457

Here, I found one picture of my 2006 seats after I had th installed. I was also installing the door seals, thus the tape around the door!

You can see the distance from the wheel(1967 automatic, non-tilt).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #25
72step

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
That sounds like a great deal on the seat. If you end up liking it enough, you can have it recovered and still keep a reasonable cost for a nice seat.
What kind of shape is your original seat in? If it's a custom seat rather than the standard seat and it has good springs on the driver's side, I would be interested in some of the springs from it. PM me if so.

Take a lot of measurements before you go. That will get you close.

Yeah, i figured i couldnt go wrong.

I have the orig seat with orig vinyl which is torn and the drivers side has the cushion sunk in a bit. If i got rid of it i would prefer to sell it whole i think.
Posted via Mobile Device