The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
bighead

2002 frame question

My 02 2500 HD 4x4 crew swb Duramax was hit in the left front a couple weeks ago and left me with a bent frame and cracked front diff. I’ve located a frame for a 05 ext cab 4x4 lwb that has the front diff in it for cheap. My question is concerning the way GM built the frames. I know there is a junction where a front and rear section are welded together. Can I use the front section of the ext cab lwb to replace the front section of the crew cab swb? Thanks for your help!
bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: 2002 frame question

if the extra cab is a 2500 HD like your crew cab, then YES you can replace just the front section of the frame. this is not a simple fix but it is doable. you pretty much need to remove the body and all the running gear from your truck to do it properly and you need to be proficient with a welder and a good grinder.

depending upon how much $$ they are asking for that extra cab chassis and depending upon where you are, you might have better luck just doing a complete frame swap. a little more time consuming but ultimately the best way.

the biggest issue i would see with replacing just the front frame section is knowing if your frame is square and not diamond'd, meaning that the frame rails are perfectly parallel and one is not pushed back a little creating a diamond shape between crossmembers.
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
bighead

Re: 2002 frame question

Good points, thanks for that. The chassis was $175 complete with all the suspension and both diffs. I can fit and weld but it prob would be more wise to replace the entire frame and be sure there are no other issues.
bighead is offline   Reply With Quote