The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
1956cameo

Pics of Mulemans new project!

My dad (Muleman100) didn't have time to post pic's of his newest project so I am helping him out. He picked it up the other day. It is a 41' model 3/4 ton factory stakebed. It has an updated to 12 volt electric and has a 235 and runs pretty good. He is waiting on some brake parts but has already gotten new tires for it. Hope everyone enjoys the pics! I will let my dad take the thread over from here.

He has been wanting a two carb set up on an old stovebolt for quite some time.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Muleman100

Re: Pics of Mulemans new project!

Thanks 1956Cameo for helping me start the thread on my new 1941. Hope to have it road worthy in the next few days. It will be a WIP since I will drive it as the work continues.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Hey Muleman,
Good to finally see it. I thought you said you needed dash knobs? I posted a link to Bowtiebits.com on the other thread but it looks like your truck already has them.

So what are your plans for the truck?

Also, do you already know about Patrick's in Arizona for Chevy straight sixes? If you don't I'll post a link here and I think you'll find the info interesting. LEt us know your plans for it.

Linky:

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/chevrolet.htm
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Oh, almost forgot. For anyone staying with a straight six I always post the following photo. I can't remember the original poster but it is in a '68 shorted fleetside and it is a 292. Still, the owner did an outrageously nice job of dressing out his six. I think it looks great. I'd do this if I had a six in my truck.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
Muleman100

Dan this engine was built in Arizona and all parts were from Patricks. I will place an order to Chevy of the 40's tommorrow. I want a new window crank,ashtray knob,headlight knob,headliner and the cables to my inside door handles so I can open them from the inside.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muleman100 View Post
...and the cables to my inside door handles so I can open them from the inside.

I've had my door panels off and the guts out, there are no "cables" in mine. Is that what you meant or have you not taken yours apart yet?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Muleman100

There are cables that attached the inside door handle to the locking mechanism. It could be they replaced a connecting rod with cables because they don't appear to be old at all. I still have to open the door form the outside. the cables are real small and has a loop on the end, could have been fabricated by someone. Does yours have a rod going from the handle to the lock?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

I'll have to double check to tell you for certain but I think so. As it happens, I dropped my key down the window slot (DOH! 3rd time it's happened - that makes me KING of the idiots!) so I've gotta take the door panel off anyway. I'll take a photo and post it for you later today. Maybe that'll help?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
.... I can't remember the original poster but it is in a '68 shorted fleetside and it is a 292.....
For future reference, the OP was n2billet. That was in his red 68 we called Lucy.

That is a very clean truck considering it's heritage. It would really nice restored on the outside, with the motor dressed up like above.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-30-2010 at 05:06 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

n2trux - Thanks for the reminder. I need to re-title that photo with his name because he deserves the credit and because it is a flatly beautiful engine. Does he still have Lucy? Man, I LOVE that truck.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #11
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

One thing (just for clarification)... Lucy had a 250, not a 292.

Also, n2billet no longer owns Lucy, but a close friend of his does as the 2nd owner after n2billet owned it. (Made its way back to TX to say the least) (Also, Lucy no longer houses the 250 in the picture above)

Now he's working on Stella Mae (w/ a 250) and Hazel (w/ a SB).

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Wow, that thing looks really solid.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Cbrown67

that thing is going to be sweet all done with that bed all repainted and redone i can just see it now
Cbrown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Muleman100

Put new brakes on the truck yesterday. Drove it the first time on the road. When I got to the corner the tranny would not cooperate and let me down shift to third or second. Tomorrow I will pull the tranny and have it looked at. My transmission man said it probably has too much end play in the shaft. Hope it is an easy fix.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Dan in Pasadena

Maybe its just linkage out of adjustment?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #16
Muleman100

No linkage,it is a Granny 4 speed. Out it comes today.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

Oh, that's right. It's a top loader, huh?
Maybe I missed it earlier: You're yanking it today and going to rebuild it or replace it with something else? I'm mindful of what my then 10 year old told me years ago working on another project. I was getting kind of worked up about how much work I was up against and he said, "Why don't you just rebuild each part perfect when you have to deal with it, then do the next part perfect when you have to deal with THAT one?" Of course he was right.

So will you take pictures of the removal/degreasing/repair/rebuild/painting/etc? I think we'd all love to see them.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #18
Dan in Pasadena

BTW, in the first photo above I see a '58-59 in the background and in another shot I see a '63-'66 in the far back. What's the story with those trucks?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
1956cameo

Dan, You have no idea! Between my parents and I we propably have over 30 vehicles, and thats after downsizing over the last year or so. We primarily collect suburbans, but have alot of other things as well. Maybe my dad will post a few pic's of some of the other stuff.

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
K-TEN

Muleman, FYI. The 4 speed is a non synchro trans. You must double clutch in order to execute the downshift. (pedal in-move lever to neutral-clutch out, rev up, clutch in, lever to lower gear, clutch out.) But you probably knew that. The 3 speed on the floor is synchro in 2nd and 3rd. So a downshift is just like in a modern vehicle, which is nice when you're gearing and engine are up to modern roads. I had an NOS 4 speed for quite a while in my '45, but then went back to an NOS 3 speed because of the synchro. My truck is capable of quite some speed, so to have the ability of a "no-brain" downshift is quite important to me.
You can install a 3 speed in your truck but you'll have a bit of swapping to do regarding the u-joint. You'll use half of the 1/2 ton joint and half of the 3/4 ton joint. The only thing I miss about the 4 speed is the granny gear, but it's ok without it.

Are you shifting up without the doubleclutch? Could be so old and abused that the PO "broke it in" real nice!
K-TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
Muleman100

I knew to double clutch and revving the engine but to no avail it would work. When I drained the tranny it looked like cream in coffee, which suggests it had water in the gear oil. If this one cannot be fixed I could use a good 3 speed, you don't use 1st unless you are pulling stumps with the 4 speed.The shaft out of the rear of thetransmission is short and goes to a carrier and a later year u-joint connects there to the 1982 S10 rear end. Should be good on the road with the rebuilt 1960 235 with a mild cam and two singles on the Offenhauser intake. It stops good now just need the tranny to work. I saw the specs where the 4 speed was non syncro and the 3 speed was syncro meshed. We will find out when he opens it up for inspection.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #22
K-TEN

You could try for a 5 speed trans and shorten up the open driveshaft. I believe someone has kept the original pedal setup and used a T-5 with an adapter, but I'd be hard pressed to find that in short order. I'll do some rootin' around to see if i can find that.
I had water in my original 3 speed. Trans case had cracked, but everything else was fine. A little JB Weld for the next guy that gets that trans!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #23
raycow

I know the 48-up transmissions will not bolt to the stock bellhousings in these trucks. What kinds of problems do you run into if you try to swap in a later bellhousing, like 48-53, and what is the fix for them?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
K-TEN

The big problem is that you can't retain the stock pedal brackets, so there's a whole new can o' worms. I believe Buffalo Enterprises may have an adapter but that requires money.
My fix, which isn't for everyone, was to retain the original bellhousing and FW (6 bolt/ 6 volt) ((oh yeah, this is a GMC I'm talking about here)) and went with the 3 speed on the floor. I have 3.55's out back courtesy of Patrick's and I found an ultra rare Truckstell torque tube Overdrive unit. I operate that with a simple PTO type cable. About 10" of torque tube is removed and the OD is put in behind the trans. They can be found but you'll need some patience and some money, neither of which are abundant these days. I was lucky and found 2 of them several years ago.

Last edited by K-TEN; 09-04-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #25
Muleman100

When I put my tranny back in I will post pics of my set up. I still have stock pedals that bolt on the bell housing or back of motor. Remember the engine is a 1960 235 and I think the bell housing is also a 1960. But the tranny is definely a 1941.