The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 AM   #1
bh86

Trouble matching a paint color

So my paint guy is a buddy of mine and he’s been sending pics since I’m not there to see it in person, but we’ve been struggling to find the correct paint match even with the original codes. Has anybody ran into the same issue with the tan/Santa Fe tan color? Is it possible it was a different color than that from the factory? The truck was wearing the original paint there’s no question about that but if you compare the ashtray to the colors we’ve tried it’s just not quite right. The first two pics are of paint code WA8265, the last pic is painted with WA5236, which is showing up as the correct color according to the books. Has anybody ran into this before? I think, and my buddy thinks, that the 8265 looks closer to the original but neither is correct. If anybody has had issues finding the right one I’d appreciate some feedback. We’ve tried mixing it up according to the book and the laser st the paint shop. Thanks!
Attached Images

bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
blindbug

Re: Trouble matching a paint color

Are you sure that the ash tray just isn't stained with time? If a previous owner was a smoker, that ash tray can get darker over time as the top coat takes in impurities. I wonder if the color you are spraying IS what the ash tray looked like new?
blindbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
rideair

My question to you would be:

“Which manufacture of paint are you using?” And “What level of paint quality are you using?”

Depending on the manufacture and even the quality level of paint within that manufactures line, the color can be way, way different. It can be many shades off.

Sounds crazy, but true.

I’ve seen two different paint manufacture call it the same color, but when sprayed, look very different.

There are ways around this, if you are wanting to use a paint that cost less (I won't use the term cheap). What you can do, take the ashtray to someone that has a machine to scan the paint color. You would be better to use an area in the truck that does not see sunlight (have the guy come out to you), it will come up with a number, match that number the best you can to a very high-end paint, then cross-reference the high-end paint code to the cheaper paint. I bet you will find the codes will be slightly different in the cheaper paint.

I not long ago wanted to paint a 1968 Travelall, the cheaper paint I wanted to use did not match well based on the code I gave them, so we used the method described above and was able to find a really good match in the cheaper paint.

A good auto-body supply shop should be able to do this no problem.

Good Luck,

Last edited by rideair; 03-09-2018 at 06:00 PM.
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
95 S_Trucker

On my 78, I went from 2 tone to single tone, and only painted what I had to. The truck is also santa fe tan. We had no issues with paint matching. I used single stage dupont acrylic enamel. We used code 5236. It was about 8 years ago. There are pics in my build thread. Youll need to use chrome or firefox with the photobucket fix to see them.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
bh86

We've tried a few different brands, ppg, valspar, ppg's lower end omni and possibly one other, but those brands for sure. It is crazy to see the variance in them all. I do believe we've found the right one tho with a lil help from the fella at the paint store who's been there for years. I'll keep this thread updated with pics as soon as I get a chance up post them.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
So my paint guy is a buddy of mine and he’s been sending pics since I’m not there to see it in person, but we’ve been struggling to find the correct paint match even with the original codes. Has anybody ran into the same issue with the tan/Santa Fe tan color? Is it possible it was a different color than that from the factory? The truck was wearing the original paint there’s no question about that but if you compare the ashtray to the colors we’ve tried it’s just not quite right. The first two pics are of paint code WA8265, the last pic is painted with WA5236, which is showing up as the correct color according to the books. Has anybody ran into this before? I think, and my buddy thinks, that the 8265 looks closer to the original but neither is correct. If anybody has had issues finding the right one I’d appreciate some feedback. We’ve tried mixing it up according to the book and the laser st the paint shop. Thanks!
What model year truck?

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
bh86

1982 gmc
Old 03-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #8
pontgta

You can also have the Paint store do it by Machin. Take them the part you are trying to match, and then they put a optical machine that gives them the code. I have had good success from The "machine" when I am trying to match a color that I do not have a code for. The color of the primer sometimes makes the color slightly darker or lighter. PPG DBC is what I use, and their Color seems to be spot on, but I think all paint companies have some sort of equivalent.

Last edited by pontgta; 03-13-2018 at 06:11 PM.
pontgta is offline   Reply With Quote