The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #26
James Pierce

Re: Any RCMP around?

Worked in Canada 20 yrs for the US Navy on Nanoose Nato test range mostly
undersea weapons to keep Russian boomer subs at bay. I suppose it helped keep some of those "crackers" from being cinders on the beach during the cold war. I am also married to a Canadian. My 2 cents. eah! Oh and I never saw a purple GM pickup.
69 C20 350 4WD 4speed
69 C20 350 4 soeed
69 C20 CST 350 Auto
70 C10 307 4speed
71 GMC Supr 350 Auto
70 C10 350 Auto
67 CST 327 Auto
James Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:54 PM   #27
67c10rustbuket

"Cracker" is typically used as a racial slur toward caucasians in the south. It fits right in with poor white trash and trailer trash... my American history professor taught us that "cracker" originated in the 1800s possibly earlier in colonial America. Crackers were the poor whites at the bottom of the southern society. Some had hard times, bought bad land or failed at farming. They were the unemployed bums of America. He said that most were racist and supporters of slavery, mostly for the purpose of attempting to elevate themselves and not be the lowest class of the new world.

Anyway, I am quite fond of the Canada special paint options, especially the bright green. I wish we had more of those groovy colors available down here. Y'all can keep the pink trucks up there though.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #28
Coley

Smile Re: Any RCMP around?

Wow...very interesting thread and as for the colour purple....I don't remember seeing it myself.
The U.S and Canada thing I see quite fondly myself. As a Canadian my interaction with the U.S and Americans through business and many U.S travel/visits has been nothing but very positive.
As a general note I would like to reiterate that Canada and the U.S have easily set the worlds longing running international example of good neighbours....and no one else has ever come close.
As a Canadian and a North American I am immensely proud of that relationship....and I would hope that Americans not fully familiar with our relationship would follow up on its great legacy.
We easily travel through each others cities and cultures with hardly a blip or a problem...thats pretty damn unique these days.
When its comes to hockey....thats a different story...its every man (and country) for himself....lol.....so keep your head up...or there is a beat down in your future!...lol
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #29
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #30
Leonard60

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't think that purple offered on our trucks in Canada is the color RCMP used. It was a color available to the general public. There were a few others the states never saw made available to them
You are correct I remember the Color the rcmp used it was almost a dark blue Color more so than purple. But I guess you could call it a real real dark purple.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #31
Dave K.

There are some glittering generalities being bandied about here about Americans and their view of Canadians. Personally, I think making those assumptions is looney..... of course if the feelings are strong enough allow me to buy you a donut and coffee at Hortons and we'll work it out.....
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #32
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
"Cracker" is typically used as a racial slur toward caucasians in the south. It fits right in with poor white trash and trailer trash... my American history professor taught us that "cracker" originated in the 1800s possibly earlier in colonial America. Crackers were the poor whites at the bottom of the southern society. Some had hard times, bought bad land or failed at farming. They were the unemployed bums of America. He said that most were racist and supporters of slavery, mostly for the purpose of attempting to elevate themselves and not be the lowest class of the new world.
I never heard all that. That may be where it originated but in the second half of the 20th century I knew it to apply to all whites, just like honky. And I never saw a whtie guy get upset over it. My brother-in-law, when my sister met him was in an outrageously good retro soul band (in the '80s) named The Soul Crackers, and most people didn't even realize what the cracker part was about. Actually, after a few other bands between they still play once or twice a year. Sorry for the diversion, but here are the Soul Crackers with my b.i.l. on guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzAZD1wmWQ

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-08-2017 at 12:10 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #33
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard60 View Post
You are correct I remember the Color the rcmp used it was almost a dark blue Color more so than purple. But I guess you could call it a real real dark purple.
Agree- the RCMP "purple" was a deep deep blue.

Btw- I have to drive south to go to Canada...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #34
B. W.

Coley nailed it on the Canada / US issue. I live & work 90 miles from Canada & deal with Canadians on a regular basis, many have summer homes here. I have a fond affection for my friends to the north.
As far as "cracker" grumpy old man is correct, it originated in Florida, my father is a "Florida Cracker" as was my grand father, great grandfather, etc.
The term is not offensive to us but it's meaning has morphed into a negative description these days.
Davepl, your "purple" thread really got hijacked! Our kids actually spend some time studying Canada in middle school (it's a small school, 8th grade has 12 students) Concerning the color purple I can't help on that one at all!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #35
1968aj

here is what I know. a cracker in this part of the country has long been used as a racial slur referring to white people. relating to being white as a saltine cracker.it is also used among friends in a joking manner
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #36
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

This one already gone? If so it was in the admin review area. I found it and put it here to make sure
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:47 PM   #37
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
This one already gone? If so it was in the admin review area. I found it and put it here to make sure
Yes this is the one Liz. Maybe the "Cracker " comments upset some people?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 01-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #38

So back on track.
here is a link to the RCMP blue ,https://www.google.ca/search?q=old+r...8xXG4gW2hVM%3A
they switched from Black with a white front doors in about 1973 to the blue with white front doors and that was used till the early 90's . Then switched to all white with the stripe package you see today.
The RCMP blue was a special color that was registered to the RCMP and not for public use.

GM had the pastel paints on Canadian trucks 69 to 71 and not on us trucks.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:11 PM   #39
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Yes this is the one Liz. Maybe the "Cracker " comments upset some people?
I believe someone complained and it was put in there by a mod to be reviewed. I completely overlooked it.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:26 PM   #40
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
I believe someone complained and it was put in there by a mod to be reviewed. I completely overlooked it.
Thanks for following up Liz..

Old 01-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #41
HeavyD

The RCMP blue I remember was blue with just a hint of purple. Now its just plain ol' white like all the other cop cars i see.

US & Canada: we eat the same food, watch the same movies, drive the same type of vehicles, more similarities than not. Bought almost all my parts off members south of the border, and it has so far been a great experience.

I absolutely love exploring America and will visit every state before im gone. Hopefully a few US members will make a trip up here too, there is lots to see!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 AM   #42
Dave K.

I've been to Canada a number of times--prefer the western part. Was up at a mine called Kemess for a while working on our blasthole drills--great folks. Sparwood, Edmonton, Ferney (sp?), Oil Sands and Hongcouver as well. Then there was Vancouver Island with the Russian customers and some fishing--don't remember that one very well. Lots of good old stuff lurking in the weeds still to this day--especially in the small hamlets scattered throughout the west..... gotta get back up there...

White on cop cars is boring.
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:14 AM   #43
RichardJ

This may not be the right time, but you might appreciate this. It is well worth 2 minutes of everyone's time.

https://youtu.be/2kX_3y3u5Uo
Old 01-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #44
Leonard60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
This may not be the right time, but you might appreciate this. It is well worth 2 minutes of everyone's time.

https://youtu.be/2kX_3y3u5Uo
Extremely emotional. I am very proud of the men and women that have made our country one of the best places in the world. I have relatives in the US and Canada and its nice to know we are far more than just neighbours we are family.
Leonard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #45
Ed F

What?. Canada is a different country?? I thought it was another state! Just kidding of course. I have visited Canada many times and neither the geography nor the people seem foreign. It's hard for me to believe that any prejudices exist or why they would exist. I got tricked one time being told most tourist attractions are open until Thanksgiving and visited in late October to find everything closed up tight. Imagine my surprise. As far as educating our kids about Canada, I don't think we do a good job any more educating them about history or geography in general. After all we are all brothers and cousins eh.
I know nothing about purple trucks except that I don't want one. I do however want to continue visiting Canada and our other states.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 12:16 PM   #46
Axle

Some randomn photos, most from policecanada.ca
Attached Images

Axle is offline   Reply With Quote