The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
sider68

Repo Fenders

I have a 56 that requires work on both dog legs of fenders.Would i be better spending money on repo or getting someone to fix existing?
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
bondobob

Re: Repo Fenders

If the rest of the fender is cherry then fix it. If it rotted out around the headlights then replace. I went with repos and they don't fit that very well. Not terrible but not perfect. Also the seams around the front are particularily nasty. IMO The place I got them from said to sand ALL the black off because it is not primer.
bondobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
northerngmc

I used reproduction front fenders on my 59 GMC and was very happy with them. They fit decent, the only issue being around the headlights, it required a bit to get the headlight surrounds to fit.

If the rest of your fenders are solid consider fixing them, if not then replace them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/northerngmc/
http://www.members.tripod.com/P-wee/index_032.htm

1.61803 is one H of a lot better than 3.14159, no really it is!
northerngmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
55ChevyPU

I replaced my passenger side fender, I have a pretty bad fitting issue between the vender and the cab though it sticks out to far and the door wont open properly without me leaving the gap big enough between the two, ill probably end up using some sheetmetal screws to try and pull the fender into the cab a bit more. Other than that it looks great and needs almost no body work.
55ChevyPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:31 PM   #5
sider68

The fender supplier told me he sold lotsand they fit great.The fenders are very solid except the dog legs.I did not ask the body guy how much cheaper it would be to replace than fix
sider68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
2ndGenRR

I agree with the above posts...fix the fenders you have. I have done the aftermarket fender thing and they never fit like the originals. You end up spending just as much or more time fitting (cutting, welding, hammering the heck out of) the aftermarkets as fixing the originals...plus you have the cost of the fenders.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
larry may

Smile Re: Repo Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenRR View Post
I agree with the above posts...fix the fenders you have. I have done the aftermarket fender thing and they never fit like the originals. You end up spending just as much or more time fitting (cutting, welding, hammering the heck out of) the aftermarkets as fixing the originals...plus you have the cost of the fenders.
Makes one think about if these ole rides get streched or somewhat dialapidated over the years that the new stuff will not fit right? Noticed that the last couple we worked with fittment was an issue.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
2ndGenRR

I'm not sure about the trucks or panels stretching, but I know that the dies they stamp the repo fenders from are normally the old dies from GM. After about a bazillion hits, those dies start to lose their original shape. In my experience, the lines aren't quite as crisp and you will notice "flairing" (for the lack of a more technical, correct term) of the edges and seams.
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton, 3-window...building to sell.
Daily Drivers: 1998 3/4 ton Burb with a 6.5 Turbo Diesel and 1994 1/2 ton Silverado.

I grew up in Flint, Michigan so I can't help but to bleed Chevy!
2ndGenRR is offline   Reply With Quote