The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #1
sick472

Driprail Moulding options?

I am nearing the end of my build (this year, God willing) and have kept my eye out for a good original set of the drip rail trim with no luck. I have read about the horror stories of aftermarket trim being tossed in the trash after the install attempt due to poor fit, and have also heard of someone using epoxy to install them...question is...

Does the aftermarket trim fit the contours, but just doesn't "snap-on" properly?

I am willing to test my skills with the epoxy route, but not willing to deal with impossibly formed trim. Heck, I'd epoxy originals on if I could find/afford them.

Can anybody recommend a vendor that produces the driprail molding with good contours that could be glued on rather than the original intended pinch/rivet/screw methods?

My truck has a lot of trim and want's one more line of flash. Thx in advance!

Skip the following mumbo jumbo if your into shorter reads -

One vendor touts the following description...

"...This exact reproduction comes as a complete set. An excellent, stainless, reproduction of this factory option...has been manufactured to original factory specifications .... You will find the fit, finish and function will work superbly for your restoration..." ~$160.oo

Makes me wonder if the horror stories stem form parts from the cheaper vendors or lack of installation experience (this type of trim can be very hard to install).

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
chewychevy67

Re: Driprail Moulding options?

I bought 2 aftermarket kits way back in 2008. On 1 cab I tried to install it on it fit flawless. I did put some adhesive on the bottoms of the drip rail as when driving it didn't snap on real tight and moved from the wind. On the second truck the sides fit well but the front was awful. I did swap the front from the other kit and it fit poor as well. I think it's just how the cab was made and the shape of the pieces made on the cab. I did make it fit on the second one but it was noticeable that the curve wasn't even once the bright work was on as when it was just paint it was not noticeable.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
tdangle

I had to replace the drip rail on the drivers side of my 70 due to my dad having a gutter mount CB antenna back in the day. Mine didn't snap in or anything like that. I had to pretty much cut the old one out and the welded the new one in using the spot weld method without a real spot welder. You cant tell I ever replaced it.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #4
sick472

Thanks for chiming in folks...

Chewy, sounds like I have a chance, 50/50 maybe. Thanks for your experiences.

Terry, I was referring to the stainless trim that was installed over the drip rail to give it some bling. No big deal...thanks for adding to my thread. Here's a pic I borrowed from the web of a good example...
Attached Images

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
barn9
Half a bubble off!

I know it sounds kinda cheesy, but when I couldn't find any years ago I used some of that door edge protector you can get in a roll. Been on my truck for years and not one person has ever noticed any difference. When I had my truck painted they filled in the area quite a bit along the front of the cab, and I wasn't sure if there was enough room for the stainless trim anyway, so just tried the door edge stuff on a whim because it was cheap, and it worked.