The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
DT1

Speedometer Needle Bouncing

So, I'm working out the last of the bugs after restoring the 72. The last item is the speedometer. I noticed on the test ride a ticking sound. Sort of like a pebble was stuck in the tire tread. Then I noticed the speedometer needle was bouncing quite a bit. This has happened with other vehicles I've had and the fix is to either lube the cable or replace it. I figured that the cable was one of the only parts I didn't replace so I ordered a new cable from Summit Racing. When I got it, I was surprised at the cable length. My original cable was 62 inches long and this new one from Summit is 120 inches long. Really? What kind of vehicle takes a 120 inch cable? This is the only cable that Summit has for my application so I figured I'd creatively route it, being careful not to make any sharp turns to avoid any kinks. I also pre-lubed it before I installed it. After it was all finished, I took the truck on the road. No change at all. Still ticking and bouncing. What else but the cable would cause this?
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #2
sick472

Re: Speedometer Needle Bouncing

The plastic gear in the transmission could be your culprit. OR would you suspect the speedometer? Too tight of a bend in the cable housing could do that too.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Myoldtruck

I would disconnect the new cable from the trans, insert the cable into the tip of a battery drill and run it. Does the cable still make noise and does the needle in the dash spin up to a certain speed without problems. If it does work ok, I would look at the gear reduction box if your trans has one, that goes between the speedo cable and the trans itself. I did away with mine because of similar problems, my speedo is off by 5% after 50mph until I get it fixed. After you pulled the old speedo cable out, what did you find wrong with that. If it wasnt broke it just needs a good cleaning and oiling.
Myoldtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Keystone_Hate

You can always hit up Motion-Pro. You can send them darn near any clutch, speedo or brake cable and they can replicate it. I've had them do clutch cables for motorcycles and they are top quality.
Keystone_Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
rockyrivermark

I changed the cable and speedo gears and needle still bouncing around.
Found out it's often the magnets in the speedo gauge itself.
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Barnfind46

I bought a speedo cable from Summit and it was too short. I exchanged it for one that was 72". I think it was for an "A" body Chevelle. Had to have the screw on ends. A little long but still worked.