The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
87Skier

Updating the suspension

I'm in the process of replacing and repairing any suspension issues on my 72 Jimmy, and I'm trying to decide on bushings and shocks. The truck has completely stock suspension, and is mostly a highway truck. I do plan on doing some overlanding in it, so I would like some give to the shocks.

From what I've read on here, it seems most are recommending poly leaf bushings, but stick to rubber for the body, and Bilstein or Rancho 9000's for shocks.

What are you guys running? Anything to avoid?
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Blazerowner

Re: Updating the suspension

Check out off-road design they have a lot of upgrade parts for the suspension. I’ve heard the body mounts squeak if you go poly. I have a set but I’m thinking of getting the rubber bushings instead. I’m having ORD build me custom springs. Nothing but good things said about their springs and they told me they will ride real nice compared to stock. Not cheap though. About $1500 for just the springs. For the shocks I’m going with bilstein only because they suggested them and they have a good reputation. Rancho makes some nice shocks too. I’ve heard good things about the 9ks and wouldn’t hesitate to run a set. My truck is original and I don’t think you can do much to fix the ride with the original springs. Mine rides pretty rough. Nearly 50 years old and they are likely shot.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I've got these on my current build but haven't driven it so can't comment on the ride but with that name they have to be good

NOS Delco accessory Pleasurizer shocks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Pair-of-N...5XO2aZ&vxp=mtr

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:15 AM   #4
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

I will always recommend fox shocks... pricey but worth it... they are currently on my duramax and the ride changed drastically... They will be going on the blazer when i get to that point...
Evil Twin - 2006 Suzuki M109R
EvilDmax- 2018 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I've got these on my current build but haven't driven it so can't comment on the ride but with that name they have to be good

NOS Delco accessory Pleasurizer shocks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Pair-of-N...5XO2aZ&vxp=mtr
I remember seeing some of those. The name always gets me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy_72
I will always recommend fox shocks... pricey but worth it... they are currently on my duramax and the ride changed drastically... They will be going on the blazer when i get to that point...
Never heard of Fox shocks. I'll look into them.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
cleszkie

Definitely poly spring eye bushings. Rubber body mounts are good, but they do deteriorate (especially the repop ones made with crappy synthetic rubber). Don't shy away from the poly body mounts. Use the proper lube when installing all poly mounts and noise will not be an issue. Most people just throw them in dry and wonder why the squeak.

I also highly recommend the Bilstien 5100 series gas charged shocks. The Fox bypass shocks could definitely be tuned to give a better ride. But the cost significantly more.

Lastly, I installed a set of fully adjustable load assist air bags in the rear of my Blazer to help support my slide in camper and reduce body roll. They work great. They also work great at reducing body roll without the camper. I don't run front sway bar, and don't need to with the bags in the rear.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #7
87Skier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
Definitely poly spring eye bushings. Rubber body mounts are good, but they do deteriorate (especially the repop ones made with crappy synthetic rubber). Don't shy away from the poly body mounts. Use the proper lube when installing all poly mounts and noise will not be an issue. Most people just throw them in dry and wonder why the squeak.

I also highly recommend the Bilstien 5100 series gas charged shocks. The Fox bypass shocks could definitely be tuned to give a better ride. But the cost significantly more.

Lastly, I installed a set of fully adjustable load assist air bags in the rear of my Blazer to help support my slide in camper and reduce body roll. They work great. They also work great at reducing body roll without the camper. I don't run front sway bar, and don't need to with the bags in the rear.
Good info here. Noticed last night when I drove my blazer just how much body roll there was. I was in a bit of hurry on a curvy road, and I have to say don't mix braking and turning.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Blazerowner

Wes on here sells a USA made kit for our Blazers. I'm ordering a set today.

http://www.classicheartbeat.com/67-72_body_mounts.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post

Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote