The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #76
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Burb Build

I got allot done today and would have finished the 4th door but I ran out of gas for my TIG. I started off by adding the second skin to the front of the door edge. This is to add strength to the front edge just like the factory did. Since mine did not have the factory door edge I had to make it this way. I first welded the edge all the way up the door making sure not to warp anything. Then I added an 1/8" Tig rod to the edge of that to give a thicker profile so their is more for the paint to stick to and to give a bit more metal to to scribe for my door gap. Then I sprayed some blue die on the edge of the door so when I scribed my 3/16" gap it would be allot easier to see and grind. After that was done I started welding up the inner door panel up until I ran out of welding gas.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #77
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

Looking Good, Between you , Hart & Frizz You Have Set the Bar Pretty High for any one Even Thinking of a Burb Build

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #78
68chevy68

Your thread is very inspirational. I learn a lot by watching others. My gaps on my truck are all over the place. Im trying not to look at them for the moment maybee they will correct themselves... lol. just kidding. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.
68chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #79
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanytoyz View Post
Looking Good, Between you , Hart & Frizz You Have Set the Bar Pretty High for any one Even Thinking of a Burb Build

Rick
Thanks Rick, real soon someone else can add their name to this list

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #80
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The part I'm waiting to see is a pancaked roof. A beaded one would be very slick looking.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #81
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The part I'm waiting to see is a pancaked roof. A beaded one would be very slick looking.

I don't think this build will be going that far. Plans have changed again so a few more days in the shop and a for sale sign my be in it's future!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #82
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Like everyone else, I love your work. Its fun to watch. I really like your attitude about learning.

Ive read about Laz's classes a few times. I would like to take one someday. I wish he was closer. So did everyone in your class build the same things? I see you have a good start on a 34 roadster. Ive seen the Willy's coupe they built and I heard they built a Cobra in a class too.

I wish I was a little more flush right now. I would love to have the burb or the truck. Have you posted either of these for sale yet?

Last edited by CG; 10-12-2008 at 11:53 PM.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 AM   #83
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Like everyone else, I love your work. Its fun to watch. I really like your attitude about learning.

Ive read about Laz's classes a few times. I would like to take one someday. I wish he was closer. So did everyone in your class build the same things? I see you have a good start on a 34 roadster. Ive seen the Willy's coupe they built and I heard they built a Cobra in a class too.

I wish I was a little more flush right now. I would love to have the Burb or the truck. Have you posted either of these for sale yet?
Most guys were working toward the same parts I made but were a few panels short. They wanted to talk more but I was their to learn as much as I could. Low Buck is up as well as my 63 GMC SWB but the Burb will not be for sale until the 4th door is 100%.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #84
Hart_Rod

Wink Re: LFD's 4dr Burb Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Most guys were working toward the same parts I made but were a few panels short. They wanted to talk more but I was their to learn as much as I could. Low Buck is up as well as my 63 GMC SWB but the Burb will not be for sale until the 4th door is 100%.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
ROK = less talk and more action......... I thought you were leaning toward keeping the Burb??
Hart_Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #85
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
ROK = less talk and more action......... I thought you were leaning toward keeping the Burb??
Yeah I was until my ADD kicked in again I just had to be honest with my self and I will be getting more into older hot rods and with a little one running around my time is not as plentiful as it once was. If I keep and finish up everything I have now it will be 3-4 yrs before I can really get going in the other direction and that just does not work with my business plan. So I need to stick my original plan and that was to build the 4th door so I would have all the templates I need for doing another one and sell this one off. I am toying with the 5K range but will not know for sure until that time comes.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #86
BlueJeep

I hear you on the little ones vs. available time. I have 1 year old twin boys and I'm not in the shop nearly as much as I'd like to be now.

It would still be really cool rolling up to pick up a customer's project pulling a trailer with a bagged, 4 door burb. Plus, you'll have a lot more room than you would in an older burb/panel/pickup. You need wheelbase and weight to pull your trailer, and the burb has both of those going for it.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #87
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
I hear you on the little ones vs. available time. I have 1 year old twin boys and I'm not in the shop nearly as much as I'd like to be now.

It would still be really cool rolling up to pick up a customer's project pulling a trailer with a bagged, 4 door Burb. Plus, you'll have a lot more room than you would in an older Burb/panel/pickup. You need wheelbase and weight to pull your trailer, and the Burb has both of those going for it.
I hear you but I have another vehicle (07 Trailblazer SS 395HP) that I can tow with that is just sitting around collecting Insurance, DMV fee's and Dust but not getting used very much. SO the Burb is going to go once I finish up a few small things. It was a fun build and turned out great.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #88
tobiahr

As long as you keep getting new projects and posting these inspirational build threads I personally don't care what you actually drive. I just love seeing your work. Between you, Frizzle Fry and a close friend who said "Its only metal, shape it how YOU want it" I've gained the confidence (or lack of sanity) to customize my Blazer. Now if I can just convince my better half it’s a good use of funds.
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #89
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiahr View Post
As long as you keep getting new projects and posting these inspirational build threads I personally don't care what you actually drive. I just love seeing your work. Between you, Frizzle Fry and a close friend who said "Its only metal, shape it how YOU want it" I've gained the confidence (or lack of sanity) to customize my Blazer. Now if I can just convince my better half it’s a good use of funds.
Well for starters Thank you! Next it is a terrible use of funds if they are not available as "extra". But it is allot cheaper than stopping by the bar every day on the way home or stopping by someone Else's home on your way home. Your better half always knows were you are (in the garage) and it is a great family hobby. If you have not done so yet take her to a few local car shows or drive-ins and let her get a feel for the people that are in this hobby.
Now your friend is right and here is one more for ya.

Their are only 5 things you can do with steel!
1) cut
2) bend
3)weld
4) shrink
5) stretch

Once you have a god grasp on those 5 things their is nothing that can not be done with it!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #90
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well for starters Thank you! Next it is a terrible use of funds if they are not available as "extra". But it is allot cheaper than stopping by the bar every day on the way home or stopping by someone Else's home on your way home. Your better half always knows were you are (in the garage) and it is a great family hobby. If you have not done so yet take her to a few local car shows or drive-ins and let her get a feel for the people that are in this hobby.
Now your friend is right and here is one more for ya.

Their are only 5 things you can do with steel!
1) cut
2) bend
3)weld
4) shrink
5) stretch

Once you have a god grasp on those 5 things their is nothing that can not be done with it!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I whole heartedly agree with the above statement about this hobby from Kevin.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #91
Rokcrln

I have been asked a few times in PM's for other pics of the burb so here are 1 or 2! It has all the glass except the rear side's and the windshield. New body mounts and the tub has been cleaned and undercoated. New trailing arm hardware and I assume bushings as well. And the best part is zero rust that I have been able to find. The driver rocker was replaced by a PO but they did a great job, it took me a bit of looking before I even saw it had been done.

The rear door hard ware has been rebuilt and works like new!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #92
Rokcrln

The white stuff is the weld thru primmer I used on the 4th rocker.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:39 PM   #93
Rokcrln

The last few.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM   #94
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Just read the whole thing, I'm tired just thinking about all of those welds Looks nice!

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #95
muddyblazer02

love the burb
truckjunkie
Old 10-16-2008, 01:44 AM   #96
Frizzle Fry

Damn that thing is clean! What a great stating point that will be.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #97
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Damn that thing is clean! What a great stating point that will be.
Yep that is why I jumped all over it when I found it. Problem is I jumped all over the other 11 vehicles I have as well. Time to down size

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 10-16-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #98
Frizzle Fry

Questoin:

How did you bend the flange that's right next to the drip rail over without pushing it in? In other words, how did you get such a nice brake there?

Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 10-17-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #99
Rokcrln

With the flat sharp end of one of my dolly's and very light taps working back and forth until it was just right. I was surprised how easy it ended up being and how factory it looks.

Well I should get almost a full weekend to work on and finish up the 4th door so I hope by Sunday to be able to put up some red and white price sign's very soon!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 10-17-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #100
Rokcrln

Finished!!

Well at least the 4th door is now done. I still need to put the front end back on before it goes up for sale.

Kevin
LFD Inc.