The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
olered96

Vortec serpentine system

Hello all after a brief history of not really messing with my 72 c10 I'm doing some minor engine work. Has comp 260h cam, but now adding a performer intake and carb and fixing several oil leaks. While doing this I wanted to change to a serpentine system. I have located one from a TBI truck I think which has the mount for the smog pump which does not looks very good, also no bolts and no crank or water pump pulleys and power steering looks like its leaking, but like the A/C on passenger side. Also have found one from a Vortec engine at a junkyard that is complete with fan and all just not A/C compressor or alternator which they said they would find. I'm wondering if I go the Vortec route and bolt the crank pulley to my harmonic balancer will everything else line up being that the vortec engines had the reluctor wheel behind the harmonic balancer? Truck currently has the log style compressor mounted on the drivers side, with the new Delphi or whichever it is from the vortec adapt to the hoses or will I have to get new hoses made. Thanks
olered96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #2
truckster

Re: Vortec serpentine system

The crank timing gear on the Vortec is thinner to allow for the reluctor. The overall thickness is the same. I'm building a Vortec for my Blazer and removed the reluctor and installed a Cloyes double roller timing chain, the same one I would on any Gen I SBC.

As far as the AC hoses, I haven't gotten that far, but I'm figuring on having to have some hoses made.

Oh, and welcome to the board.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
olered96

So it will work with the stock harmonic balancer? Sorry you lost me
Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #4
truckster

The balancer will line up just fine. However, now that I think about it, I believe at least some of the accessory mounting holes in the heads are different. I'll try to do some research and get back to you.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #5
olered96

I know I'll have to drill the extra hole in the head or just use the two and also will need vortec water pump for water pump pulley to work. Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Also keep in mind that the 4.3L V6 uses the same system as the V8's. I found the one I used out of an S10 Blazer. Gives you more options to search.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by olered96 View Post
I know I'll have to drill the extra hole in the head or just use the two and also will need vortec water pump for water pump pulley to work. Thanks
The vortec pulley will work fine with your stock balancer. I have this setup on my 78 350 now. I had to drill the pass side head for the alternator bracket.

For the water pump you should use a 88-95 model pump and pulley to keep from having to deal with the two hose fittings on the pump itself and the fact that you'll have to plug the bypass hole in the block. This pump works fine with the vortec brackets.

If you get stuff from a 4.3l skip the crank pulley. Its different from a V8 one I've been told. All the rest is the same though.

Also consider getting an AD244 alternator from a 00-05 Suburban/Tahoe with a 5.3l Its a much better unit with higher output than a CS series and is a bolt in replacement.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote