The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #1
JimDirt

58 TF Wipers and Tilt Comumn ??

In reading some older topics about Wipers on the TF trucks , one thing i did not see was if anyone has found a OEM type (wrecking yard ,etc , GM of some type) wiper motor , that will allow you to use the Wiper Delay on a tilt column switch , is there a way to make a "modern" wiper motor work with the 58 arm setup ?? , i understand that mounts would most likely have to be made to mount the motor , but can a modern motor work and function correctly in these trucks ?? , or do i have to use the original 2 speed motor ??

Since my plan is to use a tilt column , i would really like to have more control of the wipers , and they have the delay switch , but i doubt it can be made to function with the stock motor setup

I have seen some "kits" that say they convert to modern setup , but they are around $500+ , that is too much for my budget , and to me , its just too much to have variable speed wipers period ..

Idea's/suggestions , or am i stuck using what came with the truck ???

I just remember being with my dad in rainstorms , and the wipers either were too slow to do anything when it rained anything heavier than a drizzle , and when they went fast it seems they flew across the windshield rather than "wiped" across the windshield , so they did not work well in either case
JimDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Kingmike

Re: 58 TF Wipers and Tilt Comumn ??

I am not saying this is the best way, but its what I came up with, and I'm very happy with function, operation, and features. Background I body swapped a 1958 pick up to a 1992 Buick road master frame, using entire drive train, entire wiring harness, steering column. Pro's: plug and play using stock 1992 road master wiper motor, I get two speed operation with intermittent operation, using the stock control on the road master column, I also found a washer bottle to hide inside fender well with fill poking thru into engine bay, from a jeep Cherokee, that had the same plug to one of the washer pumps! Plug and Play! Works like a dream!. Cons: I have a primarily unmolested dash and wanted to use the stock radio location for a newer classic radio, but I have about 3 1/2 inches behind the dash , so a typical radio will not work. I have pictures showing mounting plate and how I changed action from a circle drive to a back and forth drive. Its pretty cool, I have the wipers basically resting on the windshield rubber, when turned on they move about 1 1/2 inch then cycles thru the wipe arc and when turned off they return to the rest spot. There was a lot of trial and error and actually pics are not end result.LOL I moved motor mounting location 3/4 inch higher and linkage rod now has a kink in it.

Kingmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #3
JimDirt

That looks like a nicely thought out setup , so i am assuming that the main issue is the function of the stock arms needs to be a back & forth motion and all modern motors/arms run using a circular motion only , which is why you had to fabricate the actuator setup correct ??

So nothing modern will work by fabricating mounting brackets alone , it will require some way to alter the function that allows it to run the stock arms , i am guessing the issue is in the throw of the motor running just circular , its not enough to move the arms far enough during a rotation ?? , i have not looked at the stock unit setup enough to see what it is actually needing to do to move the arms across the windshield , i am wondering if "modern" arms can be utilized that match/go with the acquired motor from a donor vehicle , as to allow the system to function properly , i would think they could be attached to the connector arm that connects the left and right wiper actuator , since that part should be "standard" for all vehicles that run cowl mounted wipers with a in cab motor ....looks like nothing comes easy when working on these "older" trucks , it seems everything i want to do , has a issue or compromise to adapt it to this truck

My old Muscle cars were definitely easier to "alter/upgrade" than it seems these trucks are.....
Old 11-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Kingmike

Well as I said , it was the direction I went, and there were factors that led me this way. First I had the column and harness already installed so I thought it would be easier to go with the road master set up , how ever the wipers on these trucks are opposing, if that's the right word, the wipers on most newer go in the same direction. If you could find one that works the same on a newer car. I was told by a buddy that newer ford transit vans work this way, I chose not to follow up because I didn't think it would be plug and play with the control I had, you may not be committed to a specific column yet. I didn't think moving the wiper arm post location was a feasible undertaking. there might be rear wipers that have the proper action, but I haven't looked into proper control, the bummer is that I had a working electric wiper motor , so I went this far just for intermittent wipers. The truth is any wiper does not work that well, and I still recommend rain x , as I apply all the time. I would be interested in the direction that you go. please post.
Kingmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
mr48chev

As far as getting a wiper motor off a donor to work the way you want it to I'd say spend the big part of a day in a wrecking yard studying possible donors.

I appreciate Kingmike's method of using what came with the donor he already had for one stop shopping and being creative enough to fab the bracket and linkage to make it work. I've been working on and building these old trucks before they were old and there isn't any free lunch when you start swapping parts around. Some times you get lucky and something works just right or fits just right with a slight mod but most of the time you have to apply the creative side and do some creating.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
JimDirt

Yea i understand its going to be a "project" , just hoping i can be led to , or figure out the best way to undertake the project without going off the deep end

I do plan to scour the wrecking yards , but i was unsure as to what direction to start , so i understand now that a "bolt in" unit is out , but hopefully , something will work that is not a major undertaking and can be "adapted" with some degree of ease , but finding a under dash unit that can be made to fit will be the next challenge

Maybe the later model trucks or vans with tilt/delay columns will have a wiper setup that can be fitted without rebuilding the entire front of the cab , and i never thought about the wipers being a crossover sweep , i completely forgot about that , and that most cars/trucks went to the going in the same direction as each other for just the reason why its hard to make the crossover setup work properly , maybe relocating one side to accommodate the wipers moving in unison , and moving the hole on the cowl to match would be better time spent , and then simply make a mount to hold the motor and be done (well not exactly that easy , but) doing this might be better than trying to find something to work with the current crossover pattern , and just taking a complete under dash donor setup along with the wiper control setup in the cowl and making it fit to the truck would be a easier mod , basically a few tabs , and reworking of the cowl to move the hole over , yes/no ??