The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
ElCoSix

Broken bolt in front of crankshaft

Aargh!
I have a 67 El Camino with the 250 inline six that I'm restoring. I'm going to use the six for now - and maybe forever. I'm trying to get a broken bolt out of the crankshaft without tearing it apart. There's no radiator or even core support yet, so I can get right at it. I was thinking that if I had a new bolt, I might be able to get a machine shop to drill right through the center so it would make a nice guide to drill in the very center of the broken bolt. Then I could start the bolt in and drill a pilot hole right where it's supposed to be. That way I could try a reverse direction drill bit or some kind of extractor. Does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the bolt or where I can get that information? Or better yet, does anyone have one? Or any other ideas for getting the broken bolt out?
Thanks a lot,
Scott
ElCoSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Broken bolt in front of crankshaft

How deep down is the bolt broken off? You might have enough room to stuff an aluminum (so it doesn't trash the threads) bushing in it. I think the threads are 3/8" or 7/16". You can try a couple of bolts to check that. Then get a bushing from the hardware store with a 1/4" ID and whatever the OD is. You might have to go to a 3/16" ID. This is all contingent on there being enough depth for the bushing.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #3
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCoSix View Post
Aargh!
I have a 67 El Camino with the 250 inline six that I'm restoring. I'm going to use the six for now - and maybe forever. I'm trying to get a broken bolt out of the crankshaft without tearing it apart. There's no radiator or even core support yet, so I can get right at it. I was thinking that if I had a new bolt, I might be able to get a machine shop to drill right through the center so it would make a nice guide to drill in the very center of the broken bolt. Then I could start the bolt in and drill a pilot hole right where it's supposed to be. That way I could try a reverse direction drill bit or some kind of extractor. Does anyone know the thread size and pitch of the bolt or where I can get that information? Or better yet, does anyone have one? Or any other ideas for getting the broken bolt out?
Thanks a lot,
Scott
Machine shop would be able to get it out better as they most likely would be able to put a jig on it and keep a drill centered to use an EZ out.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
ElCoSix

Actually, that is a better idea than trying to drill the bolt. Thanks for that. The broken bolt sticks out almost to the top of the threads. I can get maybe a half of a turn in with a bolt - not even enough to tell if it's the right thread pitch. That's part of my problem too. But if I can clean out some of those threads a little deeper somehow maybe I can stick a bushing in there - even if only a little bit - it could help guide the drill bit. I feel like it's worth doing a lot of figuring out and doing a lot of work to get this out without tearing anything apart.
Thanks a lot - I'll post if I succeed!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
Grumpy old man

Can you post a pic? I haven't seen a 67 -250 with a Hb bolt ,Unless someone already drilled and tapped it ? All the ones I have are pressed on ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
it2castelo

If you do decide to drill it, put a stop on your drill bit. When you get through the broken bolt your momentum will make you start drilling into the crankshaft. When you pull the bit out, oil will flow out. Then you need to replace the crankshaft. Don’t ask how I know this.
it2castelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

We need a picture. Or two!

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #8
cleszkie

If it were me, I'd try welding a bolt to the broken end and back it out that way. Probably need to use a slightly smaller diameter bolt in order to make room to weld if the bolt is broken off below the face of the crank shaft. Before attempting to back the broken bolt out, I would also soak it with some penetrating oil. I would also probably apply some low heat to the crank to help loosen things up.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Can you post a pic? I haven't seen a 67 -250 with a Hb bolt ,Unless someone already drilled and tapped it ? All the ones I have are pressed on ?
The grump is right!
No need to remove a bolt by any method that isn’t there.
They were pressed on.
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #10
DWX 9929

Weld a nut to the broken bolt. Same size as the bolt. Weld down through the center. Let cool some then tap towards the bolt several times. May take several tries. When bolt starts to turn work it back and forth as you remove it.
Posted via Mobile Device
DWX 9929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
Grumpy old man

I wonder how many guy's will be trying to weld a nut to a "broken HB bolt" that doesn't exist on the 250 crank ?

There is NO bolt on the 67 truck 250 crank .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
DWX 9929

Quote:
I wonder how many guy's will be trying to weld a nut to a "broken HB bolt" that doesn't exist on the 250 crank ?

Sorry if I gave bad advice. Being unfamiliar with the crank, I don’t know if there’s a bolt or not. I was just advising how to get any broken bolt out.
Posted via Mobile Device
DWX 9929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
cleszkie

Quote:

I don't think the OP mentioned that it was a harmonic balancer bolt. But he definitely seems convinced he has a broken bolt of some sort. Perhaps he is confusion the crank with the cam, and he is actually dealing with a broken timing chain gear bolt in the cam. Without pictures, nobody will know for sure what is going on here.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I don't think the OP mentioned that it was a harmonic balancer bolt. But he definitely seems convinced he has a broken bolt of some sort. Perhaps he is confusion the crank with the cam, and he is actually dealing with a broken timing chain gear bolt in the cam. Without pictures, nobody will know for sure what is going on here.
L6s have a gear-to-gear set. No chain.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #15
ElCoSix

Hmm. Weird. I won't be near my project until Saturday and I'll try to do some pics that are nice and clear and post them. Thanks a lot for all the responses!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
ElCoSix

By the way, would any other inline six have been used in a '67 El Camino? And would any of them have had a bolt? There is a woodruff key there, so it does seem the HB would be pressed on, but there's also a hole in the end of the crank with something in there that appears to be a broken bolt. Looks like only 3/8 or 7/16 diameter.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #17
cleszkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
L6s have a gear-to-gear set. No chain.
OK. But one of the gears is bolted to the cam. That was my point.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
OK. But one of the gears is bolted to the cam. That was my point.
Actually IIRC, the gear on the cam is pressed on with a frozen cam and super-heated gear step. L6s are different. Also, 292s have a bolt in the crankshaft to secure the HB. 230/250s don't have a bolt, at least not the early ones.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCoSix View Post
Aargh!
Thanks a lot,
Scott
Not all 250s were drilled for a Harmonic Balancer retaining bolt, like the 292s had. Such a [stock] bolt hole would be a 7/16-20 UNF X1.0'' deep thread. Leo Santucci, author of the ''Chevy Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual'' recommends drilling and tapping the crank snout fot 1/2''x 20NF x 2-1/2''.
[Same as a Chevy V8.]
El Caminos could possibly have a 230 [car] engine, which looks just like the 250 from the outside. Run the ''dress numbers'' stamped in the pad just aft of the distributor hole. The 2- or 3-letter code at the end can tell you.

A retaining bolt for the HB is a great idea on any L6, as that allows you to use a fine-threaded HB installer tool to press the balancer on smoothly, which is a lot better than bashing it on with a deadblow hammer. The cruder assembly method can cause bearing damage if not done right.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
ElCoSix

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Not all 250s were drilled for a Harmonic Balancer retaining bolt, like the 292s had. Such a [stock] bolt hole would be a 7/16-20 UNF X1.0'' deep thread. Leo Santucci, author of the ''Chevy Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual'' recommends drilling and tapping the crank snout fot 1/2''x 20NF x 2-1/2''.
[Same as a Chevy V8.]
El Caminos could possibly have a 230 [car] engine, which looks just like the 250 from the outside. Run the ''dress numbers'' stamped in the pad just aft of the distributor hole. The 2- or 3-letter code at the end can tell you.

A retaining bolt for the HB is a great idea on any L6, as that allows you to use a fine-threaded HB installer tool to press the balancer on smoothly, which is a lot better than bashing it on with a deadblow hammer. The cruder assembly method can cause bearing damage if not done right.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #21
ElCoSix

Oh! Thanks much! I’ll check those numbers and thanks for the thread size/info. Maybe I’ll try to find Leo’s book while I’m at it.
Posted via Mobile Device