The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2002, 09:31 PM   #1
Benrs86

Post idles rough?

i know, this is a tid bit off topic so if it needs to be moved fine, but, my friend has a 89 honda civic. and it idles rough, and when he comes to a stop, it dies. but at highway speeds, everything is great. vaccuum leak?? thats what my dad told me, and i dont have a vaccuum guage but does that sound right, and i cant hear it. what should i look for? its a 89 so its carbuerated and there are vaccuum lines ALL OVER for EVERYTING. i have never seen so many vaccuum lines. anything else to look for or how to narrow the leak down to a certain hose. i think i will pinch all the lines off and see if it runs better. that should work to make sure it is a vaccuum leak right? thanks, Ben
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:09 PM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

Check the pcv valve(located between #2 & #3 intake runner on the intake manifold. These are usually overlooked on a tuneup and will cause a terrible idle problem.

Other things to check is the intake gasket. Using a can of carb spray *Carefully* spray around the intake/cylinder head area. Be very careful when you get close to cylinder #4 because your close to the distributor!

If spraying around the intake and carb area improves the idle, you definatly have a leak... if not then the problem is in a different area (plugs, low compression on one cylinder, etc...)

Let me know if carb spray helps

You could always throw more rice at it.. im sure it will be happier LOL

------------------
Pictures and more...
piston@zkast.com
'71 LWB
350/350T, PS/PB
Special options? Yes, RUST... Need some?
------------------------------------------
Webmaster/Team owner
www.zkast.com
Garrett - Olathe, Kansas
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:58 AM   #3
Benrs86

ok, the pcv valve goes up into the air cleaner right? because i took the lid off and it was there, blowing air up, so i figured it was the pcv valve, but it shouldnt hurt if that isnt blowing into the cleaner right? like on my 350 i just have it venting outside.? i will try some carb spray. by the way the plugs and gas filters are new. i was thinking one of the millions of vaccuum lines going everywhere else could be the problem. here is how i decided that: we unplugged one of the vaccuum lines, could hear no vaccuum noises, and the engine hardly ran rougher. and had very little vaccuum sucking on that line. then on my moms van we did the same and the engine ran way rougher. but we could hear the vaccuum. and you could feel it sucking waaay harder. maybe it sucks harder cuz its a v8? what should the vaccuum be on a little honda engine? i dont know the displacement. maybe we couldnt hear it because there is a bigger leak covering the sound up? i really dont know, but i will try some carb spray when i can. thanks, Ben

------------------
Brandon, SD
69 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd
wide long bed with wood
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04

3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04