The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2024, 01:41 PM   #1
mobileortho

Hazzard lights

Added a set of LED headlights. These have built in DRLs & turn signals. Can't figure out what the emergency flashers don't work though. All of the lights, stop/turn & headlights are all LEDs & I'm using the United Pacific 90652 LED Flasher which was recommended. Any other suggestions?
Attached Images

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:51 PM   #2
damnyankee36

Re: Hazzard lights

Have you tried installing the polarity changer module into the flasher receptacle before installing the flasher? That's the item below the flasher.
Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 03:26 PM   #3
mobileortho

Yep, everything's hooked up.

1950 3600

Old 03-26-2024, 03:50 PM   #4
leegreen

did hazard work before the headlights went in?

How are the hazard, brake and turn wired up? There is some complicated switching going on to make them all work, either a standalone hazard switch with about 6 pins or in the column.

Can you replace a bulb with incandescent to see if it works with a greater electrical load?
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:48 PM   #5
damnyankee36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Yep, everything's hooked up.
Have you tried the flasher without it? It could be a polarity issue.
Current Build: 1968 C10 (Semi-Factory Restoration)
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:09 PM   #6
dsraven

makes me think there is a polarity issue as well. or just simply a bad part, like the polarity changer.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:36 PM   #7
mr48chev

The truck is probably rejecting those ugly lights not wanting to have it's friends make fun of it at the next cars and coffee. I'm sorry but on older rigs that is one of the biggest waste of good truck bucks to be part of a fad that detracts from the looks of the truck that I have ever seen. At least the visors were sold new by chevrolet to keep frost off the windshields in Minnesota.

The fix as usual with most electrical issues is making sure that your grounds are good and actually getting to ground to ground back to the battery. n from the turn light ground connection on the lights to a known good ground. First look in the instructions that came with the lights and check the wiring circuits and make sure which wire is the ground wire. You did ground that UP flasher to a good ground under the dash?

I found the instructions for the flasher and it is straight forward and simple. I found what I think the lights are but am probably wrong but the wiring on them relies on the ground wire for the headlight if that is the wiring you have. If that isn't it, first thing is to go to the light manufactures instructions and see what that says.

That wiring diagram for the headlight bulb it's self in the second image has me headed to look at a wiring diagram for a 7 inch seal beam just to make sure that I am seeing things right.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 11:06 PM   #8
mobileortho

The headlights aren’t the issue. Even when they’re disconnected the flashers don’t work. When engaged, they dim, but won’t flash.

1950 3600

Old 03-27-2024, 12:30 AM   #9
mr48chev

I'm going to ask you to either post the brand and model number of the headlights or a copy of the instriction sheet with the wiring diagram so we can see exaqctly what you are dealibg with. Preferrably the wiring diagram.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:01 AM   #10
mr48chev

One thing that I would do if I had a pair of generic turn lights sitting around that I could hook up to the turn light wires is hook them up with a temporary hookup making sure that they are grounded and see if the rest of the system work and those lights flash.

If they flash and work it is either in the headlights or in how you hooked them up but this will let you know if you have an issue down stream from the ends of the turn signal wires.

If you look at the headlight wiring diagram in post 7 you will see that the park and turn lights ground through the ground plug for the headlights and if the headlights aren't hooked up you don't have a ground. This is something that you need to check on the headlights.

Old 03-27-2024, 09:23 AM   #11
Rickysnickers

Dumb question, but on some hazard light set ups, they require a separate relay from the turn signals. Is this set up one of those types?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:45 AM   #12
dsraven

if you place a jumper wire accros the flasher plug in terminals where it plugs into the fuse panel the lights should light up but not flash. if that works try a new flasher. if it doesn't work then look into the wiring.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:29 AM   #13
mobileortho

Re: Hazard lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Dumb question, but on some hazard light set ups, they require a separate relay from the turn signals. Is this set up one of those types?
No separate relay required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you place a jumper wire accros the flasher plug in terminals where it plugs into the fuse panel the lights should light up but not flash. if that works try a new flasher. if it doesn't work then look into the wiring.

I'll try that & see. The truck was rewired using this Universal Wiring Harness from Speedway. and was pretty straight forward. It came with a standard flasher & I knew I was going to have to use one designed for LED's so I opted for the one listed previously. For what ever reason, I did order two, so I'll stick it in there to see if that works...fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
One thing that I would do if I had a pair of generic turn lights sitting around that I could hook up to the turn light wires is hook them up with a temporary hookup making sure that they are grounded and see if the rest of the system work and those lights flash.

If they flash and work it is either in the headlights or in how you hooked them up but this will let you know if you have an issue down stream from the ends of the turn signal wires.

If you look at the headlight wiring diagram in post 7 you will see that the park and turn lights ground through the ground plug for the headlights and if the headlights aren't hooked up you don't have a ground. This is something that you need to check on the headlights.
I'll stick a standard bulb in there to see if that makes a difference.

1950 3600

Last edited by mobileortho; 03-27-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:33 PM   #14
mr48chev

Unfortunately standard bulbs aren't going to tell him what he needs to know. It should tell him that the circuit actually works but doesn't tell him if it works with LED bulbs. As much as I like LED stop, tail and turn lights and replacement led bulbs for oem headlights like I have in My BMW they aren't without issues that they bring with them.

He needs to know if the wiring, Flasher and rest of the circuit is working right for LED bulbs up to that point. That's called making sure that it works right to this point and now we will deal with what we have past this point.

A test light should work to show that he does or doesn't have power to that plug though.

If the flasher is bad or hooked up wrong or the 4 way button the column is pushed and there is no flasher hooked up to that circuit causing the turn signals to not work. (been there done that on that one) Plus I forgot that one until this morning. Once he knows that he has the circuits working up to the park and turn light connections at the front then he can sort out the lights themselves. I'd set the lights on the bench, lay the wiring diagram for the lights next to them and either use jumper wires to a 12V power source or an OHM meter or circuit tester to figure out if they work at all and how they are supposed to be hooked up to work. Looking at the image of the wrangler lights in post 7 and the reason I posted it is that the park / turn bulbs ground through the headlight ground wire and if the headlight plug isn't connected and isn't wired right you don't have a ground.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:23 PM   #15
mobileortho

Plugged in the spare flasher last night and see that it's not the issue. Someone mentioned it could possible be a polarity issue, but even with the adapter it didn't work. There is a signal coming from the column, as I mentioned before, the lights will dim but not flash so I'm pretty sure its getting a signal from the column. I'll play around with it to see if I can figure it out.

1950 3600

Old 03-28-2024, 02:22 PM   #16
fauXGT

I am currently messing with a Speedway 22 circuit harness before installing, and it does have a separate spot for a flasher module for hazards only.
Did hazards work before the LED install.
A modern column will mostly use 2 flasher modules. One for turn, one for hazard. But I'm installing the factory AD column and an old school 7 wire Napa turn signal assembly from the early 60's. It has a built in hazard activation thru the turn signal flasher, so I'm not using the hazard plug on the panel.
Check to see if your fuse panel has 2 spots for flasher mods. If you have a modern column, the hazard circuit may not be wired in from the column to the panel even though you plug in a module.

Edit. The harness you are using is identical to mine. kitty corner from the turn mod plug is the hazard plug. A modern column with the hazard button on the side I'm pretty sure requires the wiring of the separate hazard circuit. The pushing in of the hazard switch on the column re-directs the signal to use the hazard on the panel. I set up LED's on a 91 GM with using the identical flashers, and the only issue was the alternating flashing on the front side lights when park lights were on. IT switches the polarity on an incandecent bulb which won't work on a LED. Fixed with wiring thru a 3 to 2 trailer mod. Much brighter lights, but a PITA to set up.
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
.....and more trucks

Last edited by fauXGT; 03-28-2024 at 02:37 PM.
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:33 PM   #17
fauXGT

And polarity should not be the issue if the LED's work with the turn signals.
On the Speedway harness, wire 27 dark brown comes off the hazard module on the panel and goes into 67-74 GM column plug. The kit also comes with the adapter for newer columns, unless yours is direct connection wired w/o a plug.
.....and more trucks
Old 03-28-2024, 03:48 PM   #18
leegreen

this is the connector from a '89 Camaro, appears to be the same wire colors as the speedway 22 circuit
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  25.2 KB

On the column side you should get continuity between hazard flasher wire and any of the stop or turn wires when the hazard switch is on. Measure resistance of the same circuit or hook a incandescent bulb in series to test the switch.

Or answer the questions about if it worked before the LEDs were put in
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 03:50 PM   #19
fauXGT

The flasher module only looks for a completed circuit connection, then will flash until circuit goes open. You are correct changing the flasher mod to electronic control.
Analog flashers will rapid flash with a lack of a full bulb load, indicating a dead incandescent bulb somewhere. LEDs have a fraction of the current draw, so electronic flasher needed. You can see it with ricky racers that change the bulbs to LED but leave the stock flasher in. A total rapid speed flash.
I still think it's odd that your turns work fine, but no hazard. A seperate hazard circuit in your case, maybe.
.....and more trucks
Old 03-28-2024, 03:50 PM   #20
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Plugged in the spare flasher last night and see that it's not the issue. Someone mentioned it could possible be a polarity issue, but even with the adapter it didn't work. There is a signal coming from the column, as I mentioned before, the lights will dim but not flash so I'm pretty sure its getting a signal from the column. I'll play around with it to see if I can figure it out.
Eeveything points towards the lights not being grounded properly or being defective. Again and for the last time, get the diagram for those specific lights out and study it and make sure that your connections are correct.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:01 PM   #21
fauXGT

If hazard flasher not plugged into panel, check for +batt, then ground on pin closest to 'acc 2' fuse. Should not have any. Then push in hazard button on column and check for +batt, then ground. If goes hot, then that will tell you that the column uses the separate flash mod, not the turn flasher, and an electronic mod will have to be there also. Not to familiar with GM column wiring, but checking that way is the safest. Then check for +batt on other pin. That is how it's wired from my panel, but I'm not using it.
.....and more trucks

Last edited by fauXGT; 03-28-2024 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:06 PM   #22
fauXGT

And it's not poor grounds or bad LEDs. They would be flakey or not work at all, even with turns.
If they work in turn and tail, they are not seeing the hazard circuit when activated. Maybe bad hazard circuit.
.....and more trucks
Old 03-29-2024, 12:16 AM   #23
dsraven

after consulting the wiring diagram for the lights and ensuring all is good there, and bench testing the lights and flasher, I think checking the input/output at the column is a good place to start. ensure all the pins at the column plug are connected correctly.
Old 03-29-2024, 03:14 AM   #24
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauXGT View Post
And it's not poor grounds or bad LEDs. They would be flakey or not work at all, even with turns.
If they work in turn and tail, they are not seeing the hazard circuit when activated. Maybe bad hazard circuit.
Normally the hazzard circuit disconnects the turn signal function.

The thing is that he needs to eliminate issues up to the connections that hook the orignal wiring to the turn signals in the after market led lights. Then he needs to understand how the total light has to be hooked up for the turn signals to function.

That it worked with what ever he had for turn lights before with a regular flasher says the wiring should be ok. That brings us to the issue either being with the flasher or how it is connected or with the lights and or how they are connected. New does not mean good, I have seen too my guys come close to loosing it on something like this and the problem was that one of the new parts was defective. I say it too often but NEVER ASSUMEm, test.