The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
bryankichler

Bryans 1966 LWB build thread

This will be a slow moving thread right now is to turn my truck into a comfortable daily driver. I got it a year ago and the past year has been researching and buying parts. I have already completed some things but took pictures with my ipod it takes bad pictures ill get better ones with my camera.

List of projects
Power Steering 90% Finished[/COLOR]
5 Lug Conversion 90% Finished
Power Brakes
[COLOR="rgb(255, 140, 0)"]5.3L/4L60e Swap 60% Finished[/COLOR]
Install Front and Rear Sway Bar

I may have missed a few things will update when I get pictures added

Future Projects
Rust Removal
Body work paint
Interior
Bed Floor

This was my starting point

Pulled Old gas guzzling engine and trans (Brand new rebuilt engine might find its way into my s10 after I can drive this thing again)

Installed 5 Lug Disc Front End (almost a direct bolt in and a carbide bit comes in handy for the elongated holes. I lucked out 18 years ago my dad used to build 80's model chevy pickups they would get wrecked trucks with under 50,000 miles I ran across his old boss and he still had one of those low mileage front ends in storage and it was a freebe)

Installed Power Steering Box using captainfabs braket (excelent product made the install super easy now just need to make up the lines for the new pump. I also used the newer steering linkage the idler arm is easy once the front end is bolted in power steering box installed and pitman arm installed it almost falls into place just small adjustment clamp drill and bolt)

New 5.3L and 4l60e

Sorry for not having more pictures ill try to be a little better about taking in progress pictures
bryankichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Bryans 1966 LWB build thread

You've made some good progress on your truck. Good score on the front suspension. That 5.3/4L60E will make for a nice driver.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
bryankichler

I hope to make a lot more by the end of next week. I have other things done that I havn't added yet dont have pictures but blazer tank installed behind rear axle braided fuel line ran with inline walbro 255 pump filter and fuel return line. also working on my dash all new autometer gauges didn't realize a 5" tach and speedo wouldnt fit so making a new panel out of stainless for my gauges. My goal is to start it up next week and maybe drive. I reworked the factory 5.3l harness the other night using lt1swap its real easy just looks intimidating I will be using a current performance fuse and relay box with it also. I have the factory fuse panel but its to bulky.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
kieth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankichler View Post
I hope to make a lot more by the end of next week. I have other things done that I havn't added yet dont have pictures but blazer tank installed behind rear axle braided fuel line ran with inline walbro 255 pump filter and fuel return line. also working on my dash all new autometer gauges didn't realize a 5" tach and speedo wouldnt fit so making a new panel out of stainless for my gauges. My goal is to start it up next week and maybe drive. I reworked the factory 5.3l harness the other night using lt1swap its real easy just looks intimidating I will be using a current performance fuse and relay box with it also. I have the factory fuse panel but its to bulky.
I ended up putting the fuel pump in the tank, had a lot of grief 4 fuel pumps mounted externally they all burned up pulling from the top of the tank. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
bryankichler

That dont sound good mine is mounted about 1 foot from the main feed on the top of the tank I hope mine works fine if not. I am running a 1972 blazer tank will the fuel injected sending units in the late 80 blazers and suburbans work with this tank.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM   #6
bryankichler

Made a lot more progress this week but the bad thing I have to go back to work so now its going to be weekend projects and the holidays are coming might be a bit before i get any updates.

Engine set in place had to make some modifications to engine stands my truck had the 6 banger stands holding my small block in sat the engine way back first time setting the 5.3 in it was to far back moved stands forward and they needed moved out an inch plus the harness running to the passenger side of engine was hitting my centerlink. ended up raising the engine stands 1" and out 1" made a world of difference plus my crossmember bolted right in no new holes. below are pictures of the install.

The Wiring was pretty easy just time consuming with all the wires then putting it all into wiring loom.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
bryankichler

And some more work this week installed radiator cold air intake finished up my gas tank finished up my underhood wiring dont have pics of my work today radiator hoses heater hoses last of the plumbing still need to modify my headers before i can fire it up.

now to fill this hole with gauges my at home project during the week before i start back on the truck

managed to get the underhood repainted finished routing all my wires hoses and started installing brake booster and new brake lines got hood installed forgot to get pictures before i left its looking like a truck again.

More crappy pictures took my camera but forgot the memory card
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
bryankichler

One nice thing I have found is after digging out the rats nest off added wires under the dash I found no cut or spliced wires in the original harness plus its in great shape rubber is still soft not brittle anywhere. now if the sheet metal had held up as well as the wiring besides what is visible on the outside id say i got more rust than metal.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
bryankichler

Managed to get my new cluster done still need to wire it but its my weekday project while im at work so i can still make some progress. Will have to do a better job on it some other time the stainless I used was a little flimsy

autometer gauges, led indicator lights and 2 push buttons 1 will be used for my haul ass button and will look for a good use on the other one
Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
bryankichler

not a lot new holidays dont help with progress on projects. I did do some finishing touches on the cluster and started the wiring waiting for plugs to come in to finish it up i dont want a mess of wires want a clean plug and play install.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #11
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankichler View Post
autometer gauges, led indicator lights and 2 push buttons 1 will be used for my haul ass button and will look for a good use on the other one
Label your second button::::
Passenger Eject
or
Self Destruct

You know, just for giggles.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
bryankichler

that would be great. the first button is the haul ass button i plan to use the other for manual shift. just have to reprogram my computer to accept it.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
bryankichler

After not working on the truck since november been busy. I fired it up this weekend here are the videos. It runs like s*** had bad fuel pressure due to a leak and needs a lot of tuning but all my work and wiring was great.

heres the videos they suck phone camera

Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
bryankichler

Still fighting for time to finish this thing up but its closer. Brakes are about 90% finished, driveshaft in, had to clean injectors good to get it running better. Also got a idea of how to make my fbody headers work.

and of course pictures

Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
bryankichler

After all this time I took a week vacation to finish the truck well today I made the hour long drive home im stoked. I still have a couple little things to finish up but she is road worthy again and a entirely different vehicle.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
bryankichler

Updated pictures of the truck finally at home I need to get 2 injectors though managed to get a couple bad ones.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
bryankichler

I got 2 new injectors on the way scored one hell of a deal on ebay 2 brand new delphi injectors shipped cost me a total of $46 the cheap knockoffs at the local parts store were $100 each cant wait to get them in and get this beast running better.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #18
joesscamaro

Looks good man. Hopefully those injectors will take care of your problems
Posted via Mobile Device
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
bryankichler

They should I originally started with 3 cylenders after soaking them I got all but 2 back. I have great compression signal going to the injectors, good coils, plugs, wires they are just not spitting guess thats what happens with a rollover vehicle and the top end fills with oil.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
bryankichler

Showed up at home today for lunch and saw my injectors where in the mailbox so I installed them and drove the truck back to work no more missing time to reprogram this beast.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #21
bryankichler

Finally switched places with the camaro

Old 07-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
bryankichler

I need something better for taking video's my phone sucks I also have my exhaust hitting in a spot will have to double check that and clearance if needed, but here it is video driving out at my fishing hole.