The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
nikwho

Pictures request - '67/'68 with 526 ivory/off white vs. 510 white?

Hello all,
So, I'm bouncing around color options. My truck was originally solid red (514). I'm going to make it two tone (roof and below lower body line). I'm not doing a "restoration" that must be correct. I mistakenly bought 510 white, whereas in 1968 (1967 & 1968) the two tone paint was the 526 ( I think) off white/ivory color. So, I'm not worried about buying another quart to spray it the ivory color, but before I commit to either color, I was hopeful that guys might post their two tone paint that has the ivory/off white.

I've seen lots of the bright 510 white paint in two tone paint jobs, as there are more of the '69-'72 trucks, but by all means, feel free to post yours here. Like I said, I'm not needing to be correct, just looking to find my preference!

So, I'm not looking to recreate the same two tone thread that I've searched for and found, but looking specifically for the early trucks with off white/ivory. I have already purchased six quarts of PPG Verde Chiarro Light Geeen, but when I sprayed my cowl, I can't get the image of a Forest Service truck out of my head. Anyway, I'm looking to go to a bright red, though not the original. The original 514 red is a little too orange for my liking. I'll attach a couple of pictures, first of what I was going for, then more or less what I'm after now:

If either of my two sample pictures are members' truck's, I apologize that I cannot credit you. Both are beautiful trucks! Neither the color that I painted my cowl, nor the new red color that I bought, that's on the paint lid in the last picture, are factory colors. Just my picks, from vehicles that I've seen and liked on the road. The color on my cowl is PPG Verde Chiarro Light Green, found on late model Fiat cars. The red on the paint lid, that I'm leaning towards is just a couple of gradients darker than the Flame Red, found on late model (09-15 or something like that) Jeep Wranglers.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
CC69Rat

Re: Pictures request - '67/'68 with 526 ivory/off white vs. 510 white?

WA8554 - Speedway White. 97-04 Corvette.

U57 - Ontario Gold 06 BMW M6 very limited production

But, I do agree I think it looks better as more of an Ivory color, creme, vanilla milk shake than a pure bright white. Just my opinion, and I certainly respect others. No offense intended to the guys with two tone and pure white.
Attached Images

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
nikwho

Your truck looks slick! I'm still looking for my cream white, but not in a particular hurry. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2018, 05:43 AM   #4
darrellyates

Paint colors are tough to pick. I saw pictures of Chad's truck, and wanted similar colors when I was building mine. Plus, I've seen tan ones at shows and so forth.

I had one blue and white and loved the colors, however, now there a bunch of blue trucks local and I wanted something different.

The point of my reply is that seeing pictures and seeing the paint in person is different. And, color of sealer under the paint also makes a difference in how the paint looks to the eye.

Just a couple more points. First, be careful on color numbers. GM has used the same white, and other color formulations under different numbers and names for decades. I found the current white on work trucks with the same actual formulation used back into at least the early 1960's. I didn't go back any further, it may go back farther than that. The same is true with other colors of red, and blue. Same formulation, different codes and different names.

For off-white, look at the India Ivory they used on Cameo trucks in the mid 1950's. Many of the older whites are more off-white than bright. And, don't limit yourself to GM colors. Lots of other car makers have great colors! Ford had some white colors in the 1960's that were not as bright as modern paint. Again, like Chad said, try for an Ivory color.

Last point... Remember that the color of sealer (or primer) will change the brightness of the paint. And both intensity and type of viewing light also changes the color. It's a good thing I didn't see the picture of the red/white truck in your post prior to painting mine, as I really like that truck. I also like the BMW Gold and white one that belongs to Chad, I've told him before I copied his truck with mine. I even sprayed out the BMW gold, but it just missed a little for me. I went with a little brighter gold on my truck, and used the current 8624 GM white. Yes, it's brighter than you want. Lastly, I use white sealer prior to paint. Really makes them "pop" in the sunlight.

Since it's not green or red, and you already have a picture of Chad's truck, I'm not going to re-post mine. However, I don't believe you will go wrong if your truck winds up looking like either in your initial post. Both are great looking trucks!!

Good Luck with your paint choice! Do a couple of spray-outs and look at them under different light sources. I think I sprayed nearly a dozen before I made a final choice...
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote