The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #276
straight6chevyguy

Re: Johns 66

Great work!

I would keep the red stripe, but it's your truck do what you want.

seeing your vent windows reminds me that I that I have a passenger vent window that
wont close right on my 65 that I'm going to have to fix soon.

Keep up the great work!
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #277
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
Great work!

I would keep the red stripe, but it's your truck do what you want.

seeing your vent windows reminds me that I that I have a passenger vent window that
wont close right on my 65 that I'm going to have to fix soon.

Keep up the great work!
Im leaning on keeping the red stripe....

Vent windows are becoming a PAIN.....the rivets I bought to do this....from a company that sells the whole kit.....well rivets aint working out too well...Maybe need to put a washer on the back side so they hold...plus the shoulder rivet for the up pivot point is not in the kit...so we will wee what the vendor does.

Put I did get my side emblems painted up...They look better in person than the pic shows
Attached Images

Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #278
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Ive tried to learn about the stripe....some say it was a dealer option on white trucks...some painted red, some black etc.....Mine is a factory white truck but have no way of finding out what the original stripe color was.

I had thought about doing the charcoal gray stripe, tailgate letters, interior and maybe some accents on the wheels....Luckily I don't have to decide today..LOL
I agree...I want to be as "original" as I can, but some things don't have to be perfect...especially if there is no information about it. I am deciding on cab interior color and think I decided on "close" to the original cab interior color....silver fawn. I am going to do an original 1965 Chevy color...silver pearl metallic.

Emblems look great!
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #279
Johns 66

A few update from Bryan at Fuller Hot Rods......Its pretty interesting on how he fits the doors. He said that they lined up pretty good from the start but just needed a lil tweaking...…
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #280
Lokin4AReason

looking good .... keep those foto(s) coming =)
Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #281
Johns 66

Rant

My rant is on vendors....they seem to not have a clue. I ordered some bolts that were supposed to be washer head bolts...Nope...wrong bolts...Of course I called and this lady who probably doesn't know the difference from a 66 C10 to a 97 Tells me I have the right bolts...Of course I disagree and along with the seal that goes on the cowl to the hood.....they sent a flat piece of rubber...again she tells me Im wrong...I offer to send a picture of the old one......then they want me to pay shipping back....Ok Im trying not to lose my religion at this point and ask for a supervisor and after 40 min they decide to refund my money.

SOOOO I call another vendor to get the right bolts I need and hopefully the correct seal....3 of the bolts I need are on back order for 3 weeks. So now this lady tells me that either I can delete the bolts and place them on another order causing another 9.95 in shipping of 4 little bolts or I can hold up the rest of the order for at least 3 weeks....Of course this sounds crazy to me and again ask to speak with a supervisor and again after another 45 mins they decide to ship what they have and ship the rest when it comes in and charge only one shipping fee.

These folks make a killing off shipping and they are not looking out for the customers here...Ill be glad that this is the last stuff I have to order.....Ok Rant over.lol
Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #282
Johns 66

Ok now for the good....well and some bad I guess.....Good for the truck....bad for the wallet....Bryan decided to change the inner rocker on the truck...said it "Might" have lasted but in his judgement needed to be changed.

I did get my parts orders in today and will start assembling the bed and working on the bed wood.

Lastly I have been looking for a water pump bypass fitting for EVER....ordered some...wrong thing....But today my friend Yelmer, Mike Remley, surprised me with one he found. Im gonna get it cleaned up and get it installed when I get ole girl back
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #283
roll_the_dice

I am always amazed at what passes as "customer service" these days. I love the convenience of online ordering, but hate how impersonal it is and how much many places just don't care or act like they are doing you a favor by treating you fairly.

Exciting how quickly Bryan is getting everything done. Going to look great and you won't have to worry about the rockers after you paint it.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:01 PM   #284
kdad

Sorry to see this happen to you John... Glad in the same breathe its not just me... Im also very lucky for the most part my local hardware has every nut and bolt ever made ….. If they don't have it... It might not exist. Chin up buddy the truck is looking great and the rockers are coming along nicely

Quote:
Rant

My rant is on vendors....they seem to not have a clue. I ordered some bolts that were supposed to be washer head bolts...Nope...wrong bolts...Of course I called and this lady who probably doesn't know the difference from a 66 C10 to a 97 Tells me I have the right bolts...Of course I disagree and along with the seal that goes on the cowl to the hood.....they sent a flat piece of rubber...again she tells me Im wrong...I offer to send a picture of the old one......then they want me to pay shipping back....Ok Im trying not to lose my religion at this point and ask for a supervisor and after 40 min they decide to refund my money.

SOOOO I call another vendor to get the right bolts I need and hopefully the correct seal....3 of the bolts I need are on back order for 3 weeks. So now this lady tells me that either I can delete the bolts and place them on another order causing another 9.95 in shipping of 4 little bolts or I can hold up the rest of the order for at least 3 weeks....Of course this sounds crazy to me and again ask to speak with a supervisor and again after another 45 mins they decide to ship what they have and ship the rest when it comes in and charge only one shipping fee.

These folks make a killing off shipping and they are not looking out for the customers here...Ill be glad that this is the last stuff I have to order.....Ok Rant over.lol

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 PM   #285
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I am always amazed at what passes as "customer service" these days. I love the convenience of online ordering, but hate how impersonal it is and how much many places just don't care or act like they are doing you a favor by treating you fairly.

Exciting how quickly Bryan is getting everything done. Going to look great and you won't have to worry about the rockers after you paint it.
Your right Andy...this is the rewarding part getting the metal work done.

In all honesty I think the places just have call centers and all use a central warehouse to sell stuff...…..I know Classic Parts and American Truck Parts uses the same warehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
Sorry to see this happen to you John... Glad in the same breathe its not just me... Im also very lucky for the most part my local hardware has every nut and bolt ever made ….. If they don't have it... It might not exist. Chin up buddy the truck is looking great and the rockers are coming along nicely
Scott I read your troubles with parts and feel your pain....Its gonna be worth it when Im driving ole girl down the road blairing my tunes without a care in the world...going to see Andy and having a big ole steak dinner.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:01 AM   #286
kdad

I will join you two for that Steak dinner. Lets meet in Colorado...LOL Close enough to half way.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 AM   #287
Johns 66

Quote:
I will join you two for that Steak dinner. Lets meet in Colorado...LOL Close enough to half way.
Gonna see the USA in my Chevrolet!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #288
cwcarpenter98

Steak dinner sounds great! My friends and I grilled up some deer steaks and wild boar pork chops last Sunday evening. It was very delicious

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #289
roll_the_dice

I foresee a C10 Rally in our future!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #290
jimmythompson1964

I'm with you on the customer service thing...I try to go to the swap meets like the one @ the Lowe's motor speedway or Shades of the Past in Pigeon Forge, those guys seem to know there business. I have to keep in mind the people at the other end of the phone are hourly employees and will never have the passion for our trucks like we do, they just want a pay check. As far as the bolts you may want to find a good company locally the specializing nuts and bolts, I found one in my home town and they usually have what I need. I also ordered a complete nut and bolt kit for when I start my paint work and setting my chopped top cab on the frame. Your truck is making some good progress keep up the good work my Brotha.
jimmythompson1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:30 PM   #291
Johns 66

While the truck is getting the rust repaired started working on the bed...Got it assembled....Only one hole was slightly off on the repop side.....Not bad in my opinion. Gonna have to drill the backup light hole since it didn't come on the repop side.

Ill start milling the wood this week...Gonna use Ash since it is a light colored wood.

I used the old wood and a piece of regular pine scrap I had to make sure of the spacing before I cut the wood.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #292
roll_the_dice

That's awesome you are milling your own wood for the bed. I need to clean up the wood on my bed.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #293
cwcarpenter98

My dad and I redid the bed wood ourselves almost 2 years ago. It was a fun project. I think you will enjoy it too

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #294
kdad

Beds lookin great John. I am thinking I will mill up my own material as well.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #295
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
My dad and I redid the bed wood ourselves almost 2 years ago. It was a fun project. I think you will enjoy it too
Yeah I know what you are saying...Mine and my Uncle taught me how to do wood working years ago so I enjoy it a lot....just wished they were still here.

Quote:
Beds lookin great John. I am thinking I will mill up my own material as well.
Thanks Scott...It isn't hard at all...Next post Ill explain the milling process.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 01-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #296
Johns 66

Well had a pretty decent day today playing in the ole wood shop......got the wood milled up and did a dry fit in the bed. I am using Ash...Its a real light hardwood so it should look really good with a natural finish.

I used the Mar K bed wood dimensions for the strips and used GMP Pauls dimensions for the wood. I adjusted the strip measurements just a fudge because I wanted the bed strips to sit flush with the top of the wood. I am exactly flush now but once I sand the wood Ill have less than a 1/16 of drop on it...The main focus was to ensure the wear strips did not sit above the rear cross member so you could look in the end of the strips when the tailgate was open....I think that looks cheesy...JMHO though

The only real issue I had was the side boards that that go in front and back of the wheel wells weren't wide enough in my opinion...….So Ill mill up 2 more boards and cut them to size....Im ok if they are a little wider inside the fender well.

BUT the BIGGEST issue I had was that evidentially when I numbered the cross braces...1,2,3 I apparently didn't remember which end I started from so none of the bolts holes line up except the rear cross brace

So Im gonna have to take the braces out and flip them around.....all I could say was DOH!!!!! But if that's the worst thing them Im way ok

Needless to say I will have to have some help doing this to ensure I get it back square...then I will get the wood installed with all the bolts, mark for the side holes and tear it all apart and finish the wood.

But here is a rough look at it...….the wear strips are flush with the rear cross member even though the pic looks like they are not.
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 01-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #297
straight6chevyguy

It's going to look great when you get it done!
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #298
roll_the_dice

Looks awesome John! Love how it sits flush.

Would love to redo the bed on mine myself, but I don't have the woodworking tools or skills. Kudos for anyone that can do it.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #299
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy View Post
It's going to look great when you get it done!
Thanks...just a lil time and effort....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Looks awesome John! Love how it sits flush.

Would love to redo the bed on mine myself, but I don't have the woodworking tools or skills. Kudos for anyone that can do it.
Thanks Andy...…..I just may know someone who could do that for ya.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 01-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #300
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Thanks...just a lil time and effort....LOL

Thanks Andy...…..I just may know someone who could do that for ya.

WOOOHOO.

I am going to try and clean mine up some...they just didn't seal it when they put it down.