The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
1968aj

swap meet gauges

picked up this gauge cluster at a swap meet for $10. it is rough looking but I took a chance. I did not even notice it had a air pressure gauge until got it home. I want to plug it in to my c10 to see if it works. IS THE WIRING PLUG THE SAME ON THIS CLUSTER??. THE PRINTED CIRCUIT IS DAMAGED SO SHOULD ANY GAUGES WORK?? any input is appreciated. THANKS
Attached Images

1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
Leonard1

Re: swap meet gauges

Probably came out of a C-50 or bigger truck. Something with air brakes.
Leonard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard1 View Post
probably came out of a c-50 or bigger truck. Something with air brakes.
that is why i am not sure if it will just plug into my existing wire harness. The place where you plug it in looks the same.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

What type of gauge cluster is in your truck now?

If yours has the "7 hole" style gauge cluster, that one will plug right in. The tach is wired separately from the printed circuit and will need some additional wires hooked up to make it work.

But if your truck has the "3 hole" warning light style cluster it will not. Well, it will physically plug in since the connectors are the same but it won't work correctly because the wiring pin-outs are different.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Yep. I have the same guage set in my Burban. The LMC circuit board when right on it and it plugged and works great even if it is flimsier that the factory one. Still working on an adapter to hook the air pressure guage up to the air tank.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Yep. I have the same guage set in my Burban. The LMC circuit board when right on it and it plugged and works great even if it is flimsier that the factory one. Still working on an adapter to hook the air pressure guage up to the air tank.
this helps out. I have a new non tach circuit board . will it work?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
this helps out. I have a new non tach circuit board . will it work?

Probably not as it won't stretch over the back of the tach.

For the price if the tach works you did great.also you will see that the oil pressure guage is a 80# guage and not a 60# guage. Desirable too some.

I would test out the tach too see if it works. If it does sell your non tach circuit too buy a tach circuit and use the parts and peices too build yourself a nice cluster.

Some of these big truck clusters come with a vacuum guage instead of a air pressure too me the vacuum is more desirable unless your running bags.

Either way even for the oil guage it is worth $10.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Coley

I agree with midnight blue on this.
So Test out the tach first before you start some heavy duty removal and installation procedure...or you will be doing it (at least) twice.
Its not hard to do.
There are (2) protruding terminals on the back of the tach...which are pretty evident. (you will see that they are both 'isolated' from the tach/tin body with the red plastic insulating washers)
One of them is for 'signal' from the coil (negative '-' side) and the other is a hot/main battery power or equivalent.
The third connection you will need, is to ground the metal tach casing to your trucks ground.....so that is a total of 3 wires you have to get sorted and connected.
You can do all of this by setting the (loose/uninstalled) tach up under the hood.
Important tho'.....do not allow these wires/connections to cross or touch....so be careful and take your time and make sure you insulate or tape them off separately while doing this.
So if you do that, you will know if you bought a working tach or not....and you don't need a working printed circuit to test the operation of the tach. The printed circuit will be powering up everything else in the dash with respect to the other gauges, lights, signals, etc......but nothing much to do with the tachs operation.
After that....you can start considering how to set that up in your dash so everything goes back the way it is supposed to.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
1968aj

thanks for the info on how to test tach. I read on a thread here somewhere that a non tach printed circuit was used on a tach dash. if the tach is good I have several old non tach clusters I can rob parts off of.lenscleaned up pretty good and I have several bezels laying around. if tach works I will clean cluster up and try to get it looking good. this will be a project just for practice because I already have a tach dash.THANKS
Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
1968aj

I tested the tach like Coley suggested and luckily it worked. once I get a tach dash printed circuit I will plug it in to my truck and check the other gauges. I have a set of white face gauge stickers to use if I can get all other gauges working.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #11
1968aj

Update on progress. this is not final as I still plan to add white face gauge decals. just got a new woodgrain bezel from classic industries. they are cheaper than most every other suppliers black bezel. $39.99. still have some testing to do as soon as a get a tach printed circuit.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #12
midniteblues

Sweet,
you really lucked out with a $10 tach.

The white guage faces will really help out.

You can pick up some led bulbs off flea Bay fairly cheap they help brighten up things too.

I didn't use the leds for my high beam or turn signals as they were just too much but everywhere else they work great.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #13
1968aj

I got lucky and found that all the gauges work. I put a different bezel on it and added the white face gauges . still have some detailing to do . I might install it in this truck.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #14
azle

Here did you get the white faces? Thank you looks great!

Azle
azle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #15
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by azle View Post
Here did you get the white faces? Thank you looks great!

Azle
got them on amazon. most part suppliers have them. they are stickers .
Old 07-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
stevenfromtexas

how did you get the chrome looking good again???
stevenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #17
stevenfromtexas

also....sorry to be too forward
what are your plans for your current one? mine broke in the lower right side. your current one is the same setup as mine
Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
randy500
Account Suspended

The gauge wiring is different for the 3 gauge panel, it can be re-pinned, do a search here for how to do that.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #19
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
The gauge wiring is different for the 3 gauge panel, it can be re-pinned, do a search here for how to do that.
I read those posts on how to rewire the pin. I am more confused on how to do it than before I read it. I will figure it out .
Old 07-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #20
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfromtexas View Post
also....sorry to be too forward
what are your plans for your current one? mine broke in the lower right side. your current one is the same setup as mine
if you are talking about the non gauge cluster I will not use it after I figure out how to change it over.previous owner put a separate set of gauges under the dash which I will also remove.if you are just needing a bezel I have several used ones. I will give you one if you need it.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #21
aggiegrad

I am in Houston (Katy) and just did the switch to gauges on mine this week. Moved the pins and it was not difficult. I used a later model volt gauge so I did not need to run the two new fused wires to the engine compartment for the amp meter. Got a couple more wires to remove from under the dash from the aftermarket gauges and will hopefully light it up today for a test.

It changed the look of mine as I had a blue GMC panel that is now black but I am OK with it. I was not too fond of the various shades of blue interior it had from the factory.

PM me if you have any questions.
aggiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #22
stevenfromtexas

not sure yet if i want to go back with the 3 gauge set up yet. thank you for the offer. i want to kick it around a bit. I'm still pretty far out before i need one
Old 07-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #23
1968aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegrad View Post
I am in Houston (Katy) and just did the switch to gauges on mine this week. Moved the pins and it was not difficult. I used a later model volt gauge so I did not need to run the two new fused wires to the engine compartment for the amp meter. Got a couple more wires to remove from under the dash from the aftermarket gauges and will hopefully light it up today for a test.

It changed the look of mine as I had a blue GMC panel that is now black but I am OK with it. I was not too fond of the various shades of blue interior it had from the factory.

PM me if you have any questions.
I will be checking with you. let me know how it comes out. THANKS
Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
aggiegrad

Mine turned out great for coming out of an abandoned cab in a field. Cleaned it up and painted the inside. Outside and glass cleaned up nice. Added LEDs and everything works. Much better than the broken after market gauges under the dash. Now to clean up the radio wiring mess. Old and "new" photos attached.
Attached Images

aggiegrad is offline   Reply With Quote