The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #1
huntznsam

Fuel hose

We were going through our newly purchased 1972 GMC. Although the PO put in a new gas tank, underneath we found 45 year old stock hose, heater hose, and vacuum hose posing as fuel hose. Our favorite counterman at an old school parts store quizzed us on our choice of SAEJ30R12, fuel injection hose. We don't care that it is $4 per foot - it is a durn sight cheaper than a fire. Buy the best available.

Got it replaced and so much more confident we' ll never need the newly installed fire extinguisher.
Just FYI, Never trust what was there before.
Thanks HuntzNSam
huntznsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
mike16

Re: Fuel hose

I would agree with the parts guy specially the cost benifit ratio of fuel hoses vs a burned down truck

but be carefull. even nice expensive new FI hoses dont last. I put new hoses on my 72 6 years ago. They are showing signs of aging that should have got them replaces about 2 years ago. so... yea replace them but dont expect the new ones to last more than 4 years. they may last more than that but see cost benifit ratio considerations above.

if your hell bent on resto quality... Dr rebuild will sell good correct GM type hoses. but , again.... 4 years.....
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote