The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Core support sheen & battery acid

Core sheen:

I had the impression the factory sheen for the under carriage and engine compartment was satin. These are the original "gussets" for the core support and fender. I cleaned them up with a nylon brush, which dulled them up a bit.

I'm no paint expert, but to me they look semi-gloss bordering on gloss. What's your opinion on the original sheen for a core support?

Battery acid:

Thought I had a rust free body until I came to this RH gusset, which I'm 99% sure is due to battery acid. It wasted the battery tray. I still need to clean the core support, which looks solid (and white). No more than surface rust on the RH fenders, once I busted through the acid anyway.

I'm fully responsible for said battery acid. While I kept my engine compartment clean, I used to buy cheap batteries, AND always left the negative side loose for "convenience". It was a top post battery, which may have been a contributor. Just an assumption here, but seems top posts create more external acid than side posts. For any Toyota owners anyway, you probably can relate.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: Core support sheen & battery acid

GM used various gloss levels of black depending on the application.

My core support was glossier than satin, close to semi-gloss. The inner fenders were more of a satin. The frame was satin or close to flat. At least that's what they looked like to me when new, so that's what they are now the truck is restored. If you are really anal about the frame you can buy GM chassis black at your local Chevy dealer. Brackets should be satin. Blower fan, gloss. Cooling fan, satin. Radiator, semi-gloss.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 07-17-2017 at 12:15 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:18 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
GM used various gloss levels of black depending on the application.

My core support was glossier than satin, close to semi-gloss. The inner fenders were more of a satin. The frame was satin or close to flat. At least that's what they looked like to me when new, so that's what they are now the truck is restored. If you are really anal about the frame you can buy GM chassis black at your local Chevy dealer. Brackets should be satin. Blower fan, gloss. Cooling, fan, satin. Radiator, semi-gloss.
Thanks First owner. I bought this stuff must be two years ago for the frame........Ha!. The only question is, am I using it by early Oct. or in May. http://masterseriesct.com/page4.html

Edit: I like the idea having a semi-gloss core support, so I'll run with it. Just me or does thinner gauge steel appear to have more sheen? I say that because the inner fenders are only about 9-10 lbs. each. I've read at least one post a guy thought it might be semi-gloss. I think "glossier than commonly thought" was the point.

I figure to owe a picture of my beautiful core support. I even sprayed it down on occasion. I'll clean up this disaster tomorrow. Note: This is not the original paint. It's stuff you use 25 years ago during a January winter, highs maybe 45, lows who knows, but you can bet real cold. Held up pretty nicely all considered. Believe it or not, that was supposed to be gloss.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-16-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I figure to owe you a picture of my beautiful core support. I even sprayed it down on occasion. I'll clean up this disaster tomorrow. Note: This is not the original paint. It's stuff you use 25 years ago, when the temperature is 40, and 25 tops at night.

My original core support was (and still is) in excellent condition including the battery tray. However, I found one on the Phoenix Craigslist blasted and primed, ready for paint for $50. I figured that that was probably less than getting mine to that point. Here's a picture of the new one before paint. No idea what I'll do with the original.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
My original core support was (and still is) in excellent condition including the battery tray. However, I found one on the Phoenix Craigslist blasted and primed, ready for paint for $50. I figured that that was probably less than getting mine to that point. Here's a picture of the new one before paint. No idea what I'll do with the original.
Deal. Heck yeah, I'd use that too.

I suppose you could send your other to Nevada.

Pending cleaning, my core support is nice. Has a few weld spots.....That said, I think someone drilled out the hole seen in your picture, above the inside edge of your RH headlight. Though drilled cleanly, it's the same diameter as the A/C lines passage. I think this was done for the aux. transmission cooler lines, which incidentally, they bypassed the radiator for that cooler..........YIKES!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

After too many hours scrubbing this core support to see what I've got, I can't say I'm thrilled. Unless someone talks me out of it, I'm looking into a replacement. Wasn't planning for that one bit. Very unexpected. Sure glad the fenders took the battery acid well. Discovered two issues with the support:

1. I had hoped for less pitting. The battery acid jacked up the corner pretty good, though it's basically "surface pitting". After a blast, with some sanding and perhaps high build primer? it could look like new again.

2. In a prior post I wrote how the hole above the headlight was drilled cleanly. While I saw a ding up top that's an easy fix (done), now I understand why the ding. It wasn't a clean drill at all. If you can avoid the missing paint, you'll notice how they missed the existing hole. Sure, I suppose someone could weld up that hole, but both issues lean deal breaker.

Edit. Just me or is there a face behind that hole in the picture? Yikes!

Edit 2: Showed my wife the pic and we investigated. Unlike me she's observant. We came up empty.

Edit 3: May have to reconsider my position on the existing core support. Not much out there at the moment. There's an NOS for 1K. No thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-17-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #7
B. W.

Hey, I know you're going for an "over the top" resto, I'm with you, like them that way too. With that said, that core support is in very good condition IMO. the battery side on all of them takes a heavy hit over the years. Just to make you feel better:
Attached Images

B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
Jason Banks

I would gladly take your core support. Mine was much rustier... I would take some pictures but I'm too busy. I was going to patch mine up but didn't know how bad it was until I got it out. I ended up putting in an aftermarket. You will be every happy to do the work to make the factory one pretty again. The aftermarket are pretty good but not great.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Hey, I know you're going for an "over the top" resto, I'm with you, like them that way too. With that said, that core support is in very good condition IMO. the battery side on all of them takes a heavy hit over the years. Just to make you feel better:
I didn't realize this was so common. Yeah, my support is otherwise perfect. Even the NOS on Ebay has rust. Perhaps I was a little hard on my core support, and myself for all the acid. I still think what I wrote in the OP was a contributor.

I'm going to stick this support into the garbage can, honest to God. Then add white vinegar, and let her sit for a day or so. EDIT: nah, changed my mind. No reason to abuse what's good, the edge needs to be isolated. So going with plan B. The plan I haven't figured out yet.

Incidentally, that corner on my 72 looks great. Side post battery, coincidence?.....................If I had the energy, I might pull the radiator and such to see what's down there. After another view, no sign of rust, the core support looks awesome. Replaced who knows. But it has one flaw the one off my 71 doesn't, which is the entire support has ever so slight even pitting. Counting my blessings, because I may have had to pull the core support. Course there's still that battery box on the RH front corner. It's that or use a real nice replacement I picked up from Manes. I have my priorities, and the 72 aint it. . No slight to the 72, I like it a lot.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-19-2017 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
mattfranklin

My truck was pretty good except for the battery corner, too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
raggedjim

I wish mine was that good! If you don't use it then sell it, someone out there needs one that good.

Get some phosphoric acid and spray it down, it will stabilize the rust. Then wash it, dry it, prime it, and paint it. It will be fine.

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
I wish mine was that good! If you don't use it then sell it, someone out there needs one that good.

Get some phosphoric acid and spray it down, it will stabilize the rust. Then wash it, dry it, prime it, and paint it. It will be fine.

Rg
Thank you and the other posters as well. I've had good luck with cheap store bought white vinegar. The corner of that core is currently taking a bath in it.

I've never tried phosphoric acid, but here is a comparison to vinegar and others. Came out #1. Just remembered I have a bottle of Por-15 metal prep. It's phosphoric acid. I'll hit it with that after the vin. soak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JxBTpkgMzs
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 AM   #13
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'm real happy with the results. The captions "say it all"........... Or perhaps you me better than that......

This will be painted by my wife's nephew. Word on the street he's the area's best, and he wants to do the entire truck. That may work out well, only I bet I'm in another 4-5K. Seems the guy who agreed to do this is losing interest. He's had my bed a long while, and it's still not done. Real nice bed too. Stripped to boot. Win some lose some.

One way or another the truck will be painted and belted.......Today is ochre/white deluxe day. Tomorrow may be back to ochre/white not deluxe day.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
raggedjim

Looks great, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote