The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
hdff

Tilt column light for gear indicator

I have a 71 with a tilt column, don't know if it is stock to the truck. The light under the gear indicator on the column wasn't working so today I attempted to fix it. Well there wasn't a bulb in it, so off the the parts house to try to find ont that will work. Found one that fit the socket but was to long. But tried it to see it it would work, no luck... does anyone know what size bulb fits and where the power wire is. I would like to get it working, I'm anal about things like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
chiefcfd

Re: Tilt column light for gear indicator

The power wire should be grey and plug in the fuse panel. I think it plugs into "panel light" spade. I don't know the bulb number. It is part of the Turn signal switch.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #3
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcfd View Post
The power wire should be grey and plug in the fuse panel. I think it plugs into "panel light" spade. I don't know the bulb number. It is part of the Turn signal switch.
Not true for the tilt columns.

Tilts use #1445 bulbs along with the other 2 parts in the attached picture placed under the gear indicator as hdff stated in post 1.

The gray light wire plugs onto the "PNL LTS" spade on the fuse block as I recall. I can confirm that tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-27-2017 at 02:11 AM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #4
chiefcfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post

Tilts use #1445 bulbs along with the other 2 parts in the attached picture placed under the gear indicator as hdff stated in post 1.

The gray light wire plugs onto the "PNL LTS" spade on the fuse block as I recall. I can confirm that tomorrow.
I'm confused FirstOwner, other than the Bulb number that's exactly what I said. The bulb socket is part of the TSS.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
hdff

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, I'll go get a 1445 bulb today and look for the gray wire at the column . I have the silver domed piece but not the green piece, and I assume it is not sold aftermarket, does it go inside the silver domed piece? Does the gray wire go direct from the column to the fuse block or tie into the wire harness with the rest of the panel lights?

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
FirstOwner69

Quote:
I'm confused FirstOwner, other than the Bulb number that's exactly what I said. The bulb socket is part of the TSS.
Oops, sorry about that. For some reason when I read that last night it registered that you were saying it plugged into the cluster like the non-tilts do. It was very late, but I hadn't been drinking anything but water. Must be old age like these trucks! Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
Thanks, I'll go get a 1445 bulb today and look for the gray wire at the column . I have the silver domed piece but not the green piece, and I assume it is not sold aftermarket, does it go inside the silver domed piece? Does the gray wire go direct from the column to the fuse block or tie into the wire harness with the rest of the panel lights?
The green "filter" goes over the end of the dome. I don't think they are available. I have a 30 year old bottle from J.C Whitney of what was called green bulb dye if I recall correctly. It looks like green nail polish, but I don't know if nail polish would hold up to the bulb heat. That would provide the same green tint as the filter.
EDIT: I found this on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pebeo-Vitrea...QAAOSw6WdXie7o. It says it should be baked in an oven after application. I bet the heat of the bulb would bake it. Various shades of green are available. I searched for "green glass paint". It looks like Texas Art Supply stores in the Houston area may also sell this paint.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-27-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
hdff

Quote:
Oops, sorry about that. For some reason when I read that last night it registered that you were saying it plugged into the cluster like the non-tilts do. It was very late, but I hadn't been drinking anything but water. Must be old age like these trucks! Go figure.

The green "filter" goes over the end of the dome. I don't think they are available. I have a 30 year old bottle from J.C Whitney of what was called green bulb dye if I recall correctly. It looks like green nail polish, but I don't know if nail polish would hold up to the bulb heat. That would provide the same green tint as the filter.
EDIT: I found this on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pebeo-Vitrea...QAAOSw6WdXie7o. It says it should be baked in an oven after application. I bet the heat of the bulb would bake it. Various shades of green are available. I searched for "green glass paint". It looks like Texas Art Supply stores in the Houston area may also sell this paint.
looking on line I found a LED bulb with that base that comes in green, I may try that if I can find the wire coming out of the column and see if it is hot. I had a minute for a quick look today and there is a gray wire hooked up to the inst prong on the fuse block bit I didn't see where they came out of the column. i'll have to look when I have more time

Old 04-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

I looked at some of the green LED lights on eBay also and was thinking the single LED version may be a good choice. There were lots of 10 for under $7.00 or a single for just over $3.00. However, I don't know if they are dimmable or whether they need to be. It seems that bulb is on the circuit that dims with the cluster lights. If so, what would happen when the lights are dimmed?

The gray wire exits the column along with the turn signal wires but does not use the turn signal switch harness connector.

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-27-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
hdff

Quote:
I looked at some of the green LED lights on eBay also and was thinking the single LED version may be a good choice. There were lots of 10 for under $7.00 or a single for just over $3.00. However, I don't know if they are dimmable or whether they need to be. It seems that bulb is on the circuit that dims with the cluster lights. If so, what would happen when the lights are dimmed?

The gray wire exits the column along with the turn signal wires but does not use the turn signal switch harness connector.
here is the one I was looking at, says it's dimmable. I first have to get the socket hot.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications

Old 04-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
FirstOwner69

Quote:
here is the one I was looking at, says it's dimmable. I first have to get the socket hot.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications
I wonder if those are too tall to fit under the metal dome. This is what I saw on eBay. Doesn't say dimmable, but they are hyping them for cluster bulbs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-1-5050-S...ZVu2ZQ&vxp=mtr

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-27-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
hdff

Quote:

Well I looked for a gray wire coming out with the column wire harness, didn't see one so I assume the PO might have cut it for some reason. Firstowner can you tell me what this black wire with a metal end is? It looks like it comes out of the tape that is around the column wire harness.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
70shortfleet

The black wire is a fiber optic line for a non tilt automatic column, Don't know why it would be there if you had a tilt column?
70shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #13
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70shortfleet View Post
The black wire is a fiber optic line for a non tilt automatic column, Don't know why it would be there if you had a tilt column?
hummm, it's a tilt wheel so I don't know why it's there and not a gray one for the light under the gear indication

Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #14
old51sedan

Quote:
Well I looked for a gray wire coming out with the column wire harness, didn't see one so I assume the PO might have cut it for some reason. Firstowner can you tell me what this black wire with a metal end is? It looks like it comes out of the tape that is around the column wire harness.
I just pulled the non tilt column out of my 69 to replace with a new repo tilt column. The wire you have in question is the same as the one on my original column. It is fiber optic and mine was attached to the dash light that is plugged in on the right hand side of the speedometer. I unplugged it as it was hooked to the original column and will plug the new column wire into the fuse panel.

Last edited by old51sedan; 05-03-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: correction
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #15
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I just pulled the non tilt column out of my 69 to replace with a new repo tilt column. The wire you have in question is the same as the one on my original column. It is fiber optic and mine was attached to the dash light that is plugged in on the right hand side of the speedometer. I unplugged it as it was hooked to the original column and will plug the new column wire into the fuse panel.
the weird thing is there is a bulb socket at the gear indicator at the top of the column and if it was fiber optics I don't think it would have a place for a bulb

Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #16
custom10nut

I have a tilt column also, but the light won't come on. How do you get to the hood and bulb? Do I have to take the wheel off? Or can I get to it by taking the gear indicator off?
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #17
hdff

take the gear indicator off to get to it. I have found out also the wire comes out on the column separately not with the wire harness, it is a gray wire. check and make sure it is there and hooked up

Old 05-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
custom10nut

Quote:
take the gear indicator off to get to it. I have found out also the wire comes out on the column separately not with the wire harness, it is a gray wire. check and make sure it is there and hooked up
Hey thanks. I know about the grey wire and have it hooked up.
Tonight I'll take the indicator loose.
As far as getting the green filter, I think you can get them at Pepboys.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
custom10nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Hey thanks. I know about the grey wire and have it hooked up.
Tonight I'll take the indicator loose.
As far as getting the green filter, I think you can get them at Pepboys.
I'm sure the green filters can be found in other places, but I picked up a palette today.