The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
LDO

My Windshield nightmare....

I purchased a windsheild, weatherstrip and chrome locking strip for my 85 c10. Got the glass tinted and installed the rear view mirror clip and everything turned out great.

Glass sat on my dining room table for about 3 months while I got the interior of the truck done; I wanted to install the dark glass at the end of my interior mods.

Got the glass installed myself along with chrome locking strip. When I tried to install the joint cover piece, I punctured a hole in the weather strip. That was a surprise since I felt I was being pretty careful and I’ve done the rear one piece glass with locking strip already and felt I had the technique down.

Decided to take truck to a well-known glass place about 3 miles from where I live.

When I arrived to pick up the truck, I noticed they had not installed the center joint clip. I asked them about it and they took the truck to the back to get it done.

I get the truck home and noticed that not only did they scratch and bend the hell out of the clip in the process of installing it, there was a large gap between the weatherstrip and the body of the truck. Also, the chrome strip was buggered up from applying too much pressure with that tool and there were two large scratches in the window tint!

I took the truck back and let them know I was far from happy at a cost of 170.00 for parts and labor.

I was told they’re not responsible for scratches to the tint.
I find it hard to understand since my novice self was able to install the windshield once – no scratches
It sat on my dining room table for 3 months – no scratches
What could they have been doing or how were they handling the windshield that the tint was scratched??

I take it to a shop and it gets scratched….

Owner comes out and I show him the handy work and ask him if he’s ok with the quality of the work leaving his shop?

He says he will re-do the windshield and give me 25 bux towards getting the tint re-done even though their policy is that they're not responsible for scratches in the tint. I think this is BS but I agree.

Took the truck over and today, they removed the windshield and the tint guy went over there and re-did the tint.
I get a call and they tell me that they don’t feel they’ll be able to do the job to my satisfaction so tomorrow, I should come by so they can refund me my 170.00 and take my truck home – WITHOUT A WINDSHIELD IN IT.

I am without words. I've never seen or heard about a business treating a customer like this. My gut tells me I should have just given it another crack at the install my self with a new weatherstrip but I guess tomorrow, I'll load the glass in the back of the wife's car and slowly drive my truck home.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
75C10

Re: My Windshield nightmare....

Sounds like you find your nearest tool store and purchase your own w/s lock strip install tool and do it yourself.
I am guessing the glass shop felt obliged or compelled by law to use urethane and this makes a mess of things and wasn't used by GM on these trucks.
It is a little tricky to install the chrome without minor scrapes on the "chrome" but I haven't noticed anything significantly visible after a few days. A small screw driver can be your friend.
75C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
rgunlock

The glass guy doing my 78 had a heck of a time getting the middle connecting piece of the locking strip in when doing mine. And I was watching so I know he worked hard at it. Couldn't get it to fit and said he'd have to come back when the weather was hotter so that the rubber would be more pliable. Before he could come back, a crack formed in the corner of the glass. Guy said he'd come out and swap in a new windshield, but said my problem was the new Steele Rubber gasket. Basically just too stiff. He ended up getting me a used gasket in good shape from the pick-n-pull before installing the 2nd new windshield. Locking strips and trim went in just fine and no cracks or damage to the glass.

Not to pick on Steele Rubber. By all accounts they have a great reputation (which is why I bought theirs), but my glass guy feels that no aftermarket gasket is going to work half as well as the original gasket.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

The glass place that did the windshield on my '78 last fall said the same thing, Rick. I was told that it would be better if the original weatherstrip was still in good shape because they hate using aftermarket, lots of trouble with them. Fortunately they were able to reuse the original.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
El Dorado Jim

on the 67-72 forum, everyone says to use" precision" brand windshield gaskets.they are the best repro's out there...supposedly.
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 PM   #6
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I removed my original 81 windshield and was tickled I got it out without breaking it..I was carrying it into the shop for storage and crrraaccck..it broke..dadgumit..so when I got ready for a new one I called a glass company to put one in and boy am I glad I did..the "professionals" broke a total of 5 windshields before they got one in..I sure was glad they were the ones doing the buying..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 AM   #7
Bears63
...just another truck junkie..

Wow... 5? Yeah, the quotes are well placed, mongocanfly!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #8
chrismoore701

I went to install my windshield on a fresh frame off restoration and after cleaning the years of dust and over spray off I noticed wiper scratches. Tossed it. Called a friend that installs windshields and got a new one for $100. Brought it home and a buddy and me installed it with precision weather stripping. First time for both of us and only problem we had was the messy glue. Very happy with the results
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
CSHADES

I one thing I figured out with installing the chrome trim connector piece in my 77 plow truck was to use a piece of coat hanger bent correctly with vise grips for a handle. Use the wire to work the trim piece in and go past the trim connector piece about 2 inches then carefully bend the wire to get it out without scratching any thing. Then just use a small screwdriver to work the strip back down into the rubber. This worked better for me than the tool and trying to get the connector in after the rest of the strip was in.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
aharper33

I have never heard of tinting a windshield before let alone tinting a window before it is installed. I see why you are upset especially since you took it to so called professionals to have it done.
aharper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 AM   #11
Precision Parts
Tech Help

This whole thread sounds like a nightmare!! I'll throw in my 2 cents to the conversation.

The original GM weatherstrip didn't use any glue when it was installed, however today's Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standard (AGRSS) requires installers to use urethane between the glass and weatherstrip to make sure the glass isn't ejected in a head on collision.

There's many good glass installers out there but there's also some that simply don't have the experience on these older trucks. Make sure you ask around and find one that has experience when it comes to installs on classic trucks.

The corner clips on the rear and the center clip on the front are truly a pain to install. I would not recommend using a screwdriver due to the possibility of scatching the chrome or (and) piercing the rubber, instead use a ball hook tool, PRP 0004. PRP 0002 should be used to install the lockstrip. Images below.

Saving the glass is actually a fairly simply job. We have a removal/install video - https://youtu.be/ufZW2CnhOS0 2:50 will show this technique.

https://youtu.be/LsSB4Kad4qA - This video shows how we add the urethane and do clean up. 15:10

I try to get on this forum from time to time. If you have any other questions, post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

- Derek
Attached Images

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #12
LDO

Precision weatherstrip was used. The shop did not use any sealant during the process.

Today, i get to pick up my truck and drive it home without a windshield for 3 miles.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Precision weatherstrip was used. The shop did not use any sealant during the process.

Today, i get to pick up my truck and drive it home without a windshield for 3 miles.
That's a pain, sorry! So are you going to redo the job yourself?

- Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
LDO

I believe I will take another crack at it myself and be in charge of my own destiny. I typically do everything myself that i can, this time, i gambled and lost.

Debating whether to install a weatherstrip with the locking strip or use one that doesn't require it.

Also looking and the possibility of using a used weatherstrip. I've heard they are more forgiving. Not sure where I'd find one but I have time to look.

Needless to say, I am just going in to pick up my truck, load my windshield in the wife's car and walk out and avoid saying anything else to the shop. I figure karma will eventually work things out.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
I believe I will take another crack at it myself and be in charge of my own destiny. I typically do everything myself that i can, this time, i gambled and lost.

Debating whether to install a weatherstrip with the locking strip or use one that doesn't require it.

Also looking and the possibility of using a used weatherstrip. I've heard they are more forgiving. Not sure where I'd find one but I have time to look.

Needless to say, I am just going in to pick up my truck, load my windshield in the wife's car and walk out and avoid saying anything else to the shop. I figure karma will eventually work things out.
I personally would say stick with the chrome. You have it on the rear and it would help tie in with the chrome drip rail. Just my 2 cents.

If you don't have the ball hook tool, please consider getting one. You just don't want to tear the rubber or scratch the chrome. Also, foaming glass cleaner works a treat in lubing all that up. You can use soapy water, but using the spray gives you good control where you need it. Plus you want to clean the glass anyway

As far as the used gasket goes, I'd be surprised if you found a soft one that hasn't cooked out there in the Mississippi sun but you never know.

BTW, the truck looks awesome. I'd love to post it on our Instagram feed!

- Derek

Updates
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Old 04-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
LDO

I will be contacting you regarding a new weatherstrip and locking strip and the ball tool.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
Breeze454

I have 12 visits to my glass shop, over about an 8 month period, with them trying to chase leaks, and going through 2 new gaskets. They were happy to do it, no charge, but what a pain in the ass.
Breeze454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
LDO

Honestly, I don't know how these guys stay in business the way they've treated me and my truck.

I will post pictures of what they thought was a good job later. Now I gotta try to beat the rain that's coming as I drive a front convertible modified truck.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #19
Breeze454

Just be sure to keep your mouth shut...
Breeze454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #20
LDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze454 View Post
No worries there. I'm too disciplined for any of that besides, I have to set a good example for my son. No sense in going off on the girl behind the counter. I didn't even comment on the fact that apparently, their shop cat left paw prints all over my truck and new dash; that stuff wipes off.

I walked in, got my keys, loaded up my windshield. They assured me that a check for the full amount will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow morning and I departed the area most directly. Got back to the house and parked the truck in the garage just before the rain came down.

Posting here has been quite therapeutic in dealing with my frustrations and I appreciate all who lent an ear.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
Matt Man

when I had the rust fixed under my windshield the body shop that fixed it had a glass guy with "30 years of experience" install my windshield, 4 gaskets later he finally got it "good enough" about a month later it lifted off the upper right hand corner. I did not take it back because I don't want that guy near my truck again. My truck is currently getting painted so I hope the glass guy can get the gasket in with no problems.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #22
RDrancher

Quote:
I didn't miss that one.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 AM   #23
Kaysen

LDO- You can do it yourself, and will be glad that its done to your satisfaction in the end. Just take it one planned out step at a time and remember to breathe between steps. Windshields can be a pain, but are totally doable with the right planning and a good set of extra hands.Good luck man!
Kaysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #24
LT7A

This is all very helpful information. My C15 will need a replacement windshield and I had not been concerned about having a shop do it until reading this.

Re this comment:
Quote:
I thought he meant while driving home in the rain. Haha
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #25
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I thought he meant to keep bugs outta his teeth..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote