The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #1
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Bad Ground....but, where?

I have a common problem I believe but didn't have time to fully investigate it last night. Hoping you guys can save me a lot of time.

American Auto Wire harness on a 71 C10. Everything is new in the way of lights and wires. Turn signals work without headlights on as they should. When I turn on headlights the side markers will still flash but the bumper lights will not. It appears to be a ground issue just not sure where.

One thing I did find is that I can twist the wires on the backside of the parking lights and if I get them in just the right position the turn signal works. Could both of the lights be bad (LMC specials)?

I did take one of the lights off the bumper and the low side continued to flash and the high side went dead when it lost its ground to the bumper.

Looking for ideas on where to begin to find the issue. Thanks in advance.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
68 P.O.S.

Re: Bad Ground....but, where?

To get you started, here's a thread that shows all of the stock ground locations: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=422234
Old 03-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
To get you started, here's a thread that shows all of the stock ground locations: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=422234
Thanks 68. I have all of my ground straps in place.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Davidf

I have the same problem with one of my bumper marker/turn signal lights. It appears that the contact between the bulb and socket terminals/ground is wonky. I ordered a new one to see if it helps. Twisting the wires moves the contact pad relative to the bulb and makes it work....not a ground issue.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #5
sick472

IIRC there should be grounds on the engine side of the core support, very close to the headlight buckets, one on each side of the truck. The ground fittings comes out of my original wiring harness and merely bolts to the core support.

Again, IIRC, my side markers would not flash IF the parking lights were not hooked up to the wiring harness AND grounded at the bumper.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:39 AM   #6
sick472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
I have the same problem with one of my bumper marker/turn signal lights. It appears that the contact between the bulb and socket terminals/ground is wonky. I ordered a new one to see if it helps. Twisting the wires moves the contact pad relative to the bulb and makes it work....not a ground issue.
That sounds more like your problem, now that I understand what you meant by twisting the wires together.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Sheepdip

Get you a long jumper wire that will reach from the neg post on your battery to anywhere on the truck with alligator clips both ends then you can test each problem area to see if it is in fact a ground.
If no place to hook the clip I push a small safety pin thru the ground wire and hook the clip to that.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I think you are right and it is the light itself. Seems like the bulb socket is not grounding to the light housing. I will run a ground from the battery to the back of the light socket and see if that gives me what I'm after.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
Davidf

Also, to test, remove the lens and wiggle the bulb/lamp. If all starts to work properly, then again it is not a ground issue but more a socket or bulb compatibility issue. Try a different bulb/brand. Try a bulb with a copper base in lieu of nickel (colored?).

I can pull my turn signal assembly connect it to a power supply and it behaves the same way. So, it cannot be a ground issue.

Incidentally, the side marker on the side that is giving me trouble does not flash.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #10
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Messed with it some over my lunch hour and discovered that the low filament is flashing with the lights on. You just can't see it over the high filament burning. If I move the wires just right on the back of the light housing I can get them to work. When I let go they stop. It is something in the socket. I'll try a different bulb and see.

Old 03-17-2021, 03:03 PM   #11
Davidf

Yep, that is how mine is behaving. As a temporary fix, I can position the bulb so it is almost about to let go of the retaining nubs and it stays working. So, it is not the wires, it is the socket. When you wiggle the wires, you are moving the contact plate in the socket.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Did you purchase yours at LMC as well? Wondering if there is a fix short of ordering new ones from another vendor.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #13
Davidf

I did as LMC was the only vendor that had it in stock. The part is due at my door this Friday, so I will test over weekend and report back. I am also going to try a copper based lamp.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:41 PM   #14
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Found it!! Flipped the wires where they connect at the firewall and they worked. The LMC lights are opposite of what the AAW kit shows in the brown and blue wires.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
Davidf

Uhm, wait. So your problem was with the LMC replacement and not the original assembly? If so, dang, sorry. Good to know about the LMC assembly hitting my doorstep tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #16
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Yes. Discovered that the blue wire on the LMC part goes to brown on the AAW harness and not blue to blue. Flipped the wires on both sides and they work as expected.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:39 PM   #17
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Get you a long jumper wire that will reach from the neg post on your battery to anywhere on the truck with alligator clips both ends then you can test each problem area to see if it is in fact a ground.
If no place to hook the clip I push a small safety pin thru the ground wire and hook the clip to that.
best advise right there.
RRM
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:18 AM   #18
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I agree with this.
I would also add, If one ground is bad, others are probably bad or weak.
I recommend systematically removing, cleaning and reinstalling all the grounds on the truck. Bonus points if you replace all the star washers and apply a dab of di-electric grease. Don't be afraid to replace wires or even add extra grounds (the more the merrier).
I have fixed all kinds of electrical gremlins, simply by redoing all the grounds.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:04 PM   #19
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
Yes. Discovered that the blue wire on the LMC part goes to brown on the AAW harness and not blue to blue. Flipped the wires on both sides and they work as expected.
I can confirm that the LMC 71/72 front left turn signal is wired backwards. Probably the right is the same. I had to cut wires and swap before splicing back together. After doing so the assembly worked properly. Otherwise, the assembly is a nice reproduction.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #20
BigBird05

Dielectric grease is an electrical insulator, not a conductor.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:10 AM   #21
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
Dielectric grease is an electrical insulator, not a conductor.
Yes, it is insulator. It insulates the connection from moisture and corrosion.
If the connection is solid, the grease gets pushed out of the contact points, especially when you are using a star washer.
It is not completely necessary but it helps to prevent corrosion, that's why I use it for grounds that are exposed to the elements.
I've been doing it for years, it works great. Opinions vary, I guess.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #22
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
If the connection is solid, the grease gets pushed out of the contact points, especially when you are using a star washer.
It is not completely necessary but it helps to prevent corrosion, that's why I use it for grounds that are exposed to the elements.
I agree. I has to be non-conductive or it could short out electrical connectors.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #23
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Quote:
I can confirm that the LMC 71/72 front left turn signal is wired backwards. Probably the right is the same. I had to cut wires and swap before splicing back together. After doing so the assembly worked properly. Otherwise, the assembly is a nice reproduction.
Glad you found the same thing and we have them working.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #24
MySons68C20

Thumbs up Re: Bad Ground....but, where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasey Harley View Post
Love that dielectric grease!
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote