The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #26
Spackle100

Re: 54 chevy boards on the floor build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Looking good. I would not put the vent windows back in, you have to get glass cut anyway, may as well go full size.
x3
Spackle100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #27
mlc216

Between the snow and wind chill I haven't gotten much done... I did spend a little while wire brushing the grill a little while ago. I wanted to clean it up so it would stand out from the rest of the crusty truck.

I found a lot of dents under buckets of bondo.
Posted via Mobile Device
mlc216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #28
mlc216

Got a package today!

Something tells me they'll look better on an actual 15" wheel with new Whitewalls haha
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
mlc216

Got a great deal on these and all I did to the one on the right was a little spit and rub with a rag and it's looking pretty dang good now
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2011, 06:22 PM   #30
mlc216

Had a few cans of black spray paint laying around so I decided to make it all one color after covering up the bare metal spots. Applied a generous amount of white spray paint to the tires, and mocked up the caddy caps... took a few steps back and found some more inspiration to go forward!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #31
99 to Life

hey, I am rust n' chrome 99 over at the hamb. Didn't know you had your build on here. Much rather be over here commenting on these trucks.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #32
mlc216

Hey man. Yeah I try to keep it updated a few places so I can ask questions and hopefully help others too.

Got my radiator support fabbed up and installed... It was easier than I expected. I'm once again pumped and ready to build some more!!!

I'm back!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #33
rickerwill

I'll bet it has been mighty cold in your 'hood, but any new progress to report? Ready to start on mechanical upgrades?
rickerwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
mlc216

In my never ending search to practice fabbing things and save money at the same time I decided to use the GM tilt steering column that came with the s10 frame and my 54 pickup body. Well I know how you guys feel about tilt columns and it was just down right hideous to begin with. So, I decided to fab my own steering column using the gm column and a few metal pieces I had laying around. Here's what I started with:

And here is an article to help get it apart:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020.html

Using that info I was able to get the shaft out and here's what I'm working with:

On the left is a scrap piece of 1" DOM tubing, in the middle is the steering column shaft that I've already cut into a few pieces, and on the right is actually a galvanized chain link fence post. I think the sticker said 1-5/8" but it may be like 2". I'll have to check on that later and get back.*

So I cut the top of the shaft into a few pieces so I could flip the bearing race around.*
Original order

New order

Then I slid the DOM tubing over the shaft hammered it flat on the sides and welded it all the way around.*

Then I flipped the next piece around and slid it into the DOM

Then I welded the splined end back on.*

Overall for my application I think i ended up lengthening the shaft 3-4"
I used a bearing race from the original column that magically fit and I dimpled the tubing under the race so it wouldn't slide down.*

Last but not least I sleeved the lower part of the original column over the new tube because it holds a bushing and gives me a flange to mount to the firewall. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the bottom side with the original bushing and clip attached

And here it is mocked up*

Once I get a suitable steering wheel, I'll build a trim piece around the top of the column. And once I build floorboards and the lower half of the firewall I'll finish the flange and bolt it in. Tomorrow I'm going to build a hanger for the column under the dash.*

Hope this can help someone! It cost me nothing and it looks a ton better than the tilt column!*