The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2015, 01:12 AM   #26
Hevy

Re: Opinions on Transmission Fluid Changes

If the fluid smells burnt or if there are specks of metal you need more than a flush.
Hevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #27
Blessed66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
My transmission guy said the fluid type doesn't really matter, the main difference he said was some fluids grip differently. He always ran Ford fluid in his GMs to make them shift harder. The GM fluid allows some slippage for smoother shifts.
No offense or flame intended, but your transmission guy obviously never owned a D*dge ATF+3/+4 or F*rd Mercon-V/-SP vehicle in his life.

Go ahead and pour Dex3 in a Dodge. Call me in a few months, let me know how the rebuild was.

But, on topic, I agree that on "clean" transmissions, you are either hastening or prolonging the inevitable (depending on your methods) by changing the filter/fluid. A running habit I've always used at dealerships in the past is... depending on a number of conditions... we don't do trans services on pre-owned inventory. Not sayin it couldn't be done, but the average trans R&R is something in the range of $2-3k depending on, again, a number of conditions.

Just too much risk to be liable for in that business. Again, not saying you can't or shouldn't, but we wouldn't.
Blessed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #28
richards72chevy

I bought my 02 Silverado from a little car lot.The guy who owned it drove a jacked up 05 Silverado as his tow pig.It had 337,000 miles on it.I asked him about the transmission in his truck he said he bought the truck with 150k on it and never changed the fluid just checked it every so often and he said he never had no problems with it.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote