The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2015, 02:55 AM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Anyone here run drag week?

As the title says, anyone take the week-from-hell? Looking for advice from someone who's run it in past years.

My trucks not ready for it, so we're planning on taking our T/A out to run Street Eliminator. The car is being built for low 9's but we'll probably run without the bottle and try to keep consistent 10.10-10.30

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
slowtruck

Re: Anyone here run drag week?

A buddy and I fallow it online every year and have wanted to do Drag Week bad, but we never have anything to take. Sorry I'm no help, but could you post up a little info on your T/A?
slowtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Its an M6 01 Ws6, milled/heavily worked 5.3 castings (if you look at the TSP stage 2-3 heads, its setup based on that), longtubes, Fast92. Kasper spec'd cam which we get ground locally. Makes around 580hp on motor, and has a 2-stage 250 plate. Runs 10's straight, should be 9's if we can keep tires and a rear end under it when the plate hits.

Biggest problems with it currently are the neglect of the suspension and rear end up to this point. We managed the 10's through a 10bolt which hates the driver, and pretty much gave up the ghost at road-course day last season. The push for drag week will be mostly related to getting a Fab9 and new suspension out back, getting the front to unload itself, and getting a cage in it so we don't get tossed.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
slowtruck

Sounds like a cool car, I had a 97 T/A and went 6.79 in the 1/8th on a 383, th400 and 200 shot. Car still had a/c and the factory 10 bolt, but it wasn't 2 weeks later the poor rear said I give up and I had to trailer it home.

One of these days I'm going to find the 00-02 black on black auto ws6 car I've always wanted!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Its a pretty fun little ride. It gets project-schizophrenia tho, as the "purpose" of it has changed a few times. Road car turned track car turned road going drag car turned....etc etc etc

Was the 383 done on an LT1 base, or an SBC?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
HemiChallenger71

Drag week is on my bucket list.
I think the problem now is actually being able to get in. I think registration gets filled up within minutes of them opening it.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #7
slowtruck

It was still a LT1.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiChallenger71 View Post
Drag week is on my bucket list.
I think the problem now is actually being able to get in. I think registration gets filled up within minutes of them opening it.
Agreed, depending where you're looking to run and if your willing to waitlist. We're at the mercy of the company willing to pay our entry. They have pull, so the hope is we'll be granted a spot. For all we know, they'll flake. The cars getting built either way. If we aren't granted entry to that, it'll most likely run the LSx shootout.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 AM   #9
HemiChallenger71

Lots of money and all the tools and extra parts you can think of or fit is a start.
HemiChallenger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #10
Kyle@FTP

I may have bit off more than I can chew but I would like to take a shot at 2015 drag week in a c10. Engine is sitting on the floor and cab goes on the jig table april 1. Its going to be tough. Worse case we take another car thats done already. I have a lot of baja racing and endurance racing experience so Im hoping that will help. I cant wait, its going to be great.
Kyle@FTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I'd prefer to take the truck as you gain the advantage of the bed space as well as trailer space. With the T/A, we don't have much internal room with the cage.

The only advantage it offers is the amount of stock stuff its retained, so emergency parts are reasonable to find anywhere. Towing a 12x9 trailer or whatever will be interesting.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
urmyboyblue

I ran DW in 2013- it was more fun that I had imagined. I did it in my 1965 C10 running the daily driver class. I had a relatively fresh engine that I had not tuned and was not spraying. I took a lot of tools and some parts but only had a couple of small problems. I tried to do it again last year but had metal in the oil at the last minute and had to drop out.

Be ready when registration opens up! I am still on the fence on trying it this year- I am waiting to see where it will be.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Kyle@FTP

Ive been brain farting on registration dates. Doesnt it usually open in early April and sell out 8min later?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Reg opens in April, usually gets filled within an hour (including waitlist). I'd expect 400+ entries this year.

I woke up to a text saying we have two more sponsors interested, so lets hope we can convince em to cough up cash.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Kyle@FTP

Im a little bummed. Reading the rules for 2015 and with the build we have planned it only fits the modified class where I will probably get out horsepowered. Oh well. It will be a great experience non the less.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP View Post
Im a little bummed. Reading the rules for 2015 and with the build we have planned it only fits the modified class where I will probably get out horsepowered. Oh well. It will be a great experience non the less.
Mind sharing what you were considering? Daily driver can't be too wide open, aren't the Minimum times like 10.80?

I would LOVE to compete in Heavy Iron but I have a feeling that is gonna be THE class to watch this year from a sheer insanity standpoint.

The T/A could probably run daily driver since we are taking all the Nitrous off, but I'm unclear about the "must register in lowest class your qualified" part of the rules. I assume we'll just do Street Eliminator because we're still stock frame-suspension style, and it should be able to do the ultra low 10's that Street Eliminator will require.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #17
Kyle@FTP

I have a 468 sitting on the floor that made 752 on motor and good for 300+ worth of the squeeze. and I think I can get 800 out of it with a few changes on motor We are planning of cramming that and a T400 into a big back window short bed. shooting for under 3000lbs

A good friend builds drag cars for a living so he want to back half the truck with his kit. Running a 315 drag radial which I may have to change to meet class rules of no wider than 11.5 inches tread width. We have a few other cool things that we are trying to line up right now.

Soon as my shop is empty the beginning of april the cab will go on the table and we will be hustlin to get it done.

Should go out and run low 9s and be very streetable. Should being the key word.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
urmyboyblue

These days, low nines won't get you a top three in modified or pro street- both take high 7's to low 8's to be competitive. Street Machine eliminator (previously known as daily driver) with its 10.00 sec min. ought to be a lot of fun this year.

Not a comment on you personally, but if you (anyone really) are waiting till April to start a build, you are either very sadistic or just plain unrealistic. EVERYTHING takes longer than you want and don't forget testing and replacing the stuff that doesn't work for you. If you choose to do it, good luck! Oh- and don't forget that there is a 200-300 mile drive everyday so make sure your vehicle can make that. The drive kills as many cars in not more than the track does.

Regardless what you run and in what class, the event is super fun and everyone is really nice.
urmyboyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 AM   #19
Kyle@FTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmyboyblue View Post
These days, low nines won't get you a top three in modified or pro street- both take high 7's to low 8's to be competitive. Street Machine eliminator (previously known as daily driver) with its 10.00 sec min. ought to be a lot of fun this year.

Not a comment on you personally, but if you (anyone really) are waiting till April to start a build, you are either very sadistic or just plain unrealistic. EVERYTHING takes longer than you want and don't forget testing and replacing the stuff that doesn't work for you. If you choose to do it, good luck! Oh- and don't forget that there is a 200-300 mile drive everyday so make sure your vehicle can make that. The drive kills as many cars in not more than the track does.

Regardless what you run and in what class, the event is super fun and everyone is really nice.
Its a tall order, no denying that. luckily we have a back up plan in the form of a 62 chevy II thats done. and the C10 goes in 2016. But im going to try like hell to make 2015.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #20
Kyle@FTP

Get the DW talk back up and running. I picked the cab up yesterday. Im practically ready.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #21
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Sorta related to the topic, we're having 4" frontrunners made from Tq Thrust II's. We've run the full size rim since inception, since they don't sell a real frontrunner in that pattern. We'll probably be running a 17" frontrunner and a 15" rear, which I love but get hated on for.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #22
Kyle@FTP

Keep doing it! I love different and ill bet it catches on. Ive seen a few west cars do it too. Im torn on it.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #23
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Ya I actually picked up on the style from some drag-vette guys who were running the 17" up front with that 15" out back because of overall width/size limitations.

Finding drag tires in 15" alone is worth the cost of doing it. It really limits rear brake options tho.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #24
69trk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Ya I actually picked up on the style from some drag-vette guys who were running the 17" up front with that 15" out back because of overall width/size limitations.

Finding drag tires in 15" alone is worth the cost of doing it. It really limits rear brake options tho.
I think it would look cool as heck... would like to see it... think i want to do the same thing with some 17"s up front and some big meats on the rear all tucked....

431 big block times, changed to a 6.0 ls with turbo
1.58- 60'
7.18- 1/8th mile@95.18
11.37- 1/4 @115.81
69trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #25
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Not my car, but has the style.