The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #1
Pontiacgurudan

Lt1 swap!

I blew my radiator in my 63 over Memorial day weekend, badly overheating my engine in the process. I had a tbi motor with the 4l60e from a 95 Silverado in it. I'm not sure if it blew a head gasket or cracked a head, or both. Needless to say it was no bueno. I started looking around for another tbi motor when a friend offered me a low mileage lt1 from an f-body. It already had the gmpp 4-barrel manifold that runs a regular distributor. Who doesn't want an extra 100 horsepower? I sourced a corvette accessory drive, that kept grinding on the frame to just a one inch wide, quarter inch deep area to clear one if the idler pulleys. Picked up a remote power steering reservoir for a Subaru from O'Reilly's for $18, ordered the tbi adapter to run my tbi on the 4-barrel manifold. It really wasn't very hard at all to do the swap, the accessory drive being the only parts that are really different from a standard sbc. The Wi-Fi is down due to some storms so I won't be able to load pics until tomorrow, but I have plenty so I'll get them posted.
Pontiacgurudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Macdaddy1

Re: Lt1 swap!

Way cool. I want to see, I want to see!!!!!!!!!!!!
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
nimrod

Welcome to the club!
I put a '95 Corvette LT1 in my '66 a few years back. Been very happy with the outcome!
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #4
Pontiacgurudan

I have it up and running. Due to a phone mishap I lost all the pics I took while putting it in. I'll get some fresh pics today. It needs a better fuel pump which I plan to do today. It has more power at 1/2 throttle than the old tbi motor had. I'm having a chip burned for the ecm so I can get the most out of the tbi setup I'm running. I may even take the 4l60e out and replace it with a cable operated 700r4 and run a 4-barrel on it. The motor has the gmpp spreadbore manifold on it. The tbi will never be quite enough for the rpm this motor will spin. I happened upon a set of lt4 heads so things might get interesting
Attached Images

Pontiacgurudan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #5
sixty4bigwindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacgurudan View Post
I have it up and running. Due to a phone mishap I lost all the pics I took while putting it in. I'll get some fresh pics today. It needs a better fuel pump which I plan to do today. It has more power at 1/2 throttle than the old tbi motor had. I'm having a chip burned for the ecm so I can get the most out of the tbi setup I'm running. I may even take the 4l60e out and replace it with a cable operated 700r4 and run a 4-barrel on it. The motor has the gmpp spreadbore manifold on it. The tbi will never be quite enough for the rpm this motor will spin. I happened upon a set of lt4 heads so things might get interesting
I am intrigued! Keep us updated, and some video's of it driving would be stellar

My build thread for "Rocket" - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753023
sixty4bigwindow is offline   Reply With Quote