The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Longhorn

Rearend swithch questions

Will a 2 wheel drive posi rear end from a 72 C 20 drop in place of my standard on my 69 C20? Does anyone know what one of these weighs? I found one for $200 -- good deal?? What to look out for? Thanking in advance for input.

Longhorn

Rapid City, SD

67 short stepside, in weeds 6Cyl
69 Longhorn CST 396 nice original

Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
69 longhorn

Re: Rearend swithch questions

Your longhorn is leaf spring.....is the donor leaf or coil?
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 longhorn View Post
Your longhorn is leaf spring.....is the donor leaf or coil?
Donor, I don't know yet. Mine is leaf. Were some 3/4 ton coil?

bill

Rapid City, SD

Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
71swb4x4

I think there were some 3/4 ton coil, but don't quote me on that.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
69 longhorn

coil was standard on a chevy, with leaf being an option(longhorn,leaf only). On the GMC, leaf was standard, with coil being the option. crazyAL
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Longhorn

Thanks for the info. Just one more question to ask seller. Anyone had experience with this switch? Anyone gone to one piece drive shaft?

Rapid City, SD

Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
prostreetC-10
My Carbon Footprint

LOL....all we need now is longhornman and a few other longhorn IDs to jump in.
prostreetC-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

As long as both rear ends are for the same type suspension it will bolt it. Although with a torch and a welder most anything will work. Why would you want to go to a one piece driveshaft? I don't think it is feasable on a Longhorn anyway due to the length. A 2 piece driveshaft is much stronger than a very long single piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Thanks for the info. Just one more question to ask seller. Anyone had experience with this switch? Anyone gone to one piece drive shaft?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
As long as both rear ends are for the same type suspension it will bolt it. Although with a torch and a welder most anything will work. Why would you want to go to a one piece driveshaft? I don't think it is feasable on a Longhorn anyway due to the length. A 2 piece driveshaft is much stronger than a very long single piece.
Thats a big x2....the shaft on that old longhorn is too long to try to 1 pc it Most of the 3/4 ton trucks ran a corporate rear(big round "salid bowl" cover , with 10 bolts)& a drop out carrier, but there was also a Dana 60 , found in the big block trucks. I agree...leaf to leaf, it bolt in, otherwise crank up the welder. If you are into welding & fab work, you might look into a later (73-up )14 bolt& set your saddles & shock mounts with the old Lincoln. you may find that they are a little cheaper, & also you can get into a 3.42 or 3.73 gear. The only choices on the corporate rear were 4.10 or 4.57 on the 3/4 ton. crazy Longhorn

Last edited by 69 longhorn; 10-27-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling
69 longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

assuming your longhorn was an original big block truck, then it should most likely have a dana rear, with 3.54 gearing. The 'typical' 67 - 72 3/4 ton rear end would be an eaton (as the other longhorn guy described) that only came with 4.10 or 4.57 gears. (the odd truck had 5.13, but too uncommon to conseder in reality) That 'typical' rear end would be a coil spring piece too.
If it is a leaf spring rear, and you are actually wanting the higher reving gears, and a rear with hard to find brake parts, then you'll need to look at the width of the spring perches on the new one, verses the springs on your truck, and then also the distance between the mounting pads also (as in from each other, not to the backing plate).
I personally had 2 67 - 72 dana 60 leaf spring rears, the pad width, and distance between the two pads were way off as compaired to each other. Then there was the measurments on my eaton (granted, it's a one ton) which didn't match either of the danas.
Another thing to remember is you will need driveshaft mods if swapping from one style to another.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
69 longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
assuming your longhorn was an original big block truck, then it should most likely have a dana rear, with 3.54 gearing. The 'typical' 67 - 72 3/4 ton rear end would be an eaton (as the other longhorn guy described) that only came with 4.10 or 4.57 gears. (the odd truck had 5.13, but too uncommon to conseder in reality) That 'typical' rear end would be a coil spring piece too.
If it is a leaf spring rear, and you are actually wanting the higher reving gears, and a rear with hard to find brake parts, then you'll need to look at the width of the spring perches on the new one, verses the springs on your truck, and then also the distance between the mounting pads also (as in from each other, not to the backing plate).
I personally had 2 67 - 72 dana 60 leaf spring rears, the pad width, and distance between the two pads were way off as compaired to each other. Then there was the measurments on my eaton (granted, it's a one ton) which didn't match either of the danas.
Another thing to remember is you will need driveshaft mods if swapping from one style to another.
Stretching my old memory there Andy Yea, I dont think anything is going to bolt right in that old truck , unless it out of another longhorn. If memory serves me the CtoC on the spring pads are 40" on the longhorn, cab & chassis, & possibly the 4x4's from the 67-72 yrs. any of the other leaf spring trucks from those yrs had a wider leaf spacing, due to the kickout on the frame rails(Im not sure what it was tho). The later rear will for sure be a weld in fit(move spring pads & shock mounts), & alter the shaft as you mentioned. crazyAl
Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
Longhorn

Thanks guys!! As usual it pay to ask advice. By the time I pay $200 and get it shipped home it might not be worth the chance. If it were where I could look at it I would have a chance. My Longhorn does have the factory 396. I might be better off with an aftermarket assembly in my housing------ any suggestion?

Bill

Rapid City, SD

Old 10-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #13
71swb4x4

Bill, why don't you start a new thread with the location of the rear and see if someone close can take a look at it for you? They could put their tape on it and see if it would work for you.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 View Post
Bill, why don't you start a new thread with the location of the rear and see if someone close can take a look at it for you? They could put their tape on it and see if it would work for you.
Good idea, I take back all those thing I have said about you eastriveriers!!

Bill

Rapid City, SD