The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 AM   #1
Android04

Re: Lowering and Towing with a Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Todd @ Lowboys has an under-bed boxed-notch set-up. Not sure if it's over-the-counter available or just for in-house installs. It's not much taller but anything that can help is better than just an un-boxed bolt-in c-notch. *I thought just boxing the inside rail on a typical bolt-in c-notch would make-up the difference but the math showed it really didn't add much to the rail strength. The strength is in the vertical/height.

On my '99, I'm using a bolt-in Belltech c-notch, notching the bed floor supports above the frame rail (they're ~2.25" tall), boxing the inside of the rail, & welding a section of 2x2x.250" wall square tube to the top of the notch. By doing this, my fame rail height will only be <1" different vs unmodified/stock height.

It was stressed to me by the engineer that those C-sections that are ~2" rail height 'weak spots' above the axle tubes combined w/towing loads & a leaf spring arrangement (anchor points 2' in front/behind those weak spots) are not a good idea & def not as safe as un-cut engineered rail.

The 3-4" drop will look good too. And those semi wheels.... I'll say 'yes' they're a nice addition but just not worth the $$ in the big picture to me. But, it's a personal thing. You can't go to an event & not come across a dozen big Squares or other dually's w/them on. Oooooo…. Wow. The guys not running 22's & still looking good? They're doing something right. I guess my perspective is the semi's/22" deal are like the old Boss 338's/current Billet Specialties Speedways. They were/are everywhere @ shows.

Now.... A custom 20/22 set-up on a dually? That would peek my interest.
Haha Scotti I get what you're saying and they are on just about every square body Dually I've seen. At the Nationals I seen 6 or 7 I belive. Thankfully I've never seen one locally so if I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on wheels I might. Just A LOT of coin.

I'd honestly never heard of Lowboy Motorsports, but I reached out to them about a notch, and apparently they do tons of dually stuff. So that's a great start! Thank you for all your knowledge and expertise.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Lowering and Towing with a Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android04 View Post
Haha Scotti I get what you're saying and they are on just about every square body Dually I've seen. At the Nationals I seen 6 or 7 I belive. Thankfully I've never seen one locally so if I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on wheels I might. Just A LOT of coin.

I'd honestly never heard of Lowboy Motorsports, but I reached out to them about a notch, and apparently they do tons of dually stuff. So that's a great start! Thank you for all your knowledge and expertise.
Yeppers.... Most popular question when someone walks up & asks who built it/did interior/etc on mine? "Are you 'gonna put semis on it? That would be so cool".

I did price out different options on big wheels & that was even more vs. the standard 22" set-ups. Again, I can't justify the investment. I can't run them on mine anyway because I have my rear bags mounted out-board of the frame rails where those big wheels/tires take up space. The bags would have to go inside or under the rails to fit them. I wanted the best stability & built accordingly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote