The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #26
NONHOG

Re: Another parts store funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilbilly View Post
That's women 'fer ya'
I recall a gal who use to work at our parts dept. who would get Soooooo mad
when guys would call and say "Can I speak to a man" which was pretty funny cause she was better than the other guys. In fact there is one gal at one of our local parts stores who is the only one we want to talk to !
Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #27
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
He actually called me a dumb ass then.
I told him I demand a 25% discount, when oi prove you and your stupid computer wrong in less than 2 min.
He agreed as I stepped out, grabbed my owner's manual and my registration. Pointed out my CM digits ont he VIN, then flipped the owner's manual open to the VIN page, and then told him again... I need a set of brake drums for my 69 c/1500, you can look it up as an inline, or a v8... it won't matter.
He looked, saw the same p/n for both listings, then was shocked to see he had 2 on hand....
and gave me the 25% discount.
If a parts store guy called me a dumb @$$ I'da gotten more than a 25% discount, you handled that very well!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
70rs/ss

There system is by make model engine drivetrain etc, etc they have to go through that whole bs line of questions to finally get to your part. If you have a part number they should have gone to the shelf and found the belt, but they don't deal with car guys much they deal with parts swappers and the computer leads them to the part. They make minimum wage, the same as the kid a Mc Donald's so I cut them a ton of slack especially since I wouldn't want to do thier job (well and get paid minimum wage!)
Old 03-14-2008, 10:15 PM   #29
redneckgirl

But the fact is, if you're looking for certain parts, you just plug anything in as engine, 2/4wd etc. because some parts, no matter what the computer says, it just doesn't matter. Personally I'd rather look it up in a book....hated when we converted to computer.......
Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #30
redneckgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
I recall a gal who use to work at our parts dept. who would get Soooooo mad
when guys would call and say "Can I speak to a man" which was pretty funny cause she was better than the other guys. In fact there is one gal at one of our local parts stores who is the only one we want to talk to !
That's where the distributor comment came from. I had a guy call and ask for someone in parts. I said this is parts, what can I help you with. He asked for a guy. I said, well, there are two of us here, and we're both female. What can I help you with. Then he asked "Do you know what a distributor is??" If I could have reached through the phone and decked the guy I would have.

When I worked for Firestone I had a guy come in wanting to talk to one of the men. I was the only service writer working, so I went out and got our tire guy who knew very little if it didn't have tread. The guy got so mad because every time he asked a question, Erik would look at me for the answer and just repeat whatever I said...

Last edited by redneckgirl; 03-14-2008 at 10:24 PM.
redneckgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #31
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

so thw question is jacki....
DO YOU know what a distributor is???
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #32
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

all of a sudden, feel afraid!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #33
redneckgirl

Quote:
so thw question is jacki....
DO YOU know what a distributor is???
Yep....it's what I'm gonna beat you to death with
Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #34
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like the Schmuck's we have not far from me. I know that I'll get someone competent whether the girl that won the swimsuit contest at the local car show helps me or the other guy that's always there. I went in the other day for a water neck gasket and he started to type in the info until I said small block Chevy, then he turned around and went right to it. He said, "That's old school stuff".
'01 Ranger (I've gotta long commute..)
If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

My build thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=276904
Blue'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #35
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

Oh man, you guys.. That reminds me. Don't go in and try to buy a vacuum advance for an HEI in one of our trucks! I finally had to make up a new truck's description...

Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #36
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

Our local Schucks is so bad I just use the online ordering when I need something. Go online pick my parts and then have them ready for me when I go to the store. Walk in hand them the paper and say I ordered these online, they walk back grab the parts that have already been pulled for me and I walk out, no more dumb exchanges with kids trying to give me the wrong parts.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #37
redneckgirl

That's a pretty good idea Augie
Old 03-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #38
70rs/ss

Isn't a distributor someone that distributes stuff (ie a parts store is a distributor of parts, right?!)
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #39
Blue'72
Skinned knuckles

No, it's what you are if you made a mistake by honoring someone or something. You dis-tribute someone or something that you had originally made a tribute to. You become a dis-tributor.. Duh...

Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #40
Chris4x4Gill2

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. About 2 miles from the house is a little parts store, the sign out front jsut says "Discount Auto Parts" The older guy that owns it really knows his stuff....he's an old hot rodder from back in the day. His son works in there as well and hes just about as good. Theses guys are lifesavers when I realize I need to replace something I didnt thin kabout during a swap.....or if aI lose a bolt. If he has to order something for me it is usually in by 3 the next day.

Great service, good knowledge and you cant beat their prices or Quality...thats hard to find nowadays.
Chris4x4Gill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 AM   #41
caminokid
Chevy nut

I have had arguments with Autozone over parts. I had a 83 Firebird that I had taken the 2.8 out of it and was putting a 350 in it. I didnt have a HEI distributor for it. I walked in and the same ol crap...whats the car...model color and so forth. I told the guy I wanted a vacuum advance distributor. Well he proceeded to tell me it wont working in my Firebird cause I have a computer. I told him computer was taken out and thrown in my driveway and I think I ran over it with my truck. He didnt know what to do. I told him look up a 77 Impala...305. He proceeded to tell me the same thing again. After 15 minutes of argueing with this moron....I finally said I DONT GIVE A F$%^ GIVE ME THE DAMN DISTRIBUTOR I ASKED FOR!!! He got the point and I was on my way.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #42
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
Yep....it's what I'm gonna beat you to death with
We need video tape of this happening!!!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #43
turbojunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris4x4Gill2 View Post
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. About 2 miles from the house is a little parts store, the sign out front jsut says "Discount Auto Parts" The older guy that owns it really knows his stuff....he's an old hot rodder from back in the day. His son works in there as well and hes just about as good. Theses guys are lifesavers when I realize I need to replace something I didnt thin kabout during a swap.....or if aI lose a bolt. If he has to order something for me it is usually in by 3 the next day.

Great service, good knowledge and you cant beat their prices or Quality...thats hard to find nowadays.
If it's the one in Hueytown, that place is great.
turbojunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #44
70rs/ss

Home of the Alabama Gang, I'd hope they'd have a good parts house with the likes of the Allisons coming from their and Red Farmer!! (NASCAR for those who don't know!)
Old 03-16-2008, 02:26 AM   #45
49studebaker

One thread stated that "maybe after these kids get some experience", That's one of the problems. For some people, a parts person was a career choice. Lots of kids just need a job and McDonalds isn't hiring. Nothing against them, at least they want to work rather than count on mom and dad, but they don't stick around to ever get experienced. I am impressed with the ones that do as I always thought it could be a cool job. But, with that said. Try going into the parts store needing parts for a 49 Studebaker. Talk about blank looks. There first question is "what's that".From big blocks, to small blocks in that truck, I've had some trying times. It's even part f--d underneath.
49studebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:05 AM   #46
chevyboy55

The other day I went to my local napa store & asked for 2 oil filters.She went through the whole make,model,year, drill.I told her & she comes back just as proud as punch with 2 filters. I told her those were not a small block chevy filter(they were tall & skinny.Late model?) I told her it should be short & fat(like me)
So we go thorough whole question drill again,she finds the right number.The computer says they have seven,the shelf says they have none,what do I do she asks? Well the other gal working sells me the NAPA master select filters & I'm outta there.I found out the master select filter is a NAPA silver filter that's just shrink wrapped instead of being in a box.They are supposed to be for commercial accounts only.I'd rather have one shrink wrapped than in a box anyway,best part is they were only $1.99 each!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #47
chevyboy55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'72 View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I like the Schmuck's we have not far from me. I know that I'll get someone competent whether the girl that won the swimsuit contest at the local car show helps me or the other guy that's always there. I went in the other day for a water neck gasket and he started to type in the info until I said small block Chevy, then he turned around and went right to it. He said, "That's old school stuff".
Shes a gear head,she actually knows cars & parts.If that is the west Kelso store give Louie the mgr. crap for his license plate.
I cant remember the exact wording but it says "say no to GM"
Old 03-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #48
bb1979

I got one too. Pulled out the 4 speed trans from the C30 and needed a new pilot bushing at 11:00am on a Saturday, raced to the parts store to get one before they closed at 12.

me - I need a pilot bushing to suit a 350 chev
clerk - make and model
me - 79 chev c30
clerk - sorry our computer only shows those with 292 6's
me - ok got any its the same
clerk - sorry could be a two week wait
me - ok how about a 327 in a 1969 holden
clerk - yeah we have those in stock
me - ok i'll take that then
clerk - but it won't fit
me - all chev engines from 1955 take the same part regardless of what they are in
clerk - but it won't fit

By this point I was getting a little p*****d
me - look mate I have been messing with these engines for 10 years now just please give me the part
clerk - ok but you will be back when it doesn't fit
me - no I won't

Paid for it left store installed it and its still there 3 years later

I guess its the same problem around the world lol

I can sympthise with you about the Studebaker, same store, need a set of head gaskets for a 454 chev, whats it in, a 1937 Dodge Roadster........dumb looks usually follow

Last edited by bb1979; 03-16-2008 at 05:58 PM.
bb1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM   #49
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
all of a sudden, feel afraid!
I just knew this one would get good...

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #50
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

OK, after reading all of that....I am the most stunned by:
Quote:
me - ok how about a 327 in a 1969 holden
clerk - yeah we have those in stock
I would have bet that most places wouldn't even know what a Holden was....

But that is not my only comment...imagine that.
First off, like others have said, many of these people are just working the job that they have....they are not gear-heads.
Second, the "old counterperson" is a dying breed. They will become extinct, there is no way around it. "Old-School" books are going away and computers will eventually be the only way. Things move so fast that they have-to... and autoparts stores sell so much more (accessory junk) than an old timey place ever though about. Also there are not as many people working on their own cars/trucks as there used to be, especially "hard parts, as opposed to oil/filters etc. Life has gotten faster and things have gotten much more complicated on vehicles too.
3rd, I see their point about people walking-in, knowing what they want, that are clueless. They look things up to be "sure"....doesn't mean that they are right either, but they have done their "due diligence"
4th, Stuff that is 40 yrs old is kinda "not-fair" now isn't it? What can you really expect?
5th, computers have a tendency to make everyone dependant upon them. Haven't you noticed that most cashiers can't "make change"....they give you the amount that the machine says. Many of them are pushing a button that is a picture of what you asked for....and they have to search for that!
6th, if the computer doesn't know.........they probably can't sell it to you anyway? How would they ring it up?
7th, Barcodes....double-edged sword, just like the computer itself, if it is working fine...great, good-to-go....if not, stand-by.
8th, goes with 4th....combining vehicles is really not fair to the computer, but the counter people really should learn to listen to the customer.
All-in-all it is a tough situation. The best you can do is find someone that does the bast that they can...and be loyal to them.
Years ago, when I was a mechanic at a 4x4 shop, we had a local NAPA store that was great. This was way before they started to "go retail" to get some of the market-share from the other guys. It was the "old-school" commercially oriented parts store. There were half a dozen counter guys and the all knew what they were doing.
There really some aspects of "the good old days" that really were good.....LOL

Oh, BTW...........I came here as a result of a "reported post". Please keep it civil and refrain from the name calling etc.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 03-16-2008 at 09:23 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote