The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

So many questions...are there any answers?

I purchased a LQ4 for my 71. I have the POL engine stands. I purchased adapter plates and found that they don't fit with the low mount a/c. No problem I thought. I'll buy different plates. No such luck. Can't find any that work with low ac mount. So, I think I'll move the ac up and buy brackets to do that. Then I find I have to buy a new compressor and several other small parts.

I had also planned to swap out the truck intake for an LS3 or LS6 intake. What do I need to purchase to do this? I thought it was just the intake, but I am learning it is either a idler pulley relocate and water pump spacer kit. Or, it's both those, plus a new water pump. Or, I could change out the alt ps brackets, but then my ps pump won't work and I would have to buy a Camaro style pump with reservoir tank.

I feel like I'm missing the obvious here. Surely, there are some kits or something to make this all come together much easier.

IF you have thoughts or suggestions please help. Thank you,
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: So many questions...are there any answers?

Use your stock v8 or i6 perches, Dirty Dingo sliders and you should be good!

The ls3 intake is something you can do down the road, get the truck up and running and then start collecting parts.

Ls3 needs intake, water pump and accessories iirc.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #3
Macdaddy1

I used the speed engineering mounts that you can adjust if needed and stock perches and they fit great. I agree with Clyde65. Get the truck up and running with as much of the stock components and then figure what mods to do. The mods will take alot of research, time and money.
Macdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:06 AM   #4
Overdriven

There’s a whole bunch related to intake swaps answered here
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=768531

I’m not sure if it was mentioned in that thread but the LQ4 cylinder heads are cathedral port. The LS6 intake is cathedral port as well but the LS3 is rectangle port. The are spacer kits out there to adapt rectangle port intakes to cathedral port heads but it’s generally not worth it (intakes are fairly inexpensive) unless you’re adapting something like a rectangle port supercharger to a cathedral port cylinder head.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Thanks for the info. I didn't have stock small block mounts. I had the 72 BBC mounts (sold) and purchased the POL stands. I think I'm with Clyde65. I'm going to get this thing in and running and then make it pretty later. I"m building somewhat of a show truck, so the looks of the engine are important. I am now leaning toward shaving my truck intake and living with that until and LS6 intake comes along at the right price. I will just move the ac up for now and wait on the water pump and alt/ps brackets after I find the intake. This is going to be a journey. I finally gave up on finding a 454 to rebuild. Wouldn't you know it! Someone posted a complete 454 out of an RV with 40k miles on it for $1,700 yesterday!! LOL
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #6
Heavymetl

The TBSS/NNBS intake is much better looking in my opinion and would install with minimal effort, as its tall enough to work with the truck water pump.

Ad for air conditioning, you'll definitely need a high mount compressor.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
Tork?

You can run a car intake no problem with trimming the truck high mount alt. bracket and swapping to LS3 Camaro water pump & tensioner. I think it may need idler relocation bracket Dirty Dingo makes one. The 10+ Camaro belt spacing is the same as the trucks. Here's a good step by step YouTube video on the exact topic. https://youtu.be/YiOSBMka-1E

I recommend buying wp on eBay bc they're about 200 more at local parts places.
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #8
Tork?

Also when swapping to car intake try to find one as complete as possible bc all the little things will nickel and dime you... Injectors, fuel rail, tb, map sensor, etc.

And if you want LS3 intake like has been said you'll need cathedral to square port adapters, and for a few hundred more than adapters you can pick up some used LS3/l92 heads which are some of the best factory GM heads. Plus ls3 is dbw so if your harness is dbc that's another cost. Otherwise, ls6 is best factory intake worth ~10hp over LS1 intake. There isn't much power to gain moving truck to ls1 intake and I think truck is known to make more tq. Regardless car intake with ls3 wp is definitely a much cleaner look up top and with radiator hose routing!
Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote